Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA powder funnel on the RL1100

The powder funnel while being an upgrade to the stock Dillon powder funnel, it tends to stick a LOT.  My brass is super clean, and I was told that my brass was way too clean and that is why it was sticking but I don't know how much of an accurate statement that is.  

I tried the Shooters Innovations powder funnel but I didn't work well for my needs and the funnel does not allow the Dillon powder dropper to sit on the funnel right since it doesn't have  step built into it in order to accomodate the internal Dillon powder tube.  Found the funnel to jam into the Dillon powder drop internal metal tube causing it to jam itselt, doing a quick disconnect of the Dillon powder dropper the funnel from Shooters Innovations remained attached to the Dillon dropper and force needed to be used to remove..  Didn't  like it!  

Anyway, any mods, suggestions etc for the DAA funnel?  I am thinking about polishing it throughly and re-checking~  Thanks~ 

You didn't mention what caliber you are reloading.  Since you mentioned the SSI powder funnel I am assuming you are loading pistol.  When reloading 9 mm I have installed the Redding Competition Expander Die in Station number 3 above the swager for the 1050 and 1100.  Pre-expansion seems to help prevent the powder funnel from sticking.   I am using the Double Alpha Power Funnel that came with the MBF that I ordered with my 1050.  Once I installed the Redding Expander Die, I did raise the powder funnel a smidge to where it wold still load powder but essentially not go completely into the brass casing.  I am also using the home made Dillon lube using a 1/8 ration of Lanolin/90% alcohol mixture.  The powder funnel never sticks.   The press runs super smooth. 

https://www.amazon.com/Redding-Premium-Expander-Die-Luger/dp/B07B6SZ771/ref=pd_sim_nf_200_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07B6SZ771&pd_rd_r=9a49091c-d2f1-4acb-9bb7-5b3e437895cf&pd_rd_w=U1Joi&pd_rd_wg=3cC54&pf_rd_p=10308ef8-ff5b-4c31-97a7-90e892c6cc39&pf_rd_r=KJ1MAG76ZQAKFNBX29B5&psc=1&refRID=KJ1MAG76ZQAKFNBX29B5

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

You didn't mention what caliber you are reloading.  Since you mentioned the SSI powder funnel I am assuming you are loading pistol.  When reloading 9 mm I have installed the Redding Competition Expander Die in Station number 3 above the swager for the 1050 and 1100.  Pre-expansion seems to help prevent the powder funnel from sticking.   I am using the Double Alpha Power Funnel that came with the MBF that I ordered with my 1050.  Once I installed the Redding Expander Die, I did raise the powder funnel a smidge to where it wold still load powder but essentially not go completely into the brass casing.  I am also using the home made Dillon lube using a 1/8 ration of Lanolin/90% alcohol mixture.  The powder funnel never sticks.   The press runs super smooth. 

https://www.amazon.com/Redding-Premium-Expander-Die-Luger/dp/B07B6SZ771/ref=pd_sim_nf_200_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07B6SZ771&pd_rd_r=9a49091c-d2f1-4acb-9bb7-5b3e437895cf&pd_rd_w=U1Joi&pd_rd_wg=3cC54&pf_rd_p=10308ef8-ff5b-4c31-97a7-90e892c6cc39&pf_rd_r=KJ1MAG76ZQAKFNBX29B5&psc=1&refRID=KJ1MAG76ZQAKFNBX29B5

I'm actually leaning towards your way of thinking since I am using an aftermarket tool head which allows me to have 1 more station.  The thought came to mind to separate the case expansion die/flare separately. Forgot to mention that I am loading 9mm ammo~  My bad!  

2 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

I'm actually leaning towards your way of thinking since I am using an aftermarket tool head which allows me to have 1 more station.  The thought came to mind to separate the case expansion die/flare separately. Forgot to mention that I am loading 9mm ammo~  My bad!  

The method mentioned above does not require and extra station but having more stations is always handy.  What tool head are you using?  

Edited by Boomstick303

The swage /hold down die is a expansion die. If adjusted correctly. The Mr bullet expander is an improvement.

Your brass is to clean.to fix this lube your cases. This has been discussed so many times that if you go down a few

Threads your going to find a nother discussion on the same subject.

