Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig 1911 external Extrator

rustychev

Im shooting Sig Max 1911s for single stack.  The oem extractor started to fail at around 10k and was very rounded and worn down.  I found the  EGW was the only after market replacement part and it was also reported as better than Sigs.  So I ordered 7 extractors and pin and spring sets. (I have 2 9mms and 2 45s pulse a few spares)  Now less than 3K rounds later Iv broken 3 of them.  EGW replaced the one I have sent back no questions.  The hook broke on all three.  Do you need to fit a external extractor?  I thought it was plug and play.  I can tell the hook is bottoming out on the grove and not the rim of the case so the hook is overly long.   Im going to call EGW Monday and try and find out if Im doing it wrong or if they had a bad run.

I still have two here are some pics the out side two are the broken ones and the middle is a new one.  Thoughts?

ex top - Edited.jpg

ex side - Edited.jpg

Something is off.  My Sig 1911 45 Tacops has 45,000 rounds through it and the external extractor looks new.

FWIW, EGW parts generally require fitting.  For 45 extractors I file down the hook so it does not touch the groove and the rim of the case is touching the tensioning wall.  A lot of gunsmiths adjust 9mm extractors so the tip of the claw does touch the groove and the rim does not touch the tensioning wall.  I don't.  I fit them the same way as 45 and have no problems.

I will call EGW tomarow and see what they say before I do anything.

Rolex -  Over all Im happy with the Max but I will say this from a keep an eye on stand point.  I have shot both front sights on my 9mm lose I have now penned over the dove tail to lock them in place.  I have also found that the stock slide stop tends to ride over the mag follower if follower gets to dirty.

51 minutes ago, rustychev said:

Talked to EGW and I am not the only one.  Some problem with the steel.  Said send them back for a full refund.  They also said hopping to have new ones in a few months.

I looked for them on EGW page and did not find any?? 

1 hour ago, rustychev said:

Rep I talked to said they pulled them as they are backed up and no solid ETA on new ones hope is for 3 months or so.

WOW- how about aftermarket parts for the Sig IF you cant get one from Sig?

7 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I was gonna say, why not keep using the OEM, if they last 10k rounds.

I dont want to have to replace the one in my practice backup gun more than once a year.  A external extractor should last a long time.  Iv got glocks that have 40K plus from when I was shooting prod on the extractor that came with the gun.  Have two that went about 10K each before needing replacement is just a crap part as for as I can tell.  Not sure if its just to soft of metal or what but they get worn down fast.

Edited by rustychev

I agree, but alot of folks seem to have their sigs last forever. I am thinking your issue isnt the extractor itself but some kinda fit, timing or ammo issue. Have you talked to Sig ?  Any burrs or shiny spots on the barrel where it may need to be dressed ?

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

I agree, but alot of folks seem to have their sigs last forever. I am thinking your issue isnt the extractor itself but some kinda fit, timing or ammo issue. Have you talked to Sig ?  Any burrs or shiny spots on the barrel where it may need to be dressed ?

To talk to sig they would have to pick up the phone when I call or return an email sometime.

As far as fitment everything looks great no peening or burs or shiny spots at all.