Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When supplies run out?

TANFARM

Ive got enough for this years matches, its next year Im worried about.

I shot with a PCC guy in my squad last weekend, 1st time using it.  1st two stages were a dumpster fire.  He decided to stop and drop out so he didn't waste anymore of his ammo.

Ive read a lot about the ammo shortage and two things I didn't see mentioned here.  Raw materials...mining operations were hit hard by covid and stuff like lead and copper has been harder to get and more expensive.  Trucking/transportation is another issue, the trucking industry has been shorthanded for years and only getting worse.  They are having troubles moving supplies around, especailly if they have to choose between what they deem "necessary items" and ammo components.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been lucky to find supplies, all but primers. Try your state firearms/gun forums, at the Reloading Classified's, they are selling stuff and fast. I missed about 5,000 small pistol primers by 2 mins, argh! But check often on 2 forums here in Wa and Ore. I usually can shoot 5 Matches a month, but getting very low on primers. So down to 2 or 3 a month. Once Dec comes along, it gets too wet and cold here, good time to stop. Hopefully next year by March things get better. 

For brass, check your local Ranges. They have brass of all sorts. I just picked up 11 lbs of 9mm yesterday. For powder I have found the Forums and lucky enough to get orders placed at the big Box Stores. Ask your family, co-workers, neighbors and friends for brass, primers and powders. Have them watch for ya. Sometimes the smaller town gun stores could have supplies. Hopefully by the end of the year, maybe 2021, we'll start seeing the shelves stocked again. 

That being said they are subject to the same supply lines for raw materials. Which obviously are being crushed with demand and other extraneous forces.

Factor in delivery issues discussed in other posts and here we are.

Ive read a lot about the ammo shortage and two things I didn't see mentioned here.  Raw materials...Trucking/transportation is another issue...

Really, post 14?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol...it was a long day...my apologizes.  [emoji4]

I know. It doesn’t translate well, but I was just busting your [emoji460]️ [emoji460]️.

I thought about it after I wrote it and realized it probably didn’t come across as the joking it was intended to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have enough supplies stocked for the next year (10K). I have also limited my range fire and increased my dry fire. That is about all you can do.

We’ll all get lots o live fire experience when the civil war starts.

Kidding....maybe....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, abb1 said:

Nah, you will all be out of ammo by then 🤣

Yeah, next we'll hear that the ammo shortage is a conspiracy to dry up all the ammo before the insurrection really get's started!  Somehow it will be Trump's fault.

3 minutes ago, L3324temp said:

This is the 3rd or 4th shortage I lived through and am properly stocked. New shooters will learn to be prepared for the next shortage. When there is no shortage and things are cheap, buy and maintain a 2year stock.

At least! 😉 It cracks me up to hear all the newbs calling us hoarders every time we shrug off these panic events. But if the learn they will buy a ton of supplies next time it gets better. 
 It’s not hoarding if you use it.

Well I broke my own rule.  When I am down to my last case of primers I order 15k more.  This time I already had 9mm major, minor and PCC loaded up for the rest of the year.  So I figured I'd wait for the rebate program again this year.  WRONG!  By the time I figured out it was not just ammo that was flying out, I was too late.  I still have that last case, but 5000 won't get me very far next year.

1 hour ago, L3324temp said:

When there is no shortage and things are cheap, buy and maintain a 2year stock.

Yeah, I'm there on everything except small pistol primers.

Edited by zzt

I’ve got more supplies right now than I might ever use in my lifetime.

And when things get better I’ll buy more.

And when I die my kids can have it or sell it. I highly doubt the stuff will go bad or depreciate.

Consider it a transfer of wealth. In the correct direction.

5 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

I’ve got more supplies right now than I might ever use in my lifetime.

And when things get better I’ll buy more.

And when I die my kids can have it or sell it. I highly doubt the stuff will go bad or depreciate.

Consider it a transfer of wealth. In the correct direction.

Same here. If I shoot all the locals near me I have 7-8 years worth of powder and primers on hand and I’ll still buy all I can get when they become available again.

Bullets cost more so I only have 2-3 years worth on hand.

Worked the Indiana Section this last weekend and heard more than once competitors talking about the supply shortage and their plans for shooting competitions going forward.  Several seemed like they would be lucky to make it to the end of the year competing regularly and some were planning to go to dry fire only and shoot only during matches. 

Any match directors out there that are planning to have their Level II and up matches early in the season might be hard pressed to get people to signup for the matches not knowing about the ability to even have ammo.

8 hours ago, L3324temp said:

This is the 3rd or 4th shortage I lived through and am properly stocked. New shooters will learn to be prepared for the next shortage. When there is no shortage and things are cheap, buy and maintain a 2year stock.

Same here ! These shortages are on a 4 year cycle hint hint ! Been reloading for 30  years I remember the mid 90’s 😯

2 minutes ago, will77 said:

Same here ! These shortages are on a 4 year cycle hint hint ! Been reloading for 30  years I remember the mid 90’s 😯

I started right before Sandy Hook and my reloading mentor was a guy who ran a small shop and specialized in reloading equipment and supplies.  Taught me early on to always buy a sleeve of primers at a time minimum and 8lb jugs of powder are better values than 1lb at a time.  He was a guy that had half a million loaded rounds at home and still loaded something everyday.  

I'll have to worry about my level of shooting sometime in 2022 if primers don't come back by then.  That would be for centerfire.  If I have to go to shooting steel matches with .22s then I'm not sure how long it would take to go through 100k + rounds.

1 minute ago, aandabooks said:

I started right before Sandy Hook and my reloading mentor was a guy who ran a small shop and specialized in reloading equipment and supplies.  Taught me early on to always buy a sleeve of primers at a time minimum and 8lb jugs of powder are better values than 1lb at a time.  He was a guy that had half a million loaded rounds at home and still loaded something everyday.  

I'll have to worry about my level of shooting sometime in 2022 if primers don't come back by then.  That would be for centerfire.  If I have to go to shooting steel matches with .22s then I'm not sure how long it would take to go through 100k + rounds.

Nice 👍 my only concern is 22 my son is going through 300 rounds a week Ha at that rate  my cmp surplus will run out in 2 years. If I would have known I’d have bought more 99.00 for 5,000 rounds, and I literally bought a truck load. 

Dry fire more, incorporate movement drills, work on footwork, getting in and out of position, work on fundamentals, etc etc only shoot matches that count, don't waste ammo..  This too shall pass!  Trade with friends, slowly but surely things will go back to normal as they always do~ Sucks to have powder, bullets, brass but no primers, lol~  I'm barely down to 3k primers but fortunately I have about 3k rounds loaded of minor and about 2k of major...  So I am not totally desperate for now, lol~ Normally I go through 6 to 8k a month but times have changed... Sucks to have 60k in bullets, plenty of powder and brass but no primers :( 

10 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

Matches are a lot less fun if you’re the only one shooting them....

Agree.

I usually run practice knockdown matches in the winter, but with COVID and the ammo shortage I'm not what to do.  Most of the guys that show up aren't reloaders, so I'd hate to see them go out and spend $35+/box for ammo (if they can find it).  We want to run SOMETHING, but not sure what to do.

Maybe grab a case of .22lr and just do rimfire.

Agree.

I usually run practice knockdown matches in the winter, but with COVID and the ammo shortage I'm not what to do.  Most of the guys that show up aren't reloaders, so I'd hate to see them go out and spend $35+/box for ammo (if they can find it).  We want to run SOMETHING, but not sure what to do.

Maybe grab a case of .22lr and just do rimfire.

You know where to find a case of 22LR? [emoji38]