Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Falling plate match question

1911vm

I have been shooting for years. IDPA 3GUN  etc.. its hard to believe but I have never shot a falling plate match and never even watched one. I want to do a 3gun version at my club. But have no idea how that works.  How to make sure that everybody gets a few runs. And its fair for everybody with different skill levels. Tried to do some search on line. And did not find anything.  Any information would be great.  Thank you. 

How would you set up a falling plate match in PractiScore? What match type would you use if the match consisted solely of say 5 stages of 20-30 pieces of knockdown steel and nothing else? Your time is your score, with any targets left standing at the end of a run is assessed a 5 second penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Cuz said:

How would you set up a falling plate match in PractiScore? What match type would you use if the match consisted solely of say 5 stages of 20-30 pieces of knockdown steel and nothing else? Your time is your score, with any targets left standing at the end of a run is assessed a 5 second penalty.

Time plus.

Like Shootoffs then.  As long as you have shooters of reasonably equal skill level, it works well.  When everyone knows who will win, then the interest in man-on-man fades out.  Then you can get into all kinds of handicapping if you want.

Sounds like a good idea but If it's all man vs man/shootoffs it will be hard to get new shooters and keep new shooters. 

How many bays are you working with here? It kinda sounds like your working with only 1. If that's the case go for it but if your trying to do a whole match, just do a regular falling steel match. Multigun style sounds like a good idea but offer a 1 gun division to. 

We have an amazing match here in jersey called old Bridge knock down steel, YouTube it. It's 1 gun at a time up to 2 guns. Shotgun is a ton of fun, the PCC girls are killing it to, sorry I ment guys lol. There have been open shooters taking the overall. Every division is separate though, it's not a run what ya brung. It would be cool do do a 5 stage match with a side man vs man stage, we use to have a match like that here but the fudds shut it down. 

Time plus.

Thanks, but unless I’m missing something Time Plus doesn’t let you set up each stage with the # of targets there are to knock down.

If I’m wrong, please advise.

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

Thanks, but unless I’m missing something Time Plus doesn’t let you set up each stage with the # of targets there are to knock down.
If I’m wrong, please advise.

Most timeplus scoring variants don't score individual targets. You just introduce and assign time-based penalties (hence the "plus" part) to various things like misses (not knocked down steel), penalties, etc.

There are several variants that do have per-target scoring like IDPA, ICORE and UPL. PractiScore has some level of configuration for those penalties, though we don't encourage that.

Also, depending on your match setup and intent you can use point-based scoring. ProAm is like that. Generally you put more steel to the stage than most top guns could knock down in a given par-time. Then scoring is simply number of steel knocked down, minus penalties. The time-based stage is only used there to resolve tie-ins.

Colt Pro Shootout from 1994 which actually aired on ESPN :

set up a par time for each stage.

Their score is the number of plates they knock down in that par time.

Obviously, for just a local club match turning it into a for real skins game like golf will probably be too much...unless you have a group of GM’s and M’s who are willing to put their money where there mouths are.

If you don’t want to do the money/skins part for the “pros”, you could always create a “handicapping system” like shred posted above to separate the pros from the amateurs.

Edited by Chills1994

10 hours ago, louu said:

Sounds like a good idea but If it's all man vs man/shootoffs it will be hard to get new shooters and keep new shooters. 

How many bays are you working with here? It kinda sounds like your working with only 1. If that's the case go for it but if your trying to do a whole match, just do a regular falling steel match. Multigun style sounds like a good idea but offer a 1 gun division to. 

We have an amazing match here in jersey called old Bridge knock down steel, YouTube it. It's 1 gun at a time up to 2 guns. Shotgun is a ton of fun, the PCC girls are killing it to, sorry I ment guys lol. There have been open shooters taking the overall. Every division is separate though, it's not a run what ya brung. It would be cool do do a 5 stage match with a side man vs man stage, we use to have a match like that here but the fudds shut it down. 

the guys from old Bridge used to invite me to go down all the time. I am NOT going to NJ with my standard capacity magazines NO WAY. I hate driving through it. I will piss my pants before stopping. 

21 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Time plus.

actually i may not sure i need a timer . luck of the draw. both shoot both sides .winner group A loser group B. than the same shoot of inside each groups. than winner of each group have a shoot of. that way every body gets 4 runs 

9 hours ago, 1911vm said:

actually i may not sure i need a timer . luck of the draw. both shoot both sides .winner group A loser group B. than the same shoot of inside each groups. than winner of each group have a shoot of. that way every body gets 4 runs 

Does this make sense?  Or am I loosing my mind? 

• 2 months later...

The way we found to keep the lower ability shooters coming back (you can't have much of a match with just a handful of GMs) is to give a trophy or plaque (maybe some cash, too) to the top one or few in each skill class. Have a bunch of donated merchandise prizes in a random drawing that anyone who entered the match can win. That way the good shooters get recognized and rewarded and those who don't have a prayer of outshooting someone else can still enjoy the match and maybe get a nice prize anyway. Sometimes the prizes may be extra stuff the more experienced shooters don't need and want to move on.

A match done like this will start growing once the word gets out that there is something for everyone who shows up.

Edited by Toolguy

• 3 years later...

I run falling steel matches every month in Harrisburg, PA. Our monthly matches still draw around 100 guns after the pandemic. It was more before that fiasco. Our big Mountains of Steel 3-day match is October 11-13, 2024 and we expect over 500 registered guns. Falling steel is very popular around here with the PSA Shootout happening in 3 weeks. This is said to be the largest falling steel match in the country with over 600 guns registered over 4 days of competition. I've attached our rules from 2023 as well as a link on Practiscore so you have something to guide off of. We also do Running Steel which is something like Pro-Am.

Blue Ridge BRSC Falling Steel April 19-20 Registration | PractiScore

Blue Ridge 2023 Rules.pdf

16 hours ago, Djhoran said:

I run falling steel matches every month in Harrisburg, PA. Our monthly matches still draw around 100 guns after the pandemic. It was more before that fiasco. Our big Mountains of Steel 3-day match is October 11-13, 2024 and we expect over 500 registered guns. Falling steel is very popular around here with the PSA Shootout happening in 3 weeks. This is said to be the largest falling steel match in the country with over 600 guns registered over 4 days of competition. I've attached our rules from 2023 as well as a link on Practiscore so you have something to guide off of. We also do Running Steel which is something like Pro-Am.

Blue Ridge BRSC Falling Steel April 19-20 Registration | PractiScore

Blue Ridge 2023 Rules.pdf 282.56 kB · 0 downloads

I bet those are a lot of fun.  I LOVE to shoot knock-down steel...

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

I bet those are a lot of fun.  I LOVE to shoot knock-down steel...

I'm right there with you Cuz!

I tell people all the time that knock down steel is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

I have had a few dozen people at my range shooting knock down. 

As stated there are now 3 or 4 clubs in southern Pa doing it and all of the squads are usually full.

Most do a Lewis class payback so everybody has a chance to win something.