Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IFG Stock Master Review

rpm8300

Hey friends - I recently got an IFG Stock Master from BSPS and had it milled by J&L Gunsmithing (Jim Jones).  Jim is phenominal - best gunsmith I have ever worked with.  He did the cuts and put the 2 support pegs that fit in the base of the RTS2.

-I bought it off BSPS and called to make sure they had it in stock - no issues getting it and I think Patriot Defense also has them in stock.

-I got the small frame which takes CZ75 mags - I put old CZ75 grips on which don't fit perfectly and require minor modification.  Overall worth it to reuse my grit carbide grips.

-Overall the fit and finish is the same as EAA Tanfos - this is basically and importaed Tanfo that comes with slide cuts, Stock 3 length but Stock 2 cone barrel lockup.

-Mine shoots about 15-20fps faster than my Stock 2 - same accuracy which is to say very good - 1" at 20yds with good loads (147 plated RN and N320)

-NOTE the differences in parts between Small and Large frame - Firing Pin was one thing I had to buy to have a spare

-This one seemed a little more particular about feeding FP bullets than my OEM Stock 2 - tune the mag lips and body and you should be fine.  No issues at all with 135 Blue FP and all RN bullets - stoked mag + 1 in chamber no issues.

-It is similiar but just different in the S2 to feel the differences running drills and matches - small frame definitely feels different.  It is heavier and has more weight up front which I like.  The only thing I can think of that would compare on paper is the CZC LD-01 Optic Ready.  I haven't run that yet but I think it would be similar to this.

-I emailed IFG in Texas and bought a 2nd slide for irons, they were easy enough to work with but it took a couple months for the slide to come in.

BLATE - If you have a S2, unless you really want a small frame, it's probably not worth buying a whole new pistol.  If you dont have a Tanfo and want one, I would buy this instead of the standard Tanfos.  

Post your questions - I'll try to put one video of me shooting it.  Thanks,

Tom

Stock Master.JPG

14 hours ago, pivoproseem said:

Shame about the goofy slide cuts and back serrations the more recent Tanfos have gone to. It's disappointing to me as a fan of Italian design.  Looks like a great CO tool, otherwise.

Yes, but thats all cosmetic.

A chrome stock III would be nice, which these almost look like.

In theory I like the conical bull barrel but I have owned several Stock IIs and Limiteds now and for whatever reason Tanfoglio just can't seem to consistently fit these barrels as well as the Stock III type.

I'm also not a fan of these newer slide cuts.

49 minutes ago, FALAR said:

A chrome stock III would be nice, which these almost look like.

In theory I like the conical bull barrel but I have owned several Stock IIs and Limiteds now and for whatever reason Tanfoglio just can't seem to consistently fit these barrels as well as the Stock III type.

I'm also not a fan of these newer slide cuts.

Thats true but I'll say this is as accurate or more than the S2 and S3 I've owned.  The rifling is a little more forgiving for length but if you run moly or Blue Bullets, you'll want it reamed.  

9 hours ago, Polymer said:

What recoil spring weight are you using?

Hey partner, for my 147 loads at 132 PF I use an 8lbs but you can go up to a 9lbs or a 10lbs - totally preference.  I find that with a red dot, the heavier spring gives a faster overall dot reset time, but the dot moves more in your view and the dot movement itself is a little more unpredictable.  With an 8lbs, the movement is very linear and predictable although it is a little slower overall.  Splitting hairs but up to you - I wouldn't go below 8.

1 hour ago, rpm8300 said:

Hey partner, for my 147 loads at 132 PF I use an 8lbs but you can go up to a 9lbs or a 10lbs - totally preference.  I find that with a red dot, the heavier spring gives a faster overall dot reset time, but the dot moves more in your view and the dot movement itself is a little more unpredictable.  With an 8lbs, the movement is very linear and predictable although it is a little slower overall.  Splitting hairs but up to you - I wouldn't go below 8.

Are you running a shock buff? Curious about this as it might relate to dot longevity. How many rounds do you currently have on that optic?

5 hours ago, AZ123456 said:

Are you running a shock buff? Curious about this as it might relate to dot longevity. How many rounds do you currently have on that optic?

Yes, I run a rubber buffer and it helps - I've run DPP, Sig R1 and R1PRO, RTS2, all on EAA variants with CO - after all those, I strongly recommend the SRO for any CO gun.  J&L Gunsmithing (Jim Jones) is your best bet.  He has done all my milling and can do a great job with SROs.

15 hours ago, rpm8300 said:

Yes, I run a rubber buffer and it helps - I've run DPP, Sig R1 and R1PRO, RTS2, all on EAA variants with CO - after all those, I strongly recommend the SRO for any CO gun.  J&L Gunsmithing (Jim Jones) is your best bet.  He has done all my milling and can do a great job with SROs.

I appreciate the info. I've managed to kill pretty much every major optic out there in the last year or so. The SRO seemed to be one of the more durable options but so far I'm having better luck with the Romeo 3 max (although they've been replaced under warranty too). I take it you're sticking with the RTS2 on the stock master since it's milled for it. I currently shoot an X5 Legion in CO but recently picked up a stock master with a dovetail optic mount to experiment with before taking the plunge of having it milled and changing platforms. So far I really like the gun(after a few trigger improvements thanks to memphis mechanic's posts).

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 5:48 AM, pivoproseem said:

Shame about the goofy slide cuts and back serrations the more recent Tanfos have gone to. It's disappointing to me as a fan of Italian design.  Looks like a great CO tool, otherwise.

I like them... Way less boring looking than the old straight ones. Stilista! 

• 4 months later...

Follow Up review - if you are on the Interwebs you can see me shooting this gun on Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/thomas_koh_usar_cmp/?hl=en

I had some issues with CZ 75 mags - the Tanfo small frame mags that came with the gun are marginally different.  Additionally, the Tanfo small frame mags by MECGAR are also different.

CZ75 basepads will work on the Tanfo small frame mags by MECGAR but NOT the 2 mags that came with the gun - take note.

Also, run fresh springs or suffer from nose dive issues.

Lastly, put an XP extractor spring in and call it a day.