Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Member- USPSA/"Sport Shooting" Suggestions

RSBro

Was referred here from Texas Gun Talk forum, looking forward to learning a lot.  Hoping to venture into USPSA and similar events as a hobby, once tax season(s) are over.  My wife no longer thinks it's "cool" to be 38 (almost 39) and in a band on the weekends, and I don't have enough money to go race GT3 Porsches (yet), so this makes way more sense.

Acquired a Sig Sauer P320 Legion X5 and Leupold Delta Point Pro red dot combo, and it's pretty amazing to me.  Am a Sig veteran and have numerous P228 and P226 models, also a P365 XL I just got this week, NIB, from someone willing to take the hit on sales tax and a non-store sale.  Win for me.  

Am looking at the Comp-Tac International holster as it's one of the few fitting an X5 Legion, but curious about what others use for a dual-magazine belt pouch/holster (OWB), tacti-cool belt, etc. others use and have set up.  Will be using the search function aggressively here.

Looking forward to learning a lot about this fun sport.  

Welcome to the sport. 

Don't use the dual pouch setups. Get some individual pouches and a dedicated two part belt competition belt. With the single,s you can adjust them independently for height (sometimes), spacing, distance around the waist, angle and tension.

Also, a metal drop hanger like the Boss Hanger from BSPS is better than the plastic ones most holsters come with from the mfg.

20 hours ago, broadside72 said:

Welcome to the sport. 

Don't use the dual pouch setups. Get some individual pouches and a dedicated two part belt competition belt. With the single,s you can adjust them independently for height (sometimes), spacing, distance around the waist, angle and tension.

Also, a metal drop hanger like the Boss Hanger from BSPS is better than the plastic ones most holsters come with from the mfg.

^^^this

Boss hanger gives you much more adjustment and Is rock solid. It’s amazing how much better your draw is with a solid holster and stiff belt. Shooters Connection ultimate belt was recommended here too. 

Edited by Farmer

Thanks for all the recommendations.  Will give me some good reading material after tomorrow's business extension deadline.  I'm certainly a believer of the "Buy Once, Buy Right (or Cry Once)" philosophy, so would rather get something that can last should I desire to keep moving forward with this (which will probably happen, especially as ammo becomes available again).  

My only (sorta) issue has been finding stuff specifically for the X5 Legion, but it's becoming more popular so should be available for all I need.

2 hours ago, RSBro said:

My only (sorta) issue has been finding stuff specifically for the X5 Legion, but it's becoming more popular so should be available for all I need.

You'll want at least two single mag pouches to shoot Carry Optics, but three will probably be more comfortable. You're looking to start the stage with one in the gun and two on the belt.

The Comp-Tac holster will be fine, and while the BOSS hanger is nice, the Comp-Tac dropped-offset hanger will be sufficient too. I have some holsters on the BOSS hanger and some still on Blade-techs. 

Just about any two layer belt will work. The DAA is the stiffest in my experience, but only by a small margin. The two layer setup isn't necessary, but it helps keep your holster and mags correctly placed, and lets you take all the weight off at once.

The three (?) 21-round mags the X5 comes with will be enough to start. The Sig subforum here can provide better advice on whether you want to modify them with different basepads or followers. No magnets are allowed in CO.

The magwell that comes on the X5 needs to be removed for the CO division.

Otherwise my main advice is to avoid buying much until you get a classification. Those first four matches will provide an important perspective on what's actually useful to you.

Re Comp Tac........their holsters are not all that.  Give GX Products or Red Hills Tactical a look.  Both are superior to Comp Tac for the same or a little more money

The flimsy, flexible plastic holster hanger that comes with Comp Tac holsters is charitably described as junk.  I'd rather go to a USPSA match wearing a leather pancake holster that at least presents the gun in the same place every time than deal with the frustration of a holster that moves one way when you grip the gun and then in a different direction when you try to draw the gun.

Seriously.......don't.

• 1 month later...

On the holster, you can just push the easy button with a complete rig from Red Hill, Shooters Choice or Ben Stoeger Pro Shop:

https://benstoegerproshop.com/carry-optics-complete-rig-with-boss-holster-daa-racer-mag-pouches-and-daa-belts-for-uspsa/

I don't share @SGT_Schultz contempt for Comp-Tac - I've have their holster on the BOSS hanger and Blade-Tek on the BOSS hanger.  Both worked just fine - but you do want the BOSS hanger. ;).   

I'm also shooting a Sig Legion X5 in CO.   I'm just a couple of months ahead of you in CO ( I shot OPEN back in the 90's) but happy to answer questions.

My set up so far:

Sig Max optic

Springer Precision Plate 

Sig Armorer Trigger

TTi base pads on Sig mags

Add ammo and go shoot! 🙂