Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polishing mag tubes with neverdull.

NOSHMJ

2 hours ago, Don_B said:

Hmmmm. I have been running the same SV mags since 1995 and can honestly say that I have never polished them. 

If needed they were tuned then have never had an issue with them. 

me 4 unless I'm going to a magazine show then i get out the Mothers polish, corn starch and shine em up good... but i've never got best in show :)

• 4 months later...

Take a old tooth brush and some fine sandpaper 800,1000 or 1500 depending on the mag’s condition wrap about 1 inch section around bush head and run it up and down the inside of a mag,  you might be surprised how unfinished the inside feels before you put a little effort and time into them.   For the outside, as long as they drop free and clear (empty) when my gun is just shy of horizontal I just keep whipped clean, unless I’m really board and I’ve done 800 to 1500 and finish with a buffing wheel.

PURRR-DIE. 👍🏼👍🏼

Take a old tooth brush and some fine sandpaper 800,1000 or 1500 depending on the mag’s condition wrap about 1 inch section around bush head and run it up and down the inside of a mag,  you might be surprised how unfinished the inside feels before you put a little effort and time into them.   For the outside, as long as they drop free and clear (empty) when my gun is just shy of horizontal I just keep whipped clean, unless I’m really board and I’ve done 800 to 1500 and finish with a buffing wheel.

PURRR-DIE. 👍🏼👍🏼

rainy weekend today, hit it with 1000 and 1200 grit and 30 sec polishing by hand (I’m watching a movie) with Lucas metal polish. 

A82F6B64-FC3A-45BE-9232-F754BD5E57A9.jpeg

7C630C3C-AEA7-4F7E-8830-60FC1CD54FBC.jpeg

I just got done sanding my old SVI mags to fit in my new Staccato P. I used tool makers blue ink to find the interference spots. The material in the mags is very thick so I went at them with a dremel first then down the line in sandpaper grades. I stopped at 600 wet as the finish was good enough for me. Now I was 5 140mm that not only work in my 2011 open but also my Staccato P! Cheaper than buying new mags!!! I think I'm going to go after the inside next week after reading this thread. 

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, cecil said:

if I polish my mag tubes... i surely would want to drop them on the ground..

That’s just the price of admission. Mags need to be maintained and mags need to be dropped. 
 I don’t go crazy on my mags but I polish them every winter, put in new springs etc. I drop them all season on concrete, gravel and muddy grass. Just something one has to get over.

I mostly use Nu finish car wax.  I've only used Never Dull once.  Don't remember which mags. I used it on, so no good comparison.

I didn't use never dull to make the mags. shiny, or smoother.  I used the wax and the polish to:

1.  protect the metal of the magazine from moisture/sweat

2. make the rounds load smoother and feed out easier

3. make the mags less likely to pick up/hold dust/dirt than when I use oil to protect the metal surfaces

It works.  Two years of sweating on my mags/pistol when carried IWB and getting water, dirt, sawdust, etc. on it when carried open had proven to me that the wax/polish helps protect the magazines.  I even waxed the whole slide on the big XD Tactical.  Yeah, it's stainless steel, but it still needs some protection/care.

Nope. I dont even clean mags at matches. 3 years with the same mags and I think I have had 5 mag related issues total. And I usually shoot a match every weekend from April to october and at least one major a month.