Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mixed ammo at a major - ideal chrono declarations/procedure?

random_guy7531

At a L2 last year they picked up a dropped mag from the stage before chrono and thumbed out 8 rounds.  Clever.  Other than that they've collected rounds at the first stage, our choice of rounds.  

Edited by teros135

20 minutes ago, phoenixsomd said:

At Area 8 this year I was asked to provide an already loaded mag to the CRO running chrono to use. They only weighed one bullet and I got 7 rounds back in the bag we filled on the 1st stage.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Same here.  I submitted 5 at the start of the match but Chrono guy asked for a mag off my belt.  I was using Syntech and asked to declare it at the beginning of the match.  They didn't know what I was talking about and just said "oh that stuff will pass".   
They couldn't really do the "grab rounds out of a dropped mag" thing cuz I think I only had to reload 3 times the entire match.  :)

From reading this thread, it looks like every match has its own way of doing things. My state match apparently has a form we need to submit to the match director with any of the ammo on the authorized USPSA list to avoid any PF drama.

At the four Majors I shot last year (A1, WA state, and two section championships) all had you go directly to the chrono after shooting the stage adjacent to the chrono, and give them a mag off your belt. 

On 9/22/2020 at 11:46 AM, zzt said:

It is interesting that some matches allow you to present the rounds to be used at the chrono station.  That should not be allowed.  I have always been asked to present all the ammo I'll use and the guy collecting the ammo chooses randomly.  Sometimes they collect from the same box.  Other times across multiple boxes.

That would have been fun at Nats - when I used to attend.  Let me go to the truck - here's the six batches of 350 rounds each.  I know I was overthinking it; but I was prepared for the match staff to declare a different batch to be unsafe each day of the competition, and was prepared with additional batches.....

Just following up on this thread. Had a chat with the MD about how he wanted me to proceed, and the call was to submit 8 rounds from each bunch. They pulled three bullets and fired a total of 9 rounds (3 for each load). Everything passed, but I got to spend a fair bit of time at the chrono table that's for sure :).

Edited by random_guy7531

36 minutes ago, random_guy7531 said:

Just following up on this thread. Had a chat with the MD about how he wanted me to proceed, and the call was to submit 8 rounds from each bunch. They pulled three bullets and fired a total of 9 rounds (3 for each load). Everything passed, but I got to spend a fair bit of time at the chrono table that's for sure :).

Just curious: Did you wind up using all 3 lots?

On 9/28/2020 at 10:17 PM, ChuckS said:

Just curious: Did you wind up using all 3 lots?

I actually did. I only had a small handful of Syntech (it was effectively leftover from when I was shooting factory stuff pre-pandemic), and because the MD had me submit a chrono set from every loading, I elected to instead go through the Syntech first and leave my 'nats' load for last. I essentially just reversed the order I originally intended to use the batches.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 6:41 PM, random_guy7531 said:

Next time, read up on Appendix C2, give your 8 rounds and go on. It's no one else's business you're using mixed ammunition and if you're challenged by a match official about your ammo, that's well within their right. Volunteering that you're shooting 5 kinds of ammo is just a waste of time and resources.