Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 toolhead bolt effects handle

lroy

Got everything setup and ready to reload. I'm noticing some weirdness with the handle though. At the bottom of the stroke, there's some resistance. I can push through it to complete the stroke, but it only happens when I tighten the toolhead bolt. If I loosen the bolt while the toolhead is down, I can see the lever start to drop into the full lower position. If I loosen it enough so that there is no resistance, the toolheads hitches up when the sizing die is coming off the brass, and I can see it pop upwards. I can't seem to find a balance on keeping the bolt tight, but allowing the toolhead to move freely.

I'm assuming it's the bolt is pulling the main shaft too high? I must be doing something wrong, I wasn't able to find anyone else with this issue?

Edited by lroy

43 minutes ago, Don_B said:

Sounds like you need to adjust your sizing die. Run the tool head all the way down then adjust the die. 

Even with my sizing die removed, the lever hits a sticking point when the toolhead bolt is tightened.

40 minutes ago, AHI said:

Are you tightening the bolt with the tool head all the way down?

Have you ever tightened it with the tool head up?

When I tighten it at the top, the lever hits resistance about halfway down.

If I tighten at the bottom, when I release the strike the bolt pops up about half an inch.

Feels almost like I need a thinner bolt head? It's strange that I can loosen  the bolt at the bottom and watch the lever drop.

Edited by lroy

35 minutes ago, s2000red said:

You might have to adjust the alignment pins in the toolhead.  I had to do that on one of mine. 

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/223818-my-2nd-super-1050-head-alignment-pins-saga/

hm, Im not sure it's an alignment issue. I've taken this thing apart 4 or 5 times now and it does the same without the primer slide.

You have bent the alignment pins at some point. They could have been that way new but if you tighten or loosen the tool head in the up position they can/ will bend.    That's the binding you are feeling.

Edited by AHI

31 minutes ago, AHI said:

You have bent the alignment pins at some point. They could have been that way new but if you tighten or loosen the tool head in the up position they can/ will bend.    That's the binding you are feeling.

Interesting. I thought I read you were supposed to tighten with the toolhead raised. I'll have to try adjusting the pins then.

When the binding happens depends on how much I tighten the bolt. Typically if I hand tighten, it's just an inch at the end. If I use a ratchet, it begins sooner and sooner the tighter it gets.

If I tighten the bolt enough to secure it down entirely, I can't really use the press.

Edited by lroy

1 hour ago, lroy said:

Even with my sizing die removed, the lever hits a sticking point when the toolhead bolt is tightened.

Have you tried removing all the dies and seeing how it behaves with an empty toolhead?

13 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

You havent added any of those aftermarket solutions to your shellplate have you? 

I think there can be issues with the bolt heads hitting the toolhead if you put a bearing kit in. 

There is a hit factor bearing plate and ball on it. Ive read that was an issue, so I removed them and put back the original parts and it still persists.

7 minutes ago, ddc said:

Have you tried removing all the dies and seeing how it behaves with an empty toolhead?

Just tried this. The lever still hits resistance depending on how tight the bolt is.

5 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

If you remove the primer system and there is still resistance only with the bolt tightened I reckon you have bent alignment pins too.

Yeah, seems like the alignment pins are the next suspect.

But it seems like that should be fairly obvious if there is interference with the pins.

When the alignment pins go through the shell plate does it move at all?

If you pulled the entire toolhead off then the ram would raise and lower cleanly, no interference?

7 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

If you remove the primer system and there is still resistance only with the bolt tightened I reckon you have bent alignment pins too.

If I loosen the toolhead bolt, there is no resistance though. 

13 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

The bolt needs to be tight.

Yeah. In just not sure why tightening it causes so much resistance on the lever.

The only way I can operate it, is if the bolt is loose.

Edited by lroy

Yeah, loosening the bolt is not a solution. That will just mess up your machine.

Something else you could try:

Pull the toolhead and remove the shell plate.

This will allow you to see the interaction of the pins and the frame much more clearly.

Re-install the toolhead.

There are three pins of interest:

1. The pin at the right rear which goes through the primer slide.

2. The pin at the left front.

3. The pin that activates the primer punch.

Operate the machine and examine the behavior of the machine as each of those pins enters the frame.

Edited by ddc

15 hours ago, ddc said:

Yeah, loosening the bolt is not a solution. That will just mess up your machine.

Something else you could try:

Pull the toolhead and remove the shell plate.

This will allow you to see the interaction of the pins and the frame much more clearly.

Re-install the toolhead.

There are three pins of interest:

1. The pin at the right rear which goes through the primer slide.

2. The pin at the left front.

3. The pin that activates the primer punch.

Operate the machine and examine the behavior of the machine as each of those pins enters the frame.

You were exactly right. The pins were shifting the other stations around. It was causing the other pins to push too far, namely the primer punch station causing the resistance on the lever.

Took a marker and a few taps to get things working smooth. Thanks for the advice.

3 hours ago, AHI said:

Remove the pin that activates the primer punch. see if problem goes away.

Yep. That's what was causing the lever issue.

pins.jpg