Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cross-eye dominance and grip

leam

I'm left handed and right eye dominant. I have to either cant the gun to the left, so the top of the back strap is on the thumb's knuckle instead of the webbing between the thumb and the pointer finger. Or I can bend my left hand backwards slightly, which seems odd. Is there a better way to deal with this?

I'm left handed and right eye dominant. I have to either cant the gun to the left, so the top of the back strap is on the thumb's knuckle instead of the webbing between the thumb and the pointer finger. Or I can bend my left hand backwards slightly, which seems odd. Is there a better way to deal with this?

Just cant your head slightly to the gun and grip the gun hard with your support hand. Everything else is stupid. I'm the opposite direction of your issue

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’m right handed and left eye dominant. I just put scotch tape on my glasses over my left eye so I can see under it.  That’s the only way I can shoot without seeing two front sights. I tried using my left eye without the tape, but saw two front sights. 

if it works without covering an eye, I say just use your dominant eye.

Get a normal grip, align the sights with your non-dominant eye, and then move the rear of the gun toward your dominant eye until the sights are aligned with your dominant eye. Don’t move your head or adjust your grip. Either of those brings another variable into your set-up for each shot. 

I'm right handed and left eye dominant.

With open sights I place the handgun in front of my dominant eye. I find this more relaxed than tilting my head. I experimented a bit with grip panels to make me naturally position the gun right in my grip. A thinner right panel will make the gun point slightly to the right and vice versa. 

With a red dot I place the handgun/dot in front of my non-dominant eye. This makes me use target focus and seeing clearly with my dominant eye, the non-dominant eye picks up the dot. 

I prefer to not lean, tilt or fight eye-dominance with patches etc, for me it is easier to adjust the grip of the gun and learn to index the gun so I can stand relaxed and use my eyes the way they work. Been shooting this way for years now and I don't think about it anymore, I just draw the gun and shoot. 

Edited by mrd

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 9:58 AM, mrd said:

I'm right handed and left eye dominant.

With open sights I place the handgun in front of my dominant eye. I find this more relaxed than tilting my head. I experimented a bit with grip panels to make me naturally position the gun right in my grip. A thinner right panel will make the gun point slightly to the right and vice versa. 

With a red dot I place the handgun/dot in front of my non-dominant eye. This makes me use target focus and seeing clearly with my dominant eye, the non-dominant eye picks up the dot. 

I prefer to not lean, tilt or fight eye-dominance with patches etc, for me it is easier to adjust the grip of the gun and learn to index the gun so I can stand relaxed and use my eyes the way they work. Been shooting this way for years now and I don't think about it anymore, I just draw the gun and shoot. 

It takes a lot of dry fire practice to get that gun to come up in front of the dominate eye.  You need to do this dry fire in all of the common positions until it becomes natural.   It is a lot of work but once done it sticks and it is the best solution, not the easiest or fastest.  The kicker is the dry fire helps your shooting as well. 

14 minutes ago, CocoBolo said:

It takes a lot of dry fire practice to get that gun to come up in front of the dominate eye.  You need to do this dry fire in all of the common positions until it becomes natural.   It is a lot of work but once done it sticks and it is the best solution, not the easiest or fastest.  The kicker is the dry fire helps your shooting as well. 

Thanks! This is my plan, though I'm still getting my big bahookie into a daily habit. I do like the way I can quickly bring the sights on-line as I practice more.

I'm right handed and VERY strong left eye dominant - to the point that I don't really use my right eye for much of anything other than peripheral vision!  I hold the dot/gun in front of my left eye.  I used to face square to the target, but I (finally) found that a left foot forward stance naturally brings the gun up in front of my dominant eye.  Just this change took my first shot from holster to target from about 1.8 sec down to about 1.3 sec!  

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 12:06 PM, mvmojo said:

I'm right handed and VERY strong left eye dominant - to the point that I don't really use my right eye for much of anything other than peripheral vision!  I hold the dot/gun in front of my left eye.  I used to face square to the target, but I (finally) found that a left foot forward stance naturally brings the gun up in front of my dominant eye.  Just this change took my first shot from holster to target from about 1.8 sec down to about 1.3 sec!  

I'm the same way. I had very poor instruction when I first shot handguns (USAF CATM instructors are way behind the times!).  I was repeatedly told i jad to shoot Weaver, and that i would never shoot well due to "cross dominance issues.". It was BS.

Later, I got some quality instruction, and was told just put the pistol up in front of the dominant eye and go to work.  I ended up with the left foot slightly forward, and my headed turned a little to the right. My shooting rapidly improved once I realized cross dominance is not a big deal.

I think the issue of eye dominance is overblown.  Really, when is the last time someone who isn't cross dominant worried about eye dominance when shooting " weak hand?"  Ever heard an instructor mention eye dominance when teaching someone who is not cross dominant about shooting "weak hand?"

I've got a LOT of room for improvement in my shooting, but cross dominance is absolutely the least of my concerns.

• 1 month later...

I'm a new shooter and I've been struggling with this as well.  I have been moving the gun to my eye rather than my eye to the gun, under the theory that 1. vision is critical and shouldn't be messed with and 2. muscle tension bad.

However, I do find that it creates more angles in my wrists and grip than I'm happy about.   I had recently tried moving my non-dominant foot further forward (as suggested above) and I think it helps.  I'm going to try this more so thank you!