Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA powder funnel on the RL1100

7 hours ago, HesedTech said:

............................I find the DA funnel a very good alternative for 9, 40 and 45 loading over the stock Dillon on my 1050.

Since I discovered the MBF funnel, 6 years ago, that's all I've ever used for 9 and 45.  Carrying over from my XL650 days to the current RL1100.  

I fully understand the purpose behind that "Patented" design............

;)

17 hours ago, HesedTech said:

???

It all depends on how the press is set up and what bullets are being used. 

Personally I use an expander die and the DA powder funnel on my 1050 for coated .356 bullets. The expander die allows a more accurate and straight seating of the bullet and the DA funnel set the bell and case mouth for the bullet to properly sit and not tilt or fall out as it rotates to the seating die. 

Basically explain your blanket statement, I find the DA funnel a very good alternative for 9, 40 and 45 loading over the stock Dillon on my 1050.

What he's saying, most of us have found that with the 1050 (and assumingly the 1100), with a correctly setup backer/expander die and swage rod setup in station 3, the standard Dillon funnel works fine for typical MBF use, the DA version funnel is not needed.  So 1050/1100 users can use the Dillon funnel and not have the sticking/popping issues that the DA dropper adds to the mix, esp with new or wet tumbled brass.  The most benefit comes from using it on the 550/650/750 presses.  Double Alpha themselves provided this information.  Now, sure there may be certain situations where still using the DA funnel might work better - but for most typical loading scenarios on the 1050/1100, the stock setup works fine, as long as station 3 is correctly adjusted.  Personally, I load 9/38/10/45 pistol calibers on my 1050 (coated mostly) and don't use the DA funnel for any of them.

You won't hurt anything by using a DA funnel, but you really don't need it in most cases on a 1050/1100.

5 hours ago, 78Staff said:

What he's saying, most of us have found that with the 1050 (and assumingly the 1100), with a correctly setup backer/expander die and swage rod setup in station 3, the standard Dillon funnel works fine for typical MBF use, the DA version funnel is not needed.  So 1050/1100 users can use the Dillon funnel and not have the sticking/popping issues that the DA dropper adds to the mix, esp with new or wet tumbled brass.  The most benefit comes from using it on the 550/650/750 presses.  Double Alpha themselves provided this information.  Now, sure there may be certain situations where still using the DA funnel might work better - but for most typical loading scenarios on the 1050/1100, the stock setup works fine, as long as station 3 is correctly adjusted.  Personally, I load 9/38/10/45 pistol calibers on my 1050 (coated mostly) and don't use the DA funnel for any of them.

You won't hurt anything by using a DA funnel, but you really don't need it in most cases on a 1050/1100.

I'm wondering if a "typical" user needs more/deeper expansion, how is this adjusted/setup with the Dillon backer/expander if it's adjusted for swage backup which is its primary function?  The Dillon back-up rod is a fixed length... and the only way to get any deeper expansion would be to grind off a few thousandths and then re-harden the end of the rod.  And on the other hand, if the stock swage backup/expander is expanding too much, do you raise the die which defeats the swage backup feature?

If one is not needing the swage feature, then removing the Dillon die and using a die such as the Redding or Lyman M die has the advantage of adjustable expansion.

650/750 press users do receive the benefit of excellent expansion with the MBF funnel design as there's not a spare station to use a seperate adjustable expander; and they don't experience the excessive "sticking/popping" since the shell plate of that series is much smaller than the 1050/1100 which, due to being much larger in size, suffers from greater leverage/flexing of the edge of the shell plate when the case is removed from the powder funnel.

Guess I'm one of the non-typical users that tried using the non-adjustable expansion of the #3 die, and the stock powder funnel; and experienced less than desirable results with my loaded ammo.  I enjoy quality before quantity!

🤔

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

3 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Guess I'm one of the non-typical users that tried using the non-adjustable expansion of the #3 die, and the stock powder funnel; and experienced less than desirable results with my loaded ammo.  I enjoy quality before quantity!

