Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Posts

Anyone ever shoot a stage without looking at it? I mean like at a private club, walk up and shoot a stage just to see how a person handles it? Would be interesting to shoot it blind and then plan it  and shoot to see what the difference in time would be. 

Edited by Farmer
Link to post
Share on other sites

Shooting it without looking at it at all would be horrible!... 😄

But Ben Stoeger has a few vids on youtube where he shoots a couple stages in training  where he is given very little walk through time as an excercise. 

That might be interesting to watch. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I shot a stage like this on the weekend.  The range has a defined path, which I have been on many times, and there is a reasonable distance from start to finish, maybe 35-40 metres or so, but you don’t need to think about how to get to the end of the stage, just run. I don’t think I could actually shoot the stage much faster but I did FTE a target I overlooked which cost a lot of points however that target was the only one I could not shoot on the move and would take some time to post up and shoot.  There was a lot more vision barriers than usual and there was an oh crap moment when I went past a vision barrier and there was more targets in that area than I was used to and I had to squeeze a mag change in unexpectedly between arrays.   If I get a chance I will shoot it again on the weekend and see how I go the second time around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Surprise" stages used to be a thing at USPSA & IPSC matches last century, although they were never common.

 

They were fun, but difficult to run well and the nature of competition meant that word leaked out and pretty soon shooting later was a big advantage, especially if you had a 'teammate' shoot it first and give you the dirt.

 

Swapping hidden targets around between shooters used to be a thing too, although there's an (in)famous example from the World Shoot in Bisley England that kind of put the kibosh on them..  There were three doors the shooters would open and the ROs would swap target arrays between them when nobody could see.  Problem is one array was just a no-shoot, so if you opened doors 1 and 2 and saw targets, you could completely skip door 3.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bigdeal929 said:

I would like to take part in a match like that, everyone goes into a stage  with zero walk-through time.

That only holds true unless the squad doesn’t have to reset. Otherwise the first shooter goes blind then everybody gets to see it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sarge said:

That only holds true unless the squad doesn’t have to reset. Otherwise the first shooter goes blind then everybody gets to see it.

Good point.  My desire to do this it make it more like a real life scenario.  No walk-throughs in real life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bigdeal929 said:

Good point.  My desire to do this it make it more like a real life scenario.  No walk-throughs in real life.

We tried it a time or two locally. Very hard to keep it blind for all. Fun though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2020 at 10:59 PM, my00wrx1 said:

I shot a stage like this on the weekend.  The range has a defined path, which I have been on many times, and there is a reasonable distance from start to finish, maybe 35-40 metres or so, but you don’t need to think about how to get to the end of the stage, just run. I don’t think I could actually shoot the stage much faster but I did FTE a target I overlooked which cost a lot of points however that target was the only one I could not shoot on the move and would take some time to post up and shoot.  There was a lot more vision barriers than usual and there was an oh crap moment when I went past a vision barrier and there was more targets in that area than I was used to and I had to squeeze a mag change in unexpectedly between arrays.   If I get a chance I will shoot it again on the weekend and see how I go the second time around. 

This was just a small club match, 15 competitors.  The guys that set up the stage ran it and the shooter then helped to reset the stage ready for the next person.  One of the guys had attended a major match many years ago with a similar stage

 

It was a novelty, we had fun and did it in good faith, I don’t believe anyone gave away any details.  There was also some additional plates and poppers in a different colour (no additional points or penalties) and a few people shot them too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A major IDPA match was sorta like this. Kept the range as secret as the could, about 10 minute walk through of 5 stages,, then lights out and total darkness. stages shot in dark with hand held lights,,, then lights on and you shot stages in the light..
It was entertaining, but no way a fair competition. Stages were used for club matches.. people that built the stages shot the match,, yadda yadda.

secret stages are NEVER secret for everyone. do it for fun, but take the scores with a grain of salt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2020 at 2:02 AM, my00wrx1 said:

This was just a small club match, 15 competitors.  The guys that set up the stage ran it and the shooter then helped to reset the stage ready for the next person.  One of the guys had attended a major match many years ago with a similar stage

 

It was a novelty, we had fun and did it in good faith, I don’t believe anyone gave away any details.  There was also some additional plates and poppers in a different colour (no additional points or penalties) and a few people shot them too.

^^This is sort of what I was getting at when I first posted the question. More of a fun run. Didn’t think of others giving away the details or cheaters though. If everyone was individual and you were playing for a prize that might help. Ones that already shot it could help re-set. Maybe have to pay to shoot it to donate to the prize, a ham, turkey, box of primers, powder ect. Points would only count towards the prize or just winning for that stage. Just a thought. 

Edited by Farmer
Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's not a regular USPSA match. . .go for it. I bet the results would be a hoot!

If it's not a regular USPSA match, you might not have as many high intensity individuals who only want to win.

 

If it is a regular USPSA match, prepare to have the guts gamed out of it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 7:48 PM, Farmer said:

Anyone ever shoot a stage without looking at it? I mean like at a private club, walk up and shoot a stage just to see how a person handles it? Would be interesting to shoot it blind and then plan it  and shoot to see what the difference in time would be. 

I like this idea in theory. 
But in the moment I would be like, "well that sucked" haha 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2020 at 10:15 PM, Sarge said:

That only holds true unless the squad doesn’t have to reset. Otherwise the first shooter goes blind then everybody gets to see it.

 

Maybe a stage that's all steel (plates on sticks like in steel challenge).  No falling steel to reset, paint only no shoots and hard cover. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...