Edited by AHI

7 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

The powder funnel while being an upgrade to the stock Dillon powder funnel, it tends to stick a LOT.  My brass is super clean, and I was told that my brass was way too clean and that is why it was sticking but I don't know how much of an accurate statement that is.  

I tried the Shooters Innovations powder funnel but I didn't work well for my needs and the funnel does not allow the Dillon powder dropper to sit on the funnel right since it doesn't have  step built into it in order to accomodate the internal Dillon powder tube.  Found the funnel to jam into the Dillon powder drop internal metal tube causing it to jam itselt, doing a quick disconnect of the Dillon powder dropper the funnel from Shooters Innovations remained attached to the Dillon dropper and force needed to be used to remove..  Didn't  like it!  

Anyway, any mods, suggestions etc for the DAA funnel?  I am thinking about polishing it throughly and re-checking~  Thanks~ 

chgo:

Thought you may had seen my remarks earlier............but working with Rick Koskela, it was determined that the "sticking" by the MBF powder funnel is caused by surface friction which is amplified with new or wet tumbled brass.  In my loading, the Zero 147 JHP and Coated lead are averaging .355-.3555", and .356-.3565" respectively.  The upper step on the MBF/PE type funnels has a standard diameter of .358".  IMO, it's just a bit larger than necessary with quality bullets.  Had a master machinist turn down one of my funnels to .357" and highly polish. 

To my total surprise, this has reduced my sticking by 99%!  Before a loading session, I do a light swipe to the expander with some One Shot; and also put a dab on the stock Dillon Expander/Backer in Station #3.  Lube the brass with One Shot prior to loading, and I have the smoothest loading experience I ever had!

BTW:  I also purchased a SI Alpha Dropper, and IMO it's just a coated version of the Dillon XL650 powder funnel.  For all the years I've used the MBF/PE style funnel, I've not found anything that can create that expanded "seat" for incoming bullets as the MBF funnel does.  That "patented" design just simply works!

The 3 funnels I've used..............and a close-up of the SI Alpha Dropper.

👍

Powder Funnel Dims.png

Alpha Stick.png

7 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Also, the funnel I modified was the one manufactured by Photo Express.  Also sold by Lee at Uniquetek.

https://uniquetek.com/product/T1582

This funnel is being manufactured to "original" MBF specifications!

;)💡

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

I think I have seen this mentioned other places also, but you are able to replace the hold down die with an expanded and achieve the same affect correct? The expander in station 3 doesn’t effect the way the swagger works in any way? And vice versa the swagger doesn’t affect the expander? Figure it might be tricky with the brass being pushed up into the die by the swagger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I think I have seen this mentioned other places also, but you are able to replace the hold down die with an expanded and achieve the same affect correct? The expander in station 3 doesn’t effect the way the swagger works in any way? And vice versa the swagger doesn’t affect the expander? Figure it might be tricky with the brass being pushed up into the die by the swagger

Actually the shell plates holds the casing in place for swaging some even use a sizing die instead of a hold down die on the swage station as well.  User preference I guess~ Personally I use a Lee U die in Station 3 (swage station) and not a hold down die~ 

4 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Also, the funnel I modified was the one manufactured by Photo Express.  Also sold by Lee at Uniquetek.

https://uniquetek.com/product/T1582

This funnel is being manufactured to "original" MBF specifications!

;)💡

Thanks, I actually have that funnel 🤫 still sticks~  I will be separating the bell/flare to eliminate the issue...

On 9/15/2020 at 9:35 PM, HOGRIDER said:

chgo:

Thought you may had seen my remarks earlier............but working with Rick Koskela, it was determined that the "sticking" by the MBF powder funnel is caused by surface friction which is amplified with new or wet tumbled brass.  In my loading, the Zero 147 JHP and Coated lead are averaging .355-.3555", and .356-.3565" respectively.  The upper step on the MBF/PE type funnels has a standard diameter of .358".  IMO, it's just a bit larger than necessary with quality bullets.  Had a master machinist turn down one of my funnels to .357" and highly polish. 

To my total surprise, this has reduced my sticking by 99%!  Before a loading session, I do a light swipe to the expander with some One Shot; and also put a dab on the stock Dillon Expander/Backer in Station #3.  Lube the brass with One Shot prior to loading, and I have the smoothest loading experience I ever had!