🤔

One of the things that bugs me about the Dillon swage die is that it does two functions and they are inter-dependent.

If you adjust the swage backing depth you affect the expander function and then if you want to tweak your expanding you alter your swage backing depth.

I know most people are fine with that but for whatever reason I'd really like a design where the two functions could be adjusted separately.

18 minutes ago, ddc said:

One of the things that bugs me about the Dillon swage die is that it does two functions and they are inter-dependent.

If you adjust the swage backing depth you affect the expander function and then if you want to tweak your expanding you alter your swage backing depth.

I know most people are fine with that but for whatever reason I'd really like a design where the two functions could be adjusted separately.

Exactly why I use the DAA type powder funnel in my Station #5.  And since it's been modified slightly, the stick/popping is a non issue.

👍

As has been stated the 1050 uses an expander at the swaging station, the powder die does the belling. The MBF expander is redundant on a 1050...however if you want to use it you can...I don't on any of my 1050's but always use it on my 650's. The ammo they all turn out is more than acceptable for my use. An inch or so at either 35 or 50 yards out of one of my Bianchi guns is the norm.

Edited by Service Desk
Tried to add an image

16 minutes ago, Service Desk said:

The 1050 uses an expander at the swaging station, the powder die does the belling. The MBF expander is redundant on a 1050...however if you want to use it you can...I don't on any of my 1050's but always use it on my 650's.

I disagree, obviously.

In my experience the swage station expander does not expand 9, 40, or 45 brass enough when loading coated and over sized bullets to hold them firmly enough to move reliably to the seating station. The DA MBF funnels does wonders to prevent bullet tipping and straight seating no matter what type, jacketed, plated or coated, of bullet being loaded.

However, I do agree with you when I’m loading jacketed bullets at std sizes the DA funnel, while it helps, is not really needed. 

To prevent the “pop” highly polish the funnel with a buffing wheel and make it shine. I also found polishing the primer shuttle/slide and the case feeding plunger also does wonders for press smoothness and reliability.

One more thing to polish, the swage backer/expander. 

Edited by HesedTech

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the heads up, with an aftermarket tool head I had to grind down the bottom top portion of the primer tube where the 2 screws secure the primer tube to the press.  I had trouble with the toolhead not clearing it but it was resolved with a dremel and polishing.  The Lee flare die barely clears the primer lever arm mounting bracket.  Once the die arrives I will experiment with it and see what if any issues I encounter.  Thanks! 

Hey Bud did you receive the Redding Expander? Did it fit over primer station and clear primer bracket? Please keep us updated. I just got a CNC Toolhead and I am looking to buy something either this one or Lyman M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/3/2020 at 6:47 AM, SpartanArmament said:

Hey Bud did you receive the Redding Expander? Did it fit over primer station and clear primer bracket? Please keep us updated. I just got a CNC Toolhead and I am looking to buy something either this one or Lyman M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just I actually received it but I have not used it since I modified the Lee expander die and replace the internall with the DAA expander and it has been working well thus far.  So I haven't gotten an opportunity to truly test the Redding die "yet" there's a youtube video about the Redding, Lyman expander dies.  I do believe the Redding was improved upon.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcc91NArteQ

10 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Just I actually received it but I have not used it since I modified the Lee expander die and replace the internall with the DAA expander and it has been working well thus far.  So I haven't gotten an opportunity to truly test the Redding die "yet" there's a youtube video about the Redding, Lyman expander dies.  I do believe the Redding was improved upon.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcc91NArteQ

Hey Robert!

Wondering if your planning on using the Redding Premium Expander on your RL1100, and if so, what station?  Thought you might be using it at Station #4 with your CNC toolhead...........

Looking forward to your user report; and would like to see some closeups of your CNC toolhead and how it clears the Primer System; especially the Lever Arm Bracket and the base of the Primer Feedbody Assembly.............

Thank you Sir!  

;)

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp