Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 ‘bottom end’ design?

In a thread from many months ago (which I can’t find again) concerning the relative merits of the Super 1050 & RL 1100 presses one poster criticised the design of the 1050 in particular the “poor bottom end design” as they put it & advised the OP to wait until the 1100 was available with it’s large circular bearing. In practice does the 1050 suffer from any particular problem in this respect or is the ‘poor design’ more theoretical & not valid a consideration?

Stuart

Thanks to all for the replies, they are appreciated.

Thanks also for the video link. I follow Rex on his YouTube channel, I enjoy his content & the style of presentation. Yes it is a very good explanation of the presses.

From the Dillon manuals I’m aware of the differences in basic design between the two presses but I’m not clear as to what could be classed as ‘poor design’ relating to the crank/spindle/bearing area of the 1050 as noted in a previous thread (if indeed anything is ‘poor design’). Is the linkarm or crankshaft prone to wear or cracking (or whatever) on the 1050 for instance? I’ve not read many complaints to that effect.

My interest has been stirred as I’ve a chance of a new 1050 at a price which would let me kit it out with a second toolhead, Dillon case trimmer & a few other bits for no more than the price of a basic 1100. But looking to the long term I prefer to buy the sturdiest machine in the first place.

Regards

Stuart

5 hours ago, Stuart55 said:

But looking to the long term I prefer to buy the sturdiest machine in the first place.

Regards

Stuart

If your goal is a sturdy reloading machine, then I'd say look at the Mark 7 Evolution or Revolution too.  I think you can automate all the Mark 7 units as well as the Dillon 1050/1100 and produce hundreds of thousands of rounds per year.  I don't shoot that much, but I'd like to play with automating one or two of my 1050's just for the programming and hardware development side.

2 hours ago, SnipTheDog said:

I don’t doubt you regarding the Mark 7 presses, they look to be wonderful machines but the cost is beyond my budget. I’d be buying from a European dealer & in Europe the difference in price between Dillon 1050/1100 & Mark 7 presses is much greater than in the US so for me it’s a choice between the Dillon products.

If you can get a great deal on a 1050, grab it and don't look back.  You won't regret it.  I bought mine for almost 50% off, set up for 9mm, from a commercial re-loading company whose business had slumped when 9 mm got so cheap.  He had no idea how many hundreds of thousands of rounds had been loaded on the machine before I bought it, but it worked great then and it still does.  I added the Mr Bullet Feeder and it just cranks out the ammo.  You're not going to get hurt with a 1050.  The 1100 may have a more elegant lower end but so what?  Unless you want full automation and have the $$$ and shooting needs to justify it (i.e. Mark 7), you can't go wrong with the 1050, especially if it lets you add the bells and whistles right away vs having to save up for them.  And since the price is right even if you decide to move up to the Mark 7 later, you're going to recover most if not all the money you have in the 1050.  They're not going away anytime soon!