Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First shadow 2, what spares do I need?

nxfedlt1

I keep a spare trigger return spring and slide stop in my small parts kit, but have never needed them. Those are the only parts I've ordered specifically as spares.

The only non-ammo malfunction I've encountered was the trigger not moving forward far enough to set the DA disconnector during load and make ready. At the time it hadn't been cleaned in 3000+ rounds and some grime had worked its way down between the frame and trigger, blocking its forward motion. A quick scrub with a toothbrush has prevented it from occurring again.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Just wear and tear items. The SP01 you needed a trigger return spring and a slide stop. I don't feel that way in 3 years of shooting a shadow 2.

Rowdyb, have you had any issues with extractors?  I thought I have seen those need a regular maintenance periodicity, and have been known to fail if not changed out regularly?

43 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Rowdyb, have you had any issues with extractors?  I thought I have seen those need a regular maintenance periodicity, and have been known to fail if not changed out regularly?

I have not broken an extractor in a Shadow 2. I have in other CZ guns. I do not run an extra power extractor spring. I do remove mine every 1,000 ish rounds shot and clean everything. I have now owned 7 shadow 2's. On Shadow 2's I have broken 2 front sights and the gun I originally milled for CO weight limit eventually broke its slide. That's it.

1 minute ago, rowdyb said:

I have not broken an extractor in a Shadow 2. I have in other CZ guns. I do not run an extra power extractor spring. I do remove mine every 1,000 ish rounds shot and clean everything. I have now owned 7 shadow 2's. On Shadow 2's I have broken 2 front sights and the gun I originally milled for CO weight limit eventually broke its slide. That's it.

Cool Thanks.

Just now, Boomstick303 said:

Cool Thanks.

Extractor issues for me in the Shadow 2 are almost always fixed with first a removal and thorough cleaning. Then checking the condition of my recoil spring and buffer generally.

Rowdy,

Slightly off topic here, sorry. I see that CZ Custom's site still offers lightening of the Shadow 2 slide along with the optics cut.  Would you lighten the slide or just do the optics cut?

Thanks

Edited by BadShot

I'd honestly just say a recoil spring for when you wear yours out. I went a ridiculous number of rounds with only generally spraying junk out and picking out the chunks.

I went with a 2nd Shadow 2 as my backup parts kit. But I can understand tossing $30 in parts in a kit to get that same peace of mind at a match. 

On 9/16/2020 at 10:22 AM, BadShot said:

Rowdy,

Slightly off topic here, sorry. I see that CZ Custom's site still offers lightening of the Shadow 2 slide along with the optics cut.  Would you lighten the slide or just do the optics cut?

Thanks

With the new rules just the optic cut

When I had one S2, I kept a spare slide stop and fiber optic / optic battery in my bag, as these replacements are easy in the field. Never had a spring failure during a match.
Now I just bring two guns to a match.

On 9/18/2020 at 12:06 PM, slowhands said:

OEM front sights? I've broken Dawson front sights on my SP-01s, but the S2 front sight looked a little more robust. Maybe I should pick up a spare.

I have had one stock front sight batter itself to the point it was barely held into the dovetail. I replaced it with a Dawson that broke right at the set screw, which are no longer there. It was replaced with another stock front sight.

Sadly one of my rear sights now is starting to rust pretty badly as well.

4 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Oh, maybe the FS comes loose, that's what might need repair.

We had that happen to one of the shooters at our local match. The front sight came off during a stage and we couldn’t find it. He ended up borrowing my shadow 2 so he can finish the match.

best practice of 2 guns, then you don't need to worry about it, if not, spare slide stop and trigger return spring. I'd HATE installing a TRS during a match / at the range.  I personally thing its a huge pain to do in general, let alone outside, not at home, etc.  

For non range spares in general - slide stops, recoil springs, perhaps an extractor if you like but never broke one, firing pin/spring, front sight pins (those dang things always get loose), and now that I just shot my barrel bushing out, I guess ill add that to my list....  at some point you will wear out your mag catch.  these types of things like firing pins, mag catches aren't gonna wear out until 15-20-25 thousand or MORE.  I'd say these recommendations are for VERY high round count users.  

Honestly, for most normal shooters, most parts are on a CZ are good for life....except the slide stop, recoil spring, and trigger return spring. 

im probably going overboard.  but at one time I had 4 CZs across 3 different divisions, so, Im kinda married to the platform.  home armorers setup at this point LOL.