Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S2 Hammer Spring

Newer shadow 2 owner, looking to have complete reliability but swap the hammer spring, have a few questions. 

Whats the lowest weight hammer spring are you able to run 100% reliably with all primers (cci, or other harder primers)? 

Are you running an extending firing pin and or reduced firing pin spring, is this needed?

How deep are you seating primers ?

How often are you changing the hammer spring?

Edited by Tnbb33

13# with a reduced power FP spring should light everything off, including stuff like the hard Wolf primers. 11.5# should be 100% with all the soft-medium primers (Federal, Win., Fiocchi), but I had maybe 1/50-1/100 light strikes with factory ammo like S&B.

I’m using an 11.5# hammer spring, reduced power firing pin, extended firing pin and 11# recoil spring for my shadow 2. So far, I haven’t experience any light strikes with federal, Winchester and CCI. 

I seat the primers about .004” below flush using my Dillon RL1100.

20 hours ago, George16 said:

I’m using an 11.5# hammer spring, reduced power firing pin, extended firing pin and 11# recoil spring for my shadow 2. So far, I haven’t experience any light strikes with federal, Winchester and CCI. 

I seat the primers about .004” below flush using my Dillon RL1100.

this, ignites all.

13 pound.  especially in this period where we are shooting anything we can get our hands on.  I used to run 11.5 with tuned ammo 100%.  11.5 is still fine a lot of the time, maybe like 80-90%.  enough light strikes it was an issue, went back to 13.  For your SA pull, barely a perceivable difference. may add about a pound or so to your DA pull.  but still way better than stock (15-17 pounds?)

One of my guns runs reliably with a 13lb all the time, extended fp and light fp spring.  One of my guns runs reliably with a 11.5lbs Spring. I could not get the first gun to run reliably with a 11.5lb spring so I switched both to 13lb for consistency. 

Factory firing pin and spring, 11.5 lb mainspring.  CCI primers with a 1050 so they are seated properly.  The factory springs I just replace at the end of the season but probably is not necessary.  I found the extended firing pin and light spring was more of a headache than necessary as I had to replace the spring a couple times a year as it was so weak that it wouldn't hold the firing pin stop in place.  All three guns are setup the same.

Edited by zen_grasshopper

I've only tested CZC 12 and 13lb, no lower.

With reduced power firing pin spring and extended firing pin I've yet to find a primer the 12s can't ignite, so thats what I put in everything except my EDC Shadow 1.  I have a 13 in it "just in case" but as I accumulate more and more rounds downrange on guns with 12s without issue that may also sport a 12 someday.

13# Hammer spring + XFP in my guns. My previous 11.5# springs ran into issues with my practice ammo (Win primers loaded via LNL). The heavier spring brought it back to complete reliability. 

I've used an 11lb and had a few light strikes with the cajun gun works pro package that I installed.  I switched to the 13lb and had no issues at all.