Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load development for Ruger PC Carbine / Charger

Siberian

In search for a good load for Ruger PC Charger in 9mm. Soft and flat, in that order.
I did a couple of tests with 115 gr plated HP bullets.

Initially I was thinking along the lines of slower powder with lots of gas to help the compensator (running a stock comp from a CZ Evo 3). With 5.7-5.9 gr of CFE Pistol and 6.7-7.0 gr HS-6, I am getting about 1300 and 1340 FPS out of the 6.5” barrel, respectively for lower and higher loads. Zeroed at 100 m, it is also spot on between 7-25 m. Felt recoil is slightly higher with HS-6. Going to shoot a Level 2 next weekend and see how it performs.

Ruger PC has a dead blow weight inside the bolt carrier, and I am wondering if a faster powder (TG or N320) might be an advantage with this bolt design.

Edited by Siberian

I’ve shot 115 gr coated with 3.6 grs of aa#2 and it was a nice load. If you have some fast powder I would try it with your 115 gr plated bullets I believe you will like it. This is out of a regular ruger pcc.

Edited by Dwbsig

Very interesting. I've got a PCC and some czs to load for. Are you running it in competition? If so you may be limited to the certian weights of bullets if you load for major.

I would think that you can either try to load hotter with slower powder to work the comp - like a 9mm open gun,

OR

Try a light PF load with 147s - but note that wont work the comp as much.

Normally I run my CZ 124 minor loads through the PCC, but I just worked up to open major with a comp so now I'm wondering what that would be like in the Ruger PCC.

1 hour ago, AcePrater said:

Very interesting. I've got a PCC and some czs to load for. Are you running it in competition? If so you may be limited to the certian weights of bullets if you load for major.

I would think that you can either try to load hotter with slower powder to work the comp - like a 9mm open gun,

OR

Try a light PF load with 147s - but note that wont work the comp as much.

Normally I run my CZ 124 minor loads through the PCC, but I just worked up to open major with a comp so now I'm wondering what that would be like in the Ruger PCC.

The difference in the effect on the comp is almost completely negligible. It is a completely different beast than open guns (like 3-4 times less pressure at the muzzle than in a pistol). I'm pretty sure Max even suggests to tune your load without the comp on the gun. The comp just lets you relax a tad more.

Edited by Wesquire

Well, the Charger has fairly short barrel (6.5”). Theoretically, hotter loads (7+ grains of HS-6) should help the comp. In practice, this also results in a noticeable feeling of the bolt ramming the rear end of the receiver. The gun should withstand at least +P equivalent loads. But milder loads appear to shoot faster and softer.

Just assembled about 300 rounds with 4.1 gr of  VV N320 to try. If it makes PF and shoots ok, it might work both for IPSC PCC and Production 

Have you been to this section   https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/318-pistol-caliber-carbine/  most of your questions have been answered their.  

May not be Ruger pacific. A blow back action AR9 is virtually the same. The comp will never work like in a open pistol. once the bolt opens the PSI

is relived . It takes the path of least resistance . Out the ejection port. Do some reading in that section it will save you some components and in the 

end time. 

16 hours ago, AcePrater said:

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll just stick to my minor plinker loads...

Also, a 16" barrel has 4 times the volume of a 4" barrel. This means the gas will already be dispersed over 4 times the area, meaning 4 times less pressure before even factoring in mechanical differences.