Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

End Times

konkapot

End Times  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Given your current primer inventory, how long will you be able to actively participate in USPSA? This includes matches and practice.

• 3 months
    • 3-6 months
    • 6-12 months
    • More than a year.

Not looking to know many primers you have, just curious how long you'll be able to keep shooting. I know winter is coming, and for some shooters that reduces their ammo usage. The question assumes that you might have to cut back on practice or matches. 

I only just started reloading this year (for my 9mm guns, my mantra was always, "It should run on factory ammo"), so my idea of 'enough primers' was a little warped. It didn't help that I inherited a bunch of CCI primers, which my revolver does not much care for. I've got about 800 Federal primers left, and probably 1200 or so CCI guys, which I could shoot in a pinch if I put a heavier hammer spring in.

Hopefully, I can score 5000 or so off of an Ammoseek alert, which should keep me in shooting through next year.

34 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

when someone says "i have a year of primers" i don't know what that means. if i said i had a year of small pistol primers it would mean i had over 40,000 of them. in my world, 5k of primers isn't a year's worth.

I shoot 15-20k a year. I think I'm going to start keeping 30+ on hand once this shortage is over. I currently have 7k plus what ever I have loaded. But after Nat's my ammo usage will drop to almost nothing for the next 4-5 months.  Hopefully I can score some primers by then.

Everybody's year is different. Wasn't setting this up for people to posture/brag about how much they shoot; just sniffing around a little bit to see when participation in matches might start to significantly drop off. 

Mike-Do you normally take that much time off during the year?

6 minutes ago, konkapot said:

Everybody's year is different. Wasn't setting this up for people to posture/brag about how much they shoot; just sniffing around a little bit to see when participation in matches might start to significantly drop off. 

Yes, I stop live fire practicing because there aren't any major matches again until spring. Most ranges in the area stop holding USPSA club matches during the winter too. Now my local club started up and will continue through winter so I'll probably still shoot those. But that's only like 150 rounds a month, that wont really drain my supply. 

Typically I stop dry fire from when ever my last major of the year is until around the 1st of the year too. I think it's good to take a break from it. At least the training part, you can't push hard year round....or at least I don't want to. 

If my primer supply gets low I'll cut out club matches before I cut out training or majors when the season gets going again. 

I'm sitting on 12K SPP going into the end of the season.  I'm going to cut back on the leagues/oddball pistol shoots over the winter and only shoot the monthly indoor registered match.

I'm also going to spin up my rifle shooting, particularly my precision long range shooting which I have been neglecting.  Got 15K large rifle primers so I'm good for a long while there.

2 hours ago, konkapot said:

i didn't intend to be snotty or bring a real number into it.

i bought some but then shot more. so for me right now, if all I did was shoot matches and practice one day a week i will be done with any centerfire pistol shooting in 4 months; with what i have on hand in the garage right now.

like many the only limiting factor for me right now is small pistol primers. first we have to have an election and the the rebound from that, then the 2nc covid wave will induce more panic buying and then we'll have to wait for the manufacturers to catch up on their stuff before components for private reloaders arrive in quantity. my guess is we are able to buy primers at will again in july.

@mike not challenging you at all. I struggle with having the discipline to take a break. 

My understanding (I read it somewhere?) was that most of the primers go directly into ammunition. Winchester/Federal/CCI et all prioritize ammo vs. reloaders. 

i would love to see a legit spreadsheet with hard numbers as to where the primers go. 

I, like probably most of you, check pretty religiously online and I've yet to see the tide come in or go out on primers. The tide, at least for the past couple weeks, is always out. 

I can't give you a time, because I don't know how many matches will be cancelled.  Last year we had a relatively warm Winter with little snow.  So we shot all Winter.  The deal around here is if the wind chill is 25 or lower, or if there is snow and/or ice on the ground, the match gets cancelled.  Some years Mar is the first match that isn't cancelled.  In others it's Apr.  With the amount I have already loaded and the primers on hand, I can shoot about 30 local 5/6 stage matches with a little practice.  Reasonable practice would drop that to 25.  In either case, that is less than one year.

we're down to 20k primers (for 2 people). I am at a point where I am able to get a LOT out of dryfire, so we reduced our live-fire shooting a month or so ago. 6 months or so at the reduced live-fire practice schedule is what I figure. Might be able to extend that by switching to ss/l10 for a bit because i have 7k of LPP as well. I'm hoping we'll see primers available in the next 3-4 months, but if not we'll just ride dirtbikes more.

I'm good for a year with no slow down. Having said that, I will slow down a bit just to be sure. After the scare my new "zero level" will be 50k primers. Probably more over time.... I'm only 2 years into loading, but it seems that bullets and powder can always be scrounged up.