Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 500A 12ga upgrades?

Demus319

• 2 weeks later...

I have two of the older Mossberg 500s. I bought them both years ago with the wooden stocks, short magazines and 30" full choke barrels. I ordered 20" barrels and eight round magazine tubes from Brownells. They are frequently "out of stock" so register and set up the "get notified" feature and wait. 

Besides the barrel and magazine tubes I did the following:

1.  Added fiber optic front sight. Just pick out one you like. I prefer a large bead with no rear sight. Some like the ghost ring rear, your call.

2. I polished the action. 

3. I changed the plastic safety slide for a steel one.

4. Replaced wooden stock and fore end with Magpul. The older 500s have a longer action bar than the newer ones and the fore-end for a 590 will fit. I really like the stock. IF you have a later model shotgun with a short action bar the longer ones are available from Brownells, Midway USA and others for $75. 

I also have a flash light mount since I use the shotgun for night matches.

I have done no loading port mods to this gun since the local club matches I use it for don't require many reloads. 

My handicap is cylinder bore barrel. I have not bothered with modifying for choke tubes. When I have a spinner I bring some 1-1/4 or 1-3/8 oz. loads. It shoots slugs to point of aim.