Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Shell Plate Jerking

70A3077D-2310-45B9-B0F7-EA5A9CC7F18E.thumb.jpeg.e45d39c34d4777feed336615306397e2.jpegLike most, I've had an issue with the shell plate jerking into position. I've tried several fixes including the thrust bearing. Here is the best solution that I've found.
A thin piece of leather, 1/16" thick that I cut on a laser. It works great! My prototype was felt and it worked good, but not this good. 

I removed the thrust bearing and everything is back factory with the added leather washer. Barney purple was all I had but I'm rolling with it!

My best solution before I got a bullet feeder was to place my finger on plate as it reached bottom of stroke. My hand was there ready with a bullet anyway. The detent spring reduction did help me too. Now that I'm using bullet feeder I'm just dealing it's not that bad for me 9 and 45 are both less than half full and everything else is bottle neck

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, ddc said:

How does the washer affect the shell plate jerk?

I guess it's not obvious to me.

Thanks!

Yeah, it's just a point of friction and completely smooths out the shellplate indexing. I tried cutting the detent spring, changing the detent ball to nylon, adding the thrust bearing, adding grease to the thrust bearing... It all helped, but this seems to have fixed it. Granted, I've only loaded 1600 like this, but so far we're grand 

• 4 months later...

Well, the big thing is adjusting what I call the rotocam actuator. 

It is that bearing block below the stage, the gold one. 

A knock-off of mine... but it is slotted.  Runs on the ring-indexer. 

You have to play with the adjustment so that it turns your shell plate to exact position. 

When that ball pops up under the shell plate, nothing is supposed to move at all. 

If the ball moves the shell-plate, you are out of time. 

All that ball is supposed to do is hold the plate in position... not index it.