BTW:  I also purchased a SI Alpha Dropper, and IMO it's just a coated version of the Dillon XL650 powder funnel.  For all the years I've used the MBF/PE style funnel, I've not found anything that can create that expanded "seat" for incoming bullets as the MBF funnel does.  That "patented" design just simply works!

The 3 funnels I've used..............and a close-up of the SI Alpha Dropper.

👍

Powder Funnel Dims.png

Alpha Stick.png

Thanks Hogrider~ I was able to resolve the issue in regards to sticking and the press acting weird so I opted to separate the case flaring to station 4, which is the primer station, one station prior to the powder drop.  Since I have 2 DAA powder funnels, plus a Dillon, etc I found an die that I wasn't using which was a Lee Flare die, I removed the internals of the Lee die and replaced the internals with the DAA funnel, installed in on station 4, dialed it in and on station 5 which is the powder drop station I am using the DAA powder dropper as a powder actuator.  I had to dial the die in just right since I didn't want it to bell/flare the case but exclusively actuate the powder dropper.  Once I got all that done now the press is running super smooth~  The stock Dillon tool head does not allow you one more station such as an aftermarket toolhead does, like the On Point MFG tool head.  Not sure why Dillon doesn't just add one more station on top of the primer location, the Dillon toolhead has basically an empty hole which that hole can be used as an additional station.  Instead of combining powder drop/flare/bell etc all in one station its "BEST" to separate the workout.  Now there's no sticking, no clunking, no weird sounds.  The Dillon RL 1100 is running as it should run, smoooooooth!  But of course, I had to figure things out, do a lil DIY MOD and she's perfect now.  I did order a Redding M Die to be used on station 4.  The Lee Flare die is only a temporary fixed :) 

14 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

Thanks Hogrider~ I was able to resolve the issue in regards to sticking and the press acting weird so I opted to separate the case flaring to station 4, which is the primer station, one station prior to the powder drop.  Since I have 2 DAA powder funnels, plus a Dillon, etc I found an die that I wasn't using which was a Lee Flare die, I removed the internals of the Lee die and replaced the internals with the DAA funnel, installed in on station 4, dialed it in and on station 5 which is the powder drop station I am using the DAA powder dropper as a powder actuator.  I had to dial the die in just right since I didn't want it to bell/flare the case but exclusively actuate the powder dropper.  Once I got all that done now the press is running super smooth~  The stock Dillon tool head does not allow you one more station such as an aftermarket toolhead does, like the On Point MFG tool head.  Not sure why Dillon doesn't just add one more station on top of the primer location, the Dillon toolhead has basically an empty hole which that hole can be used as an additional station.  Instead of combining powder drop/flare/bell etc all in one station its "BEST" to separate the workout.  Now there's no sticking, no clunking, no weird sounds.  The Dillon RL 1100 is running as it should run, smoooooooth!  But of course, I had to figure things out, do a lil DIY MOD and she's perfect now.  I did order a Redding M Die to be used on station 4.  The Lee Flare die is only a temporary fixed :) 

Robert:

Glad to hear you got everything worked out to your satisfaction!  I agree, Dillon should go ahead and utilize the "hole" at Station 4 for more that just an empty opening.  I decided to use the Everglades Primer Hold Down Die at Station 4 to at least provide a good stabilizer for seating primers exactly where I like them.  ;)

Guess I'm still uncertain due to my inexperience with the press, but I feel a backer rod similar to what Dillon uses at Station #3 is necessary to complete a correct primer pocket swage.  I've just experienced that the stock Dillon shell plate will flex a bit at various stations!  Of course, if there was a sizing die with the face screwed down against the shell plate, I guess that would stabilize the brass enough to allow a complete swage; but I still like knowing that solid backer rod is there just in case a nasty crimped case slips by.......

I do think the Redding M Die is a much better alternative for expanding the brass than the stock expander/swage backer at station #3.  And, IMO, adjustability is the big factor for the M die!

Look forward to hearing about your M Die setup once you get it in production.

👍:)

3 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

... I did order a Redding M Die to be used on station 4 ...

chgofirefighter, 

Just an FYI...

