Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How does the 1050 primer linkage work?

I have looked everywhere trying to find out how the linkage is supposed to be set up,  I just purchased a 1050 it worked fine, then the primer quit actuating, the machine wouldn't  go down completely and I noticed it was hitting the primer bar, after looking at how I think the machine should work it the linkage was actuating the primer bar,  I dont have a clue how this happened everything was really tight,  I loosened it up lowered it down tried to align but I'm not sure if its right. it does work fine now. I would like to get information on how its supposed to be set to make sure I have it right.

Thanks 

I wonder why my press never came with this?  thanks for the link looks like I installed it correctly, does any have any idea why it moved?  I never heard or saw anything move, I was on my first hundred and this happened about the first 50. 

The silver part on the primer tube needs to be adjusted.  The round cam that's attached to it is what moves the lever that moves the slide with the pimer.   See photos below.  Top photos is handle all the way up, center photo is handle all the way down, and bottom photo is handle near center of throw.

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

Edited by ltdmstr

excellent thanks for the pics, mine had moved up and also it had twisted but its was very tight I find it hard to believe that if could move being that tight,  I lowered mine back down and rotated it so that it was in line the tab at the bottom of the linkage I inserted it in the primer slide I assume that is correct.    

49 minutes ago, 22h2 said:

excellent thanks for the pics, mine had moved up and also it had twisted but its was very tight I find it hard to believe that if could move being that tight,  I lowered mine back down and rotated it so that it was in line the tab at the bottom of the linkage I inserted it in the primer slide I assume that is correct.    

While ltdmstr posted some great pics, I don't think the Primer Arm Cam Assembly is too different from the RL1100.  When mine moved from being too loose from the factory, it was locking up the press!

What I found out from inside Dillon, was that the bottom tip of the Slide Actuating Lever is supposed to be about the thickness of a dime (.053") off the floor of the primer slide channel when the handle is all the way down, with the Actuating Lever all the way towards the front.  Just so it doesn't rub the channel floor during operation.  This determines the height above the toolhead of the silver Lever Arm Bracket.  Also, the tip of the Lever sits in front of the slide roll pin sleeve. 

For rotation of the silver Bracket, the Slide Actuating Lever should be parallel with the press which will place the Lever approximately middle ways of the roll pin sleeve.

Couple of pics of the 1100's assembly that I hope will help clarify things.  The pic with the ruler shows the height of my silver Bracket above the toolhead with the handle/toolhead all the way down.

HTHs!

Primer Arm.png

Primer Arm Height.png

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

Keep in mind the toolhead height on the 1100 is different than on 1050, so the height shown in that photo is probably going to be off.  All you need to do is set the height so the slide is all the way back when the toolhead is at the top, and low enough so it's all the way in and not binding when the handle is all the way down.  I set the clamp loose enough to adjust, then run a couple cycles and some trial and error to get it right.  Usually takes about 30 seconds.

Keep in mind the toolhead height on the 1100 is different than on 1050, so the height shown in that photo is probably going to be off.

True.........so maybe someone with a CORRECTLY adjusted S1050 Primer Arm can stick a ruler on top and give the OP a good reference point........

[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I measured mine this morning and its about the same as the 4 inch shown in the pic,  I ran 30 through it with no issues.  it would be interesting if someone could post a pic of a 1050 set correctly and see if and how much of a difference there was. 

18 minutes ago, 22h2 said:

I measured mine this morning and its about the same as the 4 inch shown in the pic,  I ran 30 through it with no issues.  it would be interesting if someone could post a pic of a 1050 set correctly and see if and how much of a difference there was. 

17 minutes ago, 22h2 said:

Hogrider did you have a 1050 before your 1100?  if so is there a lot of difference?  

22h2:

Since #ltdmstr posted a pic above with the handle/toolhead (2nd Pic) all the way down, I'm not sure if that's enough visual cue to help you with your height setting of the silver bracket.  As he mentions above, the distance will probably be different since the S1050 has a stroke long enough to load 30-06 (3.34") while the RL1100 will only load .308 (2.75")......

I moved from 20+ years of the XL650 platform straight to the RL1100; so I have not owned a 1050 series.  While there are some "slight" differences in the Priming Systems of both platforms, there are many similarities between the two!

The S1050 system:

S1050 Primer System.png

The RL1100 Upper assembly:

RL1100 Primer Upper.png

The RL1100 Lower assembly

RL1100 Primer Lower.png

As you can see, if we disregard the lower ratchet assembly, they are very similar in operation!

Again, IMO, follow the height settings and parallel settings I mentioned above; and that should get you right in the ballpark for initial settings.  

And, READ THE MANUAL!  ;)

HTHs!

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

thanks Hogrider, I think I'm close and its working,  I wished I knew why it changed or what happened to cause the issue so I don't make the mistake again,  as far as the manual I'm really disappointed in the quality of detail. I had nothing to show me how the unit goes together or should be set up, I would have thought there would have been a trouble shooting guide for common issues, luckily I have a little experience and understood the concept,  I re read the instruction again this morning but its not clear, from the instruction on how to set the arm.  

thanks for the help and the schematics 

17 minutes ago, 22h2 said:

thanks Hogrider, I think I'm close and its working,  I wished I knew why it changed or what happened to cause the issue so I don't make the mistake again,  as far as the manual I'm really disappointed in the quality of detail. I had nothing to show me how the unit goes together or should be set up, I would have thought there would have been a trouble shooting guide for common issues, luckily I have a little experience and understood the concept,  I re read the instruction again this morning but its not clear, from the instruction on how to set the arm.  

thanks for the help and the schematics 

22h2:

I've had the Upper Primer Assembly come loose early on in my start-up of the RL1100.  And since I was primarily concentrating on the left side of the machine, I had no idea what caused it/or when it happened.  Dillon Tech felt that it was not properly tightened when it left the factory.  So, I got involved with a tech there that did a pretty good job of explaining the initial setup and things to check prior to starting a loading session.

Referring to my notes, it was line the silver bracket (#13001 on your 1050) with the bolt slightly loose.  Also, apply some blue loctite to the threads of that bolt!  With the press empty, place the handle all the way down.  The rear pin in the toolhead will line up the primer slide (forward) in the correct position.  This is where you want the 11003 Slide Actuating Lever to be vertical as shown in ltdmstr's Pic #2 above.  The bottom tip of that lever needs to be approximately .050" up off the floor of the channel that the primer slide travels in.  Next, you want to line up that same Slide Actuating Lever to be parallel with the side of the press!  Looking from the rear, it should be centered on the #14990 Slide Roll Pin Sleeve.  Here's how my RL1100 looks using the same alignment procedures: 

Primer Slide Lever Rear.png

This "should" get you going until a veteran S1050 user can chime in and offer any updates/corrections to our discussion.  Or call Dillon Tech Support on Monday.

Good Luck!

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp