Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many pouches for PCC ?

I know this may be a stupid question, but I got my MPX a few months ago, ranges are only recently starting to open back up where I'm from (Argentina), and I'm looking into setting up for PCC, don't know if the news in the US talk much about the economic situation of Argentina, but, let me tell you, it's not pretty, dollars are not easy to come by, and they're not cheap, because of this, I don't want to buy more equipment than necesary, I have enough mags, but if I'm not going to run them on my belt, then I don't think I need pouches for all them.

I'm interested in hearing how many pouches do you guys normally run on your belt.

Thanks and, again, sorry if this question is kinda dumb.

I'm an outlier here.  Three pouches for me for everything.  Some of the classifiers require two mandatory reloads.  ETS 17 round mags for USPSA classifiers; ETS 40 round mags for everything else.  I also shoot SCSA (Steel Challenge) with 6 ETS 17 round mags, but they are not on my belt, except two for Showdown. 

I only run 2 pouches.  one on my hip for my backup mag.  one in front for start mag / classifier reload.  I may carry a third soon.  I prefer my weber tactical pcc gamer mag pouch for my MPX mags.  They're very nice IMO.

I run 3 pouches...  most times 2 are enough.. EXCEPT... when you drop one and have to waste time stopping and picking it up...  if you drop a mag.. you can believe it will fall NOSE DOWN...

1 hour ago, cecil said:

I run 3 pouches...  most times 2 are enough.. EXCEPT... when you drop one and have to waste time stopping and picking it up...  if you drop a mag.. you can believe it will fall NOSE DOWN...

I've shot falling steel matches where the rule is if you drop a magazine it's dead.  You can't pick it up or use it before the stage is over and you've unloaded.  

Always better to have one extra. 

Also run 3 pouches...

Two small, standard pouches near the front and one longer pouch on the side for a spare magazine...  I keep a Glock magazine with 32 rounds for a spare...  That way I should be able to complete any USPSA stage regardless of when it's needed.

I run 2 ghost pouches and a magnet. I use glock mags. A 31+4 in the front  and a 17 +4 in the other. I use the magnet for my starter mag and to hold my flag.(I have a keyring on it)

20200914_183006_1600127058735.jpg

Edited by Kokeman
I run 2 ghost pouches and a magnet. I use glock mags. A 31+4 in the front  and a 17 +4 in the other. I use the magnet for my starter mag and to hold my flag.(I have a keyring on it)
http://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2020_09/20200914_183006_1600127058735.thumb.jpg.316f2686ff6f5b33c5fae07d01194fa1.jpg

I like the idea of the magnet for starter mag and flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 mag pouches. Typically I'll only come to the start position with 2, a starting mag and a backup mag downloaded for emergencies. 

For classifiers with a mandatory reload I'll add a mag, also downloaded, for 1 starter and 2 downloaded reload mags.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 12:25 AM, ard212 said:

I know this may be a stupid question, but I got my MPX a few months ago, ranges are only recently starting to open back up where I'm from (Argentina), and I'm looking into setting up for PCC, don't know if the news in the US talk much about the economic situation of Argentina, but, let me tell you, it's not pretty, dollars are not easy to come by, and they're not cheap, because of this, I don't want to buy more equipment than necesary, I have enough mags, but if I'm not going to run them on my belt, then I don't think I need pouches for all them.

I'm interested in hearing how many pouches do you guys normally run on your belt.

Thanks and, again, sorry if this question is kinda dumb.

Good question! I was wondering the same thing! 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Actually 3, but really only 2.  The third one has my "Barney" magazine in it held by a Double Alpha magazine holder.  It's a mag with only 1 round that is used to initially load the carbine.  It is used first, charging the carbine and then dropped out.  If it comes out empty, then there is a round in the chamber (which does not have to be checked.)

Two more directly in front that use double magnets, the SpeedRL from TechWellUSA.com (https://techwellusa.com/speedrl.html

BC

speedrl.jpeg

Edited by BillChunn
spelling
4 hours ago, BillChunn said:

Actually 3, but really only 2.  The third one has my "Barney" magazine in it held by a Double Alpha magazine holder.  It's a mag with only 1 round that is used to initially load the carbine.  It is used first, charging the carbine and then dropped out.  If it comes out empty, then there is a round in the chamber (which does not have to be checked.)

Two more directly in front that use double magnets, the SpeedRL from TechWellUSA.com (https://techwellusa.com/speedrl.html)

First I've heard of someone using a barney round for PCC.

What is the purpose of just  loading a barney round?

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

What is the purpose of just  loading a barney round?

Probably so he doesn't have to sneak a peek to make sure a round has chambered.  I see a lot of PCC shooters check to see if a round chambered.  I think it funny.  If my PCC was not 100% reliable in every way, I'd fix it so it was.  Besides, there is a difference in tone and feel when the bolt strips a round.

I run a TTI +11 and 1 spare 30 rounder modded to 34 but I'm not even sure I know how to reload that thing on the clock :)

I do keep an extra mag pouch in the range bag in case there's a multiple reload qualifier.

On 10/12/2020 at 3:41 PM, zzt said:

Probably so he doesn't have to sneak a peek to make sure a round has chambered.  I see a lot of PCC shooters check to see if a round chambered.  I think it funny.  If my PCC was not 100% reliable in every way, I'd fix it so it was.  Besides, there is a difference in tone and feel when the bolt strips a round.

That depends on the platform. I shoot a SBR Uzi. I defy anyone to tell if a round chambers or not just by feel.

I run 3 too, 2 on my hip and 1 in front.  Most of the time I only come to the line with mags in two pouches.

I fill all three for multi-string classifiers.

My load mag is in a pocket not in a pouch.