Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Posts

It's "dirtier" than Sport Pistol and Shooter's world "Clean Shot."

 

My experience also found "dirty" seems to be because of the extra heat TG has and how it effects the coating and bases of the bullets used. In general I find "HiTech" coated bullets "dirtier" and smoke more than the coating on Blue Bullet, Precision Bullet or J-Ames bullets.

 

Also exposed lead bases on FMJRN bullets were also dirtier than the above coated or Jacketed bullets with bases covered.

 

Hope this helps.

 

BTW if TG is all you can get it loads and shoots fine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you say dirty, I assume you mean sooty?  TG isn't too bad if you don't download, my gripe is with staining brass casings and staining the powder hopper. 

Edited by lll Otto lll
Link to post
Share on other sites

Titegroup is a mess. Really fouls badly. Doesn’t keep the run from running but turns everything black as night. And I run top end charges so it’s not unburnt powder.

Switched to Cleanshot. Haven’t used it yet but hope the rumors are true.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything's clean when loaded near max.

 

I think Titegroup's a great powder, it's cheap and very versatile. Definitely not the "cleanest" powder but that doesn't bother me much. I would like to try Clean Shot but they don't offer their products in Canada (yet?).

Edited by 4n2t0
Link to post
Share on other sites

yeh to wonder what the dirty fuss about tight group was all about. Have used kegs of the stuff. although I always used it in 9mm fmj or 40 FMJ or coated. The old black moly coating. Yeh smoked some if the humidity and sun was right but never found it all that dirty.
Then recently I loaded up some practice 45 acp loads.  Good grief. Looked one of my cowboy mounted guns after a session with pyrodex blanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Titegroup is very dirty but lots of people use it. See the latest USPSA Frontsight magazine Annual for a gear survey: it's right at the top for every division other than open and limited and it's ranked second in limited. I tend to take the stance that natoreloading.com does: titegroup works and is very cheap, but there are better powders that can be had for negligibly more money such as Sport Pistol, Clean Shot, and lately I've seen a lot of Accurate #2 around which I've read good things about.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got many pounds of Titegroup from a reloader who was moving and retiring, so I used it for 9mm, .38 Special, and .45acp.  From a performance perspective I have zero complaints. Meters very well and every round went bang every time and it was never the source of my inaccurate shots.

That said, EVERYONE made fun of me because of the smoke it made with coated bullets and my brass was always filthy.

 

When I went through the last of that batch I switched back to Win 231...and I'll never go back to Titegroup.

 

Same great performance but none of the Titegroup smoke cloud.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 4:25 PM, BryceA said:

Titegroup is very dirty but lots of people use it. See the latest USPSA Frontsight magazine Annual for a gear survey: it's right at the top for every division other than open and limited and it's ranked second in limited. I tend to take the stance that natoreloading.com does: titegroup works and is very cheap, but there are better powders that can be had for negligibly more money such as Sport Pistol, Clean Shot, and lately I've seen a lot of Accurate #2 around which I've read good things about.

Thats because AA#2 has been around forever, just not with a fancy name. "Cleanshot" comes out,, gets alot of hype, folks learn it is nothing more than the older formula of AA2, and then simply buy AA2 which is actually a bit better and only about 50 cent a lb difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 4:28 PM, 124gr9mm said:

I got many pounds of Titegroup from a reloader who was moving and retiring, so I used it for 9mm, .38 Special, and .45acp.  From a performance perspective I have zero complaints. Meters very well and every round went bang every time and it was never the source of my inaccurate shots.

That said, EVERYONE made fun of me because of the smoke it made with coated bullets and my brass was always filthy.

 

When I went through the last of that batch I switched back to Win 231...and I'll never go back to Titegroup.

 

Same great performance but none of the Titegroup smoke cloud.

 

yeah, same thing - except I went to n320. But TG is so versatile, I kept a 4lb keg around - just in case I get in a bind and can't be picky about clean/dirty, since it works well with everything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I shot tight group some but during a long practice session running several bill drills back to back my fiber optic front sight would get to hot and fly off lol .N320 is the cleanest powder I've used.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2020 at 11:50 AM, Joe4d said:

Thats because AA#2 has been around forever, just not with a fancy name. "Cleanshot" comes out,, gets alot of hype, folks learn it is nothing more than the older formula of AA2, and then simply buy AA2 which is actually a bit better and only about 50 cent a lb difference.

 

That's my understanding of the AA#2 situation as well. I don't know that I've seen Cleanshot in stores but it seems that AA#2 is stalking me because I'm seeing it everywhere and for quite reasonable prices considering how positive the reviews are. That said, I read that it is extremely fine powder which will leak out of my Lee auto-disk so I'll probably just stick with Sport Pistol so long as I can find it since it shoots well, meters well, burns cool, is clean enough, and seems reasonably temperature insensitive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes AA2 is pretty fine. Finer than WST. So yes you are better off looking elsewhere. If Sport is working for you sounds like you are good. When I was stocking up last year ( I tend to order max I can under 1 hazmat) SPort wasnt available. I read all the cleanshot reviews, and 244. Figuree out the AA2 thing and just ordered 8lbs of that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 9:52 AM, BigMoneyGrip said:

Titegroup is dirty but what I disliked most about it was how hot the gun got. I switched over to Sport Pistol and I'm happy. The gun is noticeably cooler and much cleaner.


Thank you for writing my post, lazy day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

High up on the dirty list, IMO.   Titegroup has a large following, but it was a hot sticky mess for me.   

I probably could have cleaned up the loads a little bit by upping the pressure, but didn't need the speed for Minor use.  The muzzle and front sight would get covered with gummy carbon deposits.  The heat and the goo killed FO inserts quickly too.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not tried every pistol powder out there...but what I have...Titegroup was dirty and hot compared to all other powders.  N320 and Sports Pistol have been the cleaner and most consistent in metering....velocity and accuracy of all the powders I've tried.  Titegroup got so hot in my revolver after a 32 round stage you could brand cattle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...