Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning a comp

m700

I cleaned my 320 yesterday with a PMM ultra comp for the first time since installing the comp. It was about 1000 rounds in and the carbon on the comp looks impossible to get off, so i skipped it. How do I clean this thing. I was thinking perhaps hanging it over the ultrasonic and dipping just hte comp in. My concern with this is its an optic slide so i dont want to remove the optic and have to rezero(it was dead nuts on first install though). I also am not sure what ultrasonic will do with rockset on threads.

how should I go about this. Or should I just clean the barrel and leave the comp filty and put a new one on in a year or so

@m700 what bullet and powder are you using? You now see why many of us with compensated PCCs or Open guns will run a TMJ, plated or JHP bullet.

No coated bullets, and also something which leaves no lead exposed at the base of the bullet, so not your typical FMJ.

Soak the comp in kroil for a day or two before trying anything else. It can’t hurt and it might just do the trick.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Up to now 115s plated. I had picked up 6000 or so blues but I got them before the comp. I suppose I should save the rest of what I have in plated for this one and hide these blues elsewhere. I got kroil at work so I'll give it a try

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’ve been using kroil for a while now, I swab my comp after I shoot and let it sit till the next time, it will loosen the crud that’ll get blown out the next time I shoot.
I like the sound of this. I used to be extreme with cleaning. 2 kids now makes having sorry find not as big a deal

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 11:57 AM, zzt said:

Take the barrel out and lay it down horizontally.  Put one drop of CorrosionX in each port and wait.  It will eventually soften and you can scrape it out as a soft black goo.

Thanks for the tip. I had a comp on a .22 rifle that had fired a few hundred lead loads, with leading in the front ports, and crud in the rest of the comp. Out of Kroil. Took a small pill bottle, put the comp in it, filled it with Corrosion X and let it sit two days. After that a small center punch easily knocked the lead out of the holes, and a 40 cal brush from the rear took out everything else. Cor X worked, and it will not harm metal in any way. I have used it for many years as a lube for .22 actions because it doesn't hold fouling, and for trigger lube on all pistols. It's the only thing I will lube a revolver with. Kroil might be a bit better on comp cleaning, but Cor X worked.

• 3 weeks later...