Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.357 bullets in stock, this place has them

ysrracer

On 9/22/2020 at 11:22 AM, ysrracer said:

I thought with FMJ we wanted .357, and plated we wanted .358?

Do I have that wrong?

.358 for lead/moly/poly coated, .357 for jacketed and all of the Plated I've had were sized .357.

• 3 weeks later...
.358 for lead/moly/poly coated, .357 for jacketed and all of the Plated I've had were sized .357.

There’s no one-size-fits-all rule for cast bullets. They need to be sized to fit your chamber throats.

Every Smith .357 I’ve ever owned had VERY tight .357 throats that a .358 bullet wouldn’t slip through without a lot of effort.

18 hours ago, FWSixgunner said:

There’s no one-size-fits-all rule for cast bullets. They need to be sized to fit your chamber throats.

Every Smith .357 I’ve ever owned had VERY tight .357 throats that a .358 bullet wouldn’t slip through without a lot of effort.

With Jacketed/Plated there are no choices.  With Lead, and to a degree Poly/Moly, you are getting into the weeds.  And I'll scratch that itch...

The reason to match the throats to bullet diameter is for accuracy, and even then it's not always the final point to consider.  Why it's always best to test for usable results, getting the exact fit for that last 1/4" at 50 yards may not be the best choice depending on velocity/PF/leading/availability/cost or even chamber fit (if speed loads are required).  

Velocity, pressures and even leading are also affected by this fit.  Yet there is a relatively wide range of fit that will work.

In mass produced Revolvers it is not uncommon to find multiple sized throats in one cylinder.

So with all of that being said, the accepted standard for and, the general availability of, cast/moly/poly bullets are .001" over the bore size/standard Jacketed size.  For the action sports it generally works out well.  For Bullseye, Bianchi or Masters type competitions it is definitely a point to consider as accuracy is at a premium in them.

Doug Koenig reportedly had a solid bench fixture for his barrels so he could work up loads to the absolutely tightest accuracy he required.  I'm sure it would be wise to at least utilize a solid Ransom Rest to search out the best load in a particular blue printed Revolver.

6 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Yeah, no. It's not the .001 of an inch that's keeping me from master class. 

Nah just finding enough moola to get enough bullets to practice enough to be great!  That's what I keep saying, I'm an eternal optimist If I just practice enough, and correctly, I too can be a Champion!  It's just how hard one wants, or can afford, to work!  Though some do seem to start with a lot more skills!

Edited by pskys2