Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where Can I Find a Replacement Cylinder Assembly for SW 929?

Pnut

Depending on who answers the phone at S&W, they may or may not sell you one,(that's IF they have one in stock). The last time I called looking for a Model 41 barrel, the CS rep told me to call Brownells or Midway as S&W sells most of their parts through them.

Have your serial# and if possible, the SKU# at hand when you call.

S&W is but a shadow of it's former self.  A pity.

I had to replace my cylinder because of an over charged case that blew it up.  I sent it back to Smith & Wesson so that they could check out the gun and see if it was worth repair.  IT took about 3 months but I got it back.  I no longer load on a press that isn't self rotating.  

Good luck in your search.

929blown cylinder.jpg

On 9/22/2020 at 6:23 AM, AzShooter said:

I had to replace my cylinder because of an over charged case that blew it up.  I sent it back to Smith & Wesson so that they could check out the gun and see if it was worth repair.  IT took about 3 months but I got it back.  I no longer load on a press that isn't self rotating.  

Good luck in your search.

929blown cylinder.jpg

Damn!! 

Are you OK?

Edited by Pnut

Yes.  Thanks for asking.  The gun was new, only had 20 rounds though it,  I double charged it because I wasn't paying attention on my Dillon 550.  I replaced the press with a 650 to get the automatic shell plate rotation and haven't had any problems since.

I sold the 550 to a friend and he blew up his Ruger.  He now looks inside every case to make sure the powder is correct.  I also told him to use Trail Boss because it fills the case.  You can't overcharge because you will see powder pouring from the case.

I killed my mint less then a 100 rounds shot in it 29-5 classic over charge I didn't see that my scale was set on 23.5 instead of 13.5 I was not hurt but it took the windshield out of my truck and destroyed my prized revolver I have learned that no matter how many years you have been reloading CHECK and CHECK again    

20200917_132919_resized.jpg

20200917_132946_resized.jpg

4 minutes ago, MRBerg said:

I found the top strap 45 yds. away I never did find the rear sight or the rest of the cylinder so don't make a $1600 mistake like I did 

20200917_132939_resized.jpg

WoW!!!  That is an expensive way to make a cutaway model of a damn nice gun... $1600 plus a pair of shorts...   Again, WOW!!

On 9/23/2020 at 10:09 PM, Pnut said:

That press is cursed. 

I use a 750 and still look inside every case. It isn't hard to do. 

I recently had a 45/70 BFR blow up. But mine was a squib.

Never had, knock knock on wood!, a double charge with my 550 but I ALWAYS looked into the case when seating the bullet.

I'm using a Super 1050 mostly now and set up a mirror to check the powder on every case.  I'm a bit OCD though.

2 hours ago, Pnut said:

SW is pretty useless. They keep Emailing back saying the cylinder requires fitting by a gunsmith. All I asked them is if they sell the cylinder and how can I order one. 

Did they offer you a shipping label or anything? 

2 minutes ago, MWP said:

Did they offer you a shipping label or anything? 

No need for a label. I will never send anything to them and my cylinder is fine. I just wanted a replacement. 

They finally sent me the part number: 383900000 ... I only had to ask the same question 4 times. 

3 minutes ago, Pnut said:

No need for a label. I will never send anything to them and my cylinder is fine. I just wanted a replacement. 

They finally sent me the part number: 383900000 ... I only had to ask the same question 4 times. 

Can you buy that online or does it have to be over the phone? They give you a price yet?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 1:46 PM, MWP said:

Can you buy that online or does it have to be over the phone? They give you a price yet?

Sorry, I haven't been around. Has to be over the phone. I will give them a call and ask. Got busy with work and the days went by.