Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow sight block gun

Ludde

I am starting a new Open gun project and decided to convert my "old" Shadow Open gun into a IPSC Standard Division minor gun with a sight block configuration.

I have not shot it yet but I look forward to seeing how it behaves.

20200921_114719.thumb.jpg.ed3a12f135fab3854f1f33673f1156a7.jpg

20200921_114809.thumb.jpg.31d091a1fb94b622b69b90a30625f889.jpg

20200922_104540.thumb.jpg.d6897a05f0204e655d0a9a2650f95028.jpg

Edited by Ludde

10 hours ago, Ludde said:

I am starting a new Open gun project and decided to convert my "old" Shadow Open gun into a IPSC Standard Division minor gun with a sight block configuration.

I have not shot it yet but I look forward to seeing how it behaves.

20200921_114719.thumb.jpg.ed3a12f135fab3854f1f33673f1156a7.jpg

20200921_114809.thumb.jpg.31d091a1fb94b622b69b90a30625f889.jpg

20200922_104540.thumb.jpg.d6897a05f0204e655d0a9a2650f95028.jpg

This is super cool! Is this a store bought item or something you have machined yourself? I would love to get my hands on one since I can not seem to find a Tac Sport slide in .40 to make my SP-01 into a limited gun.

This gun started its life as a regular Shadow production gun, then I got bored and designed a compensator cone thread adapter to fit off the shelf bull barrel comps.
Cut the slide and frame, threaded the barrel, modified it to allow the barrel to be removed from the front. Lightened the slide. Did not like the off the shelf comp and designed a couple my self that worked better.

Got completely bitten by Open division (nothing else is fun or fast anymore) and will now modify my Shadow 2 to become a compensated open division gun.

So that had me thinking what could I do with my old shadow that is already modified. Let's make a sight block gun to shoot IPSC Standard Division minor with.

I designed the sight block to have as much meat as possible and still fit the box.

With the spring setup you see in the video I actually got better and faster return to zero with some more snappy Maxxtech 115grain factory ammo. And the best part is, they didn't feel that snappy at all compared to a regular Shadow without a sight block.

20200922_191025.thumb.jpg.05bfec9613562ea292efa59196136557.jpg

Edited by Ludde

6 hours ago, Ludde said:

This gun started its life as a regular Shadow production gun, then I got bored and designed a compensator cone thread adapter to fit off the shelf bull barrel comps.
Cut the slide and frame, threaded the barrel, modified it to allow the barrel to be removed from the front. Lightened the slide. Did not like the off the shelf comp and designed a couple my self that worked better.

Got completely bitten by Open division (nothing else is fun or fast anymore) and will now modify my Shadow 2 to become a compensated open division gun.

So that had me thinking what could I do with my old shadow that is already modified. Let's make a sight block gun to shoot IPSC Standard Division minor with.

I designed the sight block to have as much meat as possible and still fit the box.

With the spring setup you see in the video I actually got better and faster return to zero with some more snappy Maxxtech 115grain factory ammo. And the best part is, they didn't feel that snappy at all compared to a regular Shadow without a sight block.

20200922_191025.thumb.jpg.05bfec9613562ea292efa59196136557.jpg

Is there a build thread for this gun? I am very much interested in going this route to build a CZ SP01 Limited Major gun. I was originally going to slap a Tac Sport .40 slide on it and call it a day but like I previously mentioned they seemed to have disappeared.

5 hours ago, LuvDog said:

I hate you... now you have me thinking about doing something similar to my beat up S1.

hahahahahahhahaha

Yea due to miscommunication between myself and the shop I worked at I ended up buying a used SP01 and a new SP01 but with a combined price of under $800 I decided to take them both lol. One I plan on keeping for Production and one I have been wanting to make into a Limited Major gun.

For the Limited gun I was going to put on a Tac Sport .40 slide and a kitchen sink sized magwell and make it SAO. I guess I waited too long and now I can not seem to get a Tac Sport .40 slide but I do have a spare CZ75B in .40 so I can move that slide over, get a threaded barrel, and then figure out a sight tracker solution like you have here. 

5 hours ago, horhey232 said:

CZ SP01 Limited Major gun

The grip is narrower and you'll be at a capacity disadvantage. I think a 140mm .40 mag in the 75 series guns holds 16. I haven't bothered to try, but stock length is 12. In the TS frame guns you can get up to 21 in a 140mm.

1 hour ago, belus said:

The grip is narrower and you'll be at a capacity disadvantage. I think a 140mm .40 mag in the 75 series guns holds 16. I haven't bothered to try, but stock length is 12. In the TS frame guns you can get up to 21 in a 140mm.

