Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio GCE getting locked open

KB007

I seem to have developed a new issue with my Tanfo Gold Custom Eric.

the short version: it gets locked open randomly before the mag is empty. Pushing the slide stop down releases it and loads the next round.

the long version: gun has been running fairly well lately, with main load being wac usually somewhere between 7.2-7.4 gr, using a 124 jrn at 1.162 +/- oal.  It started a couple of weeks ago, so gave it a full cleaning and after that didn’t help, I replaced the slide stop. No change. Had a 10.5 lb spring in it, changed it put for 11.5. Made a slight difference, but still had it happen on both 7.2 and 7.4 gr loads.

Happens on all my mags. I have a thumb rest, so thumb is nowhere near slide stop.

I’m at a loss to figure out what’s causing this or even what to try next. Even heavier spring to try to get the slide back forward quicker? 

Have you taken the slide off & inserted a loaded mag to see if the bullet ogive is engaging the slide stop? Remember, the cartridges are often pulled forward by the friction of the round above chambering......so, pull one slightly forward & see if it interferes with the slide stop.

• 2 weeks later...

I randomly engage the slide lock on all my Tanfoglios when I have a proper grip.

I also have thumb rests.

That’s why I cut off the slide lock tab every time it exists.

There is a spring pushing down on the slide lock.  If that is in place, it has to be outside interference.  Mag geometry in Tanfos is such that the bullet should never interact with the factory slide lock.

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried a couple of things: 1) bent in the LHS mag lip a few thousands just to be sure there was nothing getting in the way.  2) tried loading out to 1.17 again, more as a process of elimination type thing.  Also replaced the slide stop just to be sure.

I also put a thin piece of tape on my thumb rest to keep my thumb a little out from the frame.  Seems to have stopped after that.  I guess somehow I was bending my thumb a little and pushing inward to push up the slide stop without knowing I was even doing it.  Odd that I only started doing this now after owning the gun for close to 3 years, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

The Gold Custom Eric flip is sharp and fast - it has a tendency to cause slides to lock and mags to drop when other open guns wouldn’t.

if your mag starts dropping - I filed down my mag catch a little and polished - worked like a charm.