In station 4 (CNC toolhead, station 4 threaded) I've tried:

1. A Lee Universal expander die with the guts replaced with the MBF funnel

2. Lyman M die

The Lee die fits without any issues.

The Lyman M die has a clearance issue with the primer lever arm mounting bracket.

It's usable but requires some grinding on the bracket.

I've not tried the Redding equivalent but there might be a similar issue.

PS: This is on an 1100.

5 hours ago, ddc said:

chgofirefighter, 

Just an FYI...

In station 4 (CNC toolhead, station 4 threaded) I've tried:

1. A Lee Universal expander die with the guts replaced with the MBF funnel

2. Lyman M die

The Lee die fits without any issues.

The Lyman M die has a clearance issue with the primer lever arm mounting bracket.

It's usable but requires some grinding on the bracket.

I've not tried the Redding equivalent but there might be a similar issue.

PS: This is on an 1100.

Thanks for the heads up, with an aftermarket tool head I had to grind down the bottom top portion of the primer tube where the 2 screws secure the primer tube to the press.  I had trouble with the toolhead not clearing it but it was resolved with a dremel and polishing.  The Lee flare die barely clears the primer lever arm mounting bracket.  Once the die arrives I will experiment with it and see what if any issues I encounter.  Thanks! 

8 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Robert:

Glad to hear you got everything worked out to your satisfaction!  I agree, Dillon should go ahead and utilize the "hole" at Station 4 for more that just an empty opening.  I decided to use the Everglades Primer Hold Down Die at Station 4 to at least provide a good stabilizer for seating primers exactly where I like them.  ;)

Guess I'm still uncertain due to my inexperience with the press, but I feel a backer rod similar to what Dillon uses at Station #3 is necessary to complete a correct primer pocket swage.  I've just experienced that the stock Dillon shell plate will flex a bit at various stations!  Of course, if there was a sizing die with the face screwed down against the shell plate, I guess that would stabilize the brass enough to allow a complete swage; but I still like knowing that solid backer rod is there just in case a nasty crimped case slips by.......

I do think the Redding M Die is a much better alternative for expanding the brass than the stock expander/swage backer at station #3.  And, IMO, adjustability is the big factor for the M die!

Look forward to hearing about your M Die setup once you get it in production.

👍:)

Hmm, interesting setup... I used to use the Everglades on the exact location too when I had the 750, I prefer a sizing die instead it's just personal preference~  :) 

Has anyone tried the F&FB swage backup/expander in station 3 (1050/1100)? https://fastandfriendlybrass.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=85

I’ve been meaning to try it to help reduce my popping when expanding the case mouth. Looks like you’ll need a Dillon swage backup die body and lock nut that is used for the rifle calibers.

8 hours ago, rlapid216 said:

Has anyone tried the F&FB swage backup/expander in station 3 (1050/1100)? https://fastandfriendlybrass.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=85

I’ve been meaning to try it to help reduce my popping when expanding the case mouth. Looks like you’ll need a Dillon swage backup die body and lock nut that is used for the rifle calibers.

For those using mixed brass, their claim of: 

Will also dead lock the press when it comes across one of those pesky 9mm cases with the interior step

might be a selling point.  But can't see the expander portion doing anything more than the stock Dillon expander that's at Station 3:

Expander Size3.png

8 minutes ago, rlapid216 said:

thanks for your measurement pic, but you measured too high. The brass gets expanded at the step below your measurement point, which is smaller. Do you have that measurement?

My measurement above is the upper step including whatever coating is on the shaft.

Here's the bottom step that's too small for final expand:

Expander Size1.png

Then the expander portion for bullet seating:

Expander Size2.png

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

On 9/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, Service Desk said:

There is no need to use the DA powder funnel on a 1050 / 1100. It works great on the 550/650/750 presses and that is where it is needed.

???

It all depends on how the press is set up and what bullets are being used. 

Personally I use an expander die and the DA powder funnel on my 1050 for coated .356 bullets. The expander die allows a more accurate and straight seating of the bullet and the DA funnel set the bell and case mouth for the bullet to properly sit and not tilt or fall out as it rotates to the seating die. 

Basically explain your blanket statement, I find the DA funnel a very good alternative for 9, 40 and 45 loading over the stock Dillon on my 1050.

Edited by HesedTech