Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with Precision 9mm 125gr RN load with TiteGroup.

Cuz

Hey all, I'm new to coated bullets and seem to be having consistency problems that I never had with Berry's plated bullets.  It's got me starting to question my powder scale, my chrono, and everything in between.  So, for those of you loading Precision bullets, and preferably their 125gr RN, what is your recipe?  What OAL are you using?  It seems that my rough plunk test says 1.08x" is where I should be.  And, regarding crimp, watching the videos on the Precision website, Dave says to use .375-.377".  What I think is a pretty solid crimp measures around .379".  When I go more, it looks like I'm cutting into the coating.  I'm using mixed range brass.

I've been loading 9mm for over 20 years with Berry's 124gr RN, and 4.0gr of TiteGroup and an OAL = 1.139.  Recent bullet availability has me trying out coated bullets.  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Cuz

3.9 gr Titegroup.  This should give you a PF or ~135 in most full size pistols.

My OAL means nothing to you.  Use the OAL you determine you need. 

Set crimp to 0.378" or 0.379" and never worry about it again.

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

Thanks, one more thing, can you guys weigh some of your bullet heads? I weighed about 25 of mine and they all ranged between 126.5 - 127.9 grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not 125 but I weighed 10 of their 150’s 151.1 -151.7 very consistent. 

Edited by will77

Yeah, mine are very consistent weight too, just 1.5gr on the heavy side which had me questioning my Gempro scale. The crimp thing has me a bit concerned too. I’ve been using a Lee Factory Crimp die on my 550B press for many years. Now I saw Dave’s video where he says not to use it with his Precision Bullets and I’m wondering if I should change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For coated bullets, crimp until you make a significant mark on the bullet and then back it off. Using range brass you will have to try a mix of head stamps until a consistent average crimp is found that doesn't dent or make major marks in the bullet. When done you will find the measurement will be somewhere in the ranges posted here, but the emphasis is not about the diameter it is about the effect on the coating of the bullet.

If set back is an issue it isn't the crimp, it's the sizing die. 

There's a huge number of threads dealing with crimps on coated bullets. Do a search and see what has been written.

BTW do not use the Lee FCD (the one with the sizing ring in its base) because, especially with coated lead, it will swage the bullet down.

Edited by HesedTech