True. I shoot Production currently so I have been getting good at reloading lol

So is the sight block just to add weight and keep the muzzle down (in addition to longer radius)?

I just stumbled on this thread doing a search for Shadow threaded barrel. You guys need to stalk the professor. He is the dude about building open poos guns. Mine is in progress, 90 mount and Cmor dot on the way.
Its an SP-01 build full cajun, threaded (and throated) barrel and 11 port SJC comp. Load for 9maj on D650.

Now I'm on the fence about nex build 97 same way or another 01 backup gun.

As far as capacity I can get 23 in with hennig baseplates, good enough for me til chezmate $$$ just falls into my pocket.

Alll.... thanks to atlas...
Ludes build is in this thread below as well..

I think hes been working on long mags.

There IS a shadow 1st gen locally that I could snag and build. How are you going to put a comp on the S2? I asked about thrteaded barrel options to CGW just yesterday and got this:

The only place we are aware of that has threaded barrels for either model is Bar-Sto.  The barrels are about $330 and some of them need quite a bit of fitting which will run $45-$90.

Thanks,
Thomas

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 3:57 PM Brandon Prater <cajungunworks@gmail.com> wrote:
From: Brandon Prater Subject: Threaded barrel for Shadow 1 and/or 97 Message Body: hey, getting ready for my next build. What is the easiest/cheapest way tot get a threaded barrel on a Shadow first Gen? Do you guys have threaded barrels for the 97? Digg your stuff! keep filing! -- This e-mail was sent from a contact form on Cajun Gun Works.open?upn=6qSIEg1-2BS-2FEsaFmyhuJT51xk2zO

Also note that the S2 ext mag catches and safeties fit the 01 - win!

I have a good working design for 170mm base pad for the 18rnd (old) tubes, and I am working on a base pad for the 17rnd chromed (newer mecgar) mags also.

Tested the gun yesterday with a tad heavier main spring. The result got worse in my opinion, too slow slide action and the gun returns even higher than before. Next up is back to the lighter main spring and one step stronger on the recoils spring to snap the slide forward.

The combination of lightened slide (for open) and heavier muzzle weight really highlights the "lack" of forward rotating inertia when the slide moves forward into battery. Which I think is a good thing, easy just to tweak the springs and load to get the correct snappiness and perfect return.

A couple of guys that shoot Major 2011 guns tested it and was quite impressed of it. Now I just need to get it to my liking. Coming from a season of shooting open, everything feels slow and sluggish.. :D

Does anyone know if a Tac Sport barrel will fit in a standard CZ75 slide (minor fitting ok). 

The reason I ask is this barrel should extend past the slide enough to get proper threading on.

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/barrels-complete-upper/cz-barrel-40-s-w-tactical-sports.html

I know you can put a Tac Sport slide on a SP01 with some machining so I am curious if you can fit that barrel to a CZ75b slide in .40

5 hours ago, horhey232 said:

Does anyone know if a Tac Sport barrel will fit in a standard CZ75 slide (minor fitting ok). 

The reason I ask is this barrel should extend past the slide enough to get proper threading on.

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/barrels-complete-upper/cz-barrel-40-s-w-tactical-sports.html

I know you can put a Tac Sport slide on a SP01 with some machining so I am curious if you can fit that barrel to a CZ75b slide in .40

In .40 yes, in 9mm, no.

All .40 barrels are 14mm OD, but 9mm barrels are 12.75mm OD in 75B and 75BSA, but 14mm OD in TS/CM, SP01, Shadow

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

In .40 yes, in 9mm, no.

All .40 barrels are 14mm OD, but 9mm barrels are 12.75mm OD in 75B and 75BSA, but 14mm OD in TS/CM, SP01, Shadow

Awesome. Also had a buddy that owns both to test it. He says some fitting but shouldn't be complex. He advises sending it to CZ Custom which I probably will do.

7 hours ago, horhey232 said:

Awesome. Also had a buddy that owns both to test it. He says some fitting but shouldn't be complex. He advises sending it to CZ Custom which I probably will do.

Barrel fitting is really easy on CZs, you just lightly file on the breech surface of the barrel.  A used barrel will probably drop right in.

2 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Barrel fitting is really easy on CZs, you just lightly file on the breech surface of the barrel.  A used barrel will probably drop right in.

You probably mean the original cz barrels. Because of other companies  like  P.S. and  SLM it's a pretty hard job.