Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All Set Up for Carry Optics!

Colorado_CJ

Well, I finally have everything all together to start competing in Carry Optics division.  

I went with a Sig Legion for the pistol and I am glad I did.  It is one of the nicest shooting pistols I have ever owned.  I installed a GG competition kit and an Armory Craft trigger, now trigger pull is excellent and crisp (not 1911 crisp, but very good).  

Yesterday I loaded up some test rounds with some 135 gr cast bullets I made (dropped at 140 grain) and went to the gun range to run them over the chrono.  I settled for Titegroup for a 135 power factor at 980 fps with a 5 fps standard deviation.  

Then last night I got busy reloading.  Loaded up 500 rounds and called it a night.  Now I just need to practice a little before I sign up for my first match.  This is going to be fun!

(obligatory pistol photo - I haven't removed the magwell just yet)

Sig.jpg.398f09051da31455fe98b240efcab337.jpg

Edited by Colorado_CJ

1 hour ago, Colorado_CJ said:

Well, I finally have everything all together to start competing in Carry Optics division.  

I went with a Sig Legion for the pistol and I am glad I did.  It is one of the nicest shooting pistols I have ever owned.  I installed a GG competition kit and an Armory Craft trigger, now trigger pull is excellent and crisp (not 1911 crisp, but very good).  

Yesterday I loaded up some test rounds with some 135 gr cast bullets I made (dropped at 140 grain) and went to the gun range to run them over the chrono.  I settled for Titegroup for a 135 power factor at 980 fps with a 5 fps standard deviation.  

Then last night I got busy reloading.  Loaded up 500 rounds and called it a night.  Now I just need to practice a little before I sign up for my first match.  This is going to be fun!

(obligatory pistol photo - I haven't removed the magwell just yet)

Sig.jpg.398f09051da31455fe98b240efcab337.jpg

Welcome to the addiction.  Nice way to jump right in.

BTW, lose the magwell flare.  Or you'll be shooting in open instead of carry optics.

And did you check that the magazines aren't longer than the CO max length of 141.25 mm with those extensions?  Cause that's another trip to open.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

8 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Welcome to the addiction.  Nice way to jump right in.

BTW, lose the magwell flare.  Or you'll be shooting in open instead of carry optics.

And did you check that the magazines aren't longer than the CO max length of 141.25 mm with those extensions?  Cause that's another trip to open.

Thanks!  Yeah I need to take the mag well off.

I did check the mag length with a 3d printed USPSA Mag measuring tool and they pass (just).  I am using stock 17 round Sig mags with the Taran Tactical +5 base plates.

3 hours ago, Colorado_CJ said:

Thanks!  Yeah I need to take the mag well off.

I did check the mag length with a 3d printed USPSA Mag measuring tool and they pass (just).  I am using stock 17 round Sig mags with the Taran Tactical +5 base plates.

If they just barely fit your printed one, you might want to find someone with an official gauge and check them. 

Open will be deader than revolver soon.
Current group will age out, and newer groups wont see the point of a 4-6k gun  $100 plus magazines that need "tuning" to actually work, and special purpose oddball ammo, when they can play same game with sub $50 mags that work out of the box, an off the shelf gun, a few home installed parts and factory or factory equivalent ammo.

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Current group will age out, and newer groups wont see the point of a 4-6k gun  $100 plus magazines that need "tuning" to actually work, and special purpose oddball ammo, when they can play same game with sub $50 mags that work out of the box, an off the shelf gun, a few home installed parts and factory or factory equivalent ammo.

Truth

I have a Legion X5 to test the waters in all of this.  I truly, truly love it, especially with the DPP installed.  Haven't made any other changes yet, but making notes on items above to do over time, and I figure out wtf I'm actually doing!  Good luck!

On 9/13/2020 at 5:23 PM, Joe4d said:

There is so much truth in your comments.  I was disappointed when I bought my first $125 magazine that did not work.  Seriously, $125 and it didn't work!  I shoot small local matches and only shoot 9mm minor.  I have shot 9mm major but I do not reload and ammo is expensive so I stick with minor.  

I enjoy working on and building my own guns, that is my draw to open. 

On 9/13/2020 at 5:23 PM, Joe4d said:

and, as demonstrated by Max Michel at Area 5, you can still beat the Open guys 

Edited by speedrrracer

On 9/18/2020 at 7:46 PM, Joe4d said:

IMO, its due to the magazines and PF, rather than the optic.

Maybe.  If you're over a certain age, and I am, the reflex sight trumps everything else.  I'd shoot carry optics if it was still limited to 10 rounds.

Being able to shoot to my ability without the visual handicap of presbyopia is a Godsend.

still hanging with the dot. So far it isnt helping me.  My dot died before make ready and I switched to my iron sight revolver. Shot best 4 run set ever. I am shooting pins at 30 feet, so not same as USPSA,,, 

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

still hanging with the dot. So far it isnt helping me.

Not sure if you realize this, but you use your vision completely opposite with a dot compared to iron sights.  I've come to realize that most who struggle with the dot either don't know that they must shoot with 100% target focus, or know so but can't make themselves do so.

very well could be, probably need more dry fire. I am pretty much an index point shooter, and at least think I am target focused. 
Makes sense though. Dot is higher and throwing off my index, so maybe I am then focusing on the screen looking for the dot.

• 1 month later...

Nice looking rig.  Good luck.

I'm not a SIG guy, but if any of their guns could make me look at them, this would be the one.  Grip looks Glock-ish enough to make me feel at home with the added ergonomic joy of some curves.  

On 10/31/2020 at 4:19 PM, orangeman711 said:

No matter what division you shoot if your a serious competitor you will always carry a backup gun.

This!  2 G34.4 MOS for CO, had 2 34's for production as well.  When you think nothing will ever go wrong....