Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help for a 40 major load

jtaylor996

I'm using titegroup and blue 180's for my minor load, but so far everything I've tried with titegroup or N320 hasn't yeilded accurate results with a major load.

I have a bunch of the berry's 165 plated RN bullets, so I'm thinking of using that. If you were trying to get major with that bullet, what OAL and powder would you use? I have: titegroup, n320, wst, ramshot comp, CFE pistol, autocomp (not much).

N320 has been a very popular powder for .40 major for 20+ years and is still the best, or one one of the best, choices.  If you're having accuracy issues, I doubt it's the powder.  For 165g bullets, I've had good results using 5.4g N320 with SNS coated flat points loaded to 1.180.

What size are your blues, 400 or 401,,?
Tight group, WST are used by many 40 major shooters. Will produce good ammo. 
OAL is gonna depend on your gun, chamber, mags, function . Not gonna make much of an accuracy difference for action games.
Good luck with plated, never had good experience with them

Edited by Joe4d

13 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

N320 has been a very popular powder for .40 major for 20+ years and is still the best, or one one of the best, choices.  If you're having accuracy issues, I doubt it's the powder.  For 165g bullets, I've had good results using 5.4g N320 with SNS coated flat points loaded to 1.180.

I was actually using BBI 180s when I had the issue. Then they changed the mold and I switched to blue (what I have now). The blue are 401.

The BBI would make a nice 2" group out of my SVI at 25yd with a titegroup minor load. I tried ladders in titegroup and 320 at major power with the same bullet (BBI) and never got similar groups off a bag at 25yd. Same bullet and OAL (1.200"), though.

Maybe I should forget what I learned from the BBI, and try titegroup and n320 ladders again? I kinda would prefer to save my n320 for 9, though, which is why I was thinking of going with the WST I have on hand.

wst makes a good coated bullet 40 major load as well.
Think you may need to drop back and punt.
You are using powder and bullets others do well with, so probably not that.
You have any SPP ? maybe the rifle primers are causeing problems. Could try a tighter crimp. Also, have you pulled a bullet and remeasured diameter ? Like is your loading process swagging down the bullet to a smaller size ?
Maybe you have a short throat or chamber and your pressure is getting too high. Did you chrono your major ladder ? How was the SD and was the velocity gains consitent ?
maybe for your gun app, might need to step down to a slower powder.

Well I just loaded up a test ladder. Berry's 165 FP, 1.200" OAL, WST from 4.8 - 5.5gr (winchester has that as 1003fps in a load they list for this bullet at the COL, but from a shorter barrel), CCI 500 primers (I'll test switching to SRP later). We'll see if any of that works. I'll head to the range with the chrono tomorrow to see how it goes. I think if it's accurate with the SPP, I'll load some up with SRP at the accurate charge and just verify the SRP doesn't make everything go to crap.

To clarify, I gave up on coated 180s for major. I bought a bunch of these 165 FP when bullets.com went out of business, so I want to use them for major for now. This is a new load I haven't tried yet. I'll use the coated blues for minor, which I shoot a lot more of.

This is an old SVI police trade in (yes, such a thing was issued with a 1.75# trigger!), so it's got a quite long throat.

No pressure signs on any primers on any ladders so far. I've pulled bullets no change in dia, in fact I can reuse anything I pull. When I pull the blue 180s, even the coating isn't scratched. Crimp is just enough to remove the bell (bell is just enough for the hornady bullet feed die to work). I'm loading on an LNL, Lee U die, hornady powder measure (universal through funnel), hornady bullet feed die, and then a redding comp seating die, finally a lee factory crimp die. I case gauge every round on a LE wilson gauge.

well for what its worth back in day when I was partially worth a flip. My prefered load was Precision 170 gr moly bullets over WST, at 1000 fps.. I was running a 6" STI bull barrel. The 170's just seemd to run better and flatter. the 180 and 200's kinda went Cathunk cathunk, like slow motion.

I tested WST loads today. All at 25yd over the chrono. 

best group with the 165fp that made major was 5.5gr giving me a 7.31” group (sucky). 

SwWM7HX.jpg

After I was done with major loads I ran my accurate minor load 180 blue fp over 3.4gr titegroup. 4.08” group. 
HafEUJj.jpg

Any ideas? I like my minor load but the gun gets hella hot and dirty. 

still looking for the unicorn major load. Should I stay with 165? Try another powder? Keep powder and bullet but shorten oal?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I was actually using BBI 180s when I had the issue. Then they changed the mold and I switched to blue (what I have now). The blue are 401.

Blue doesn't make any of their 40 cal bullets in 401, they are all 400. I would definatley try a different coated bullet in 401. I would bet on that before considering powder, etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I finally found something decent. All my troubles may have just been with my redding comp seat die having huge variances. I took the spring out and ran a test ladder at 1.160 and 1.180, and the 1.180 4.5gr n320 as acceptable, so I'll load that moving forward. I should chuck the redding seat die soon, too.