Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat vs Round Wire Recoil Springs

Fergus

I recently changed out the recoil springs in my 1911 from a 14# flatware spring to a 14# round wire spring. I noticed that there was a difference in length of 0.75 inch (2cm). That seems like a really big difference in length.

Does anyone happen to know if that is "normal" or why there is such a big difference? 

Should I be looking at cutting the round wire spring?

Would appreciate some help here.

Thanks

Edited by Fergus

AHI

I've heard that but I'm not sure I believe it. I recognize the flatware spring is going to have more coils per inch and could be a bit shorter as such but almost an inch seems like a lot. As for worn out springs I've only seen 1 recoil spring worn out and that was on my P226 and it was considerably longer than the new spring. My problem is that I think a worn out spring would tend to lose its coils (lengthen) not gain them and become shorter. Thinking out loud here but - wouldn't it take more energy to wind something tighter than just becoming limp. (Again that's just my opinion and not a fact). 

9 hours ago, taxil343 said:

Perfectly normal.  I would advise against cutting coils unless you go down in weight.  Shortening a spring increases the rate effectively making it stronger than the stated weight that was measured at full length.

Looks like I will be hunting around for a flat wire spring as a replacement then. Just not comfortable with that length difference.

Does the slide go all the way back ? Cycle the gun with no spring, make a note of its max travel then put the spring in and look. As long as you8 are not getting spring bind all is well. 
Honestly though I think you are worrying about nothing.  Does the gun work ?

First, why are you replacing the spring? Unlike round wire recoil springs, flat wire springs have a life expectancy of up to 40,000 cycles.

And if you do indeed need to replace the spring, EGW sells flatwire springs, as does ISMI. And with ISMI, if you don't see the spring you need on their website, give them a call. They stock many sizes(Government vs Compact) in various weights, that they do not list on their website. I called, and was able to get lower weight springs for my Springfield RO gun that weren't listed on the web page.

Also, if you change to round wire springs, you should get an appropriate recoil guide rod. Flat wire springs use a smaller diameter guide rod. So even though a round wire spring will fit over the flat wire guide rod, it will have a lot of free play.

Edited by Postal Bob

Joe4d -  yes the slide goes all the way back and the gun does work but the springs are original and have about 20k rounds through them. So I thought it was time to change out as springs are reasonably cheap  maintenance.

Postal Bob - I did not know about the smaller diameter guide rod and the fit. I 'm going to order flat wire springs  - I believe you when you say they don't list all springs on the website so will give them a call.

Thanks for the info.