Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrade Glock Trigger or Buy A New Pistol?

Herk308

I've been getting back into 3-Gun in the last two years and I'm finding that my strong point is my pistol shooting.  I've been shooting Glocks since about 2008 and I went Open this year with a milled slide and a Holosun.  I'm really pleased with my pistol but can't help but wish that the trigger was just a little nicer; I've occasionally thrown shots that I shouldn't have (I know, that's my fault, not the gun's) because of trigger control so now I'm looking at what upgrades can be done to the Glock trigger... but are there any that are worth it?  Or should I save whatever money I'd spend on a trigger job and put it towards a CZ Shadow 2?

I'll stick with the Glock if possible, but I don't want to chase something I can't catch.  What say you guys?

There's a big difference between upgrading a trigger and getting a new platform all together. You say you know it's your fault, but it sounds like you want a new gun.

There's nothing wrong with that. The question now comes down to what you can afford. If you can buy the Shadow 2, a few mags, trigger job, and holster without batting an eye, then go for it. If not, then you have to ask yourself if you want to spend $250 on a Glock trigger. Which choice would be easier to convince you to choose? That's the one you truly want.

Personally, I'll just shoot it stock.

38 minutes ago, CClassForLife said:

There's a big difference between upgrading a trigger and getting a new platform all together. You say you know it's your fault, but it sounds like you want a new gun.

There's nothing wrong with that. The question now comes down to what you can afford. If you can buy the Shadow 2, a few mags, trigger job, and holster without batting an eye, then go for it. If not, then you have to ask yourself if you want to spend $250 on a Glock trigger. Which choice would be easier to convince you to choose? That's the one you truly want.

Personally, I'll just shoot it stock.

CCLASS said it perfectly.  It sounds like you really want a new gun.  Have you shot the CZ before?  You might want to try it and see if you like it before dropping $1500-2000 in new gear. 

I have been a Glock for a long time.   I have been getting back into USPSA and flirting with a move to carry optics.    I looked at a switch to sig 320 but decided to stay glock.   The triggers are what they are but in the end a new grip angle, giving up my parts, holsters, mags, etc. made me question the move.   The bit of noise surrounding the 320 turned me away.  

CZ is a fantastic gun.   I shot a couple.  I agree with the suggestion above to try one out.   Also FWIW   I have seen two AD DQs in the last 6 months.   Both with CZs. 

I like Glocks and have a few and to be honest for home defense or EDC they are tough to beat, simple guns that always go bang.  For 3 gun I use Shadow 2 and couldn't be happier.  Sights are better, trigger is fantastic low recoil heavy wt gun and ready to go right out of the box. IMO you get a lot for the money with a CZ and a Glock trigger will never be as nice or smooth as the trigger on a CZ.

I owned a CZ 75B years ago, so I'm not a total stranger to them.  My LGS has a CZ (not sure exactly what model; it might have just been an upgraded SP-01) with a trigger job and some mags for sale used and that's what got me thinking about CZ again.  Do I want a new gun?  My heart says yes, my head says no; I've already got Glock holsters, mags, spare parts, etc so I think the smart thing to do would be to just upgrade the Glock trigger, if such is worth it.  What route would you go if you were to upgrade the Glock trigger?  

I've had several Glocks (and other guns) and have bought several aftermarket triggers on BE forum recommendations. Are they better? a bit, but it's still a Glock trigger. I think swapping some of the inexpensive trigger parts makes a lot more sense than spending a $200 on it. 

If I had a chance to redo my Glock years I'd have left them as stock as possible other than the sights of course. All the after market stuff was "maybe" better but nothing made that much of a difference to me.

I sold my Glocks off, along with all my gear, three separate times in the last 8 years. And I keep buying another one. Just bought another frame and am assembling a Glock 19 build... 

The trigger will never be "better" than worked over hammer fired guns or even other striker guns. But it'll be good enough. A Glock trigger that includes a redesigned trigger bar "fin"  or tweaked travel will probably be the only way you'll see huge differences in how it works.

I say decide how much you want to spend, decide if you prefer a rolling break vs a well defined wall, and decide if you want to run Federal primers only. 

I like a reliable gun with a rolling break, and I'm cheap. So I'd do a Zev connector, lots of polish, and go from there. 

If money were no object, Johnny Glock trigger is very cool. 

17 hours ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

Always buy new and keep the old gun just in case you decide to go back.  I am not a true glock fan but I have heard many people say that glock are reliable until you mess with them. M

I have been shooting firearms more than 60 years and would probably have 100 firearms if I was rich enough to always buy new and keep my old firearms.

Glocks will become unreliable if "You Do Not Know What You Are Doing" Otherwise they should be GTG.

TTI spring and connector kit, and an over travel stop is what I had in mine. I liked it a lot. 

That being said,  if you want a new gun, get a new gun. I did the same thing awhile back and sold my g17 to buy a sp01. I liked the cz, but I really appreciated the simplicity of the glock. 

I also like the TTI kit. Remember that gun handling and that double action pull will be a lot different with the CZ. If it's just for 3-Gun, I doubt you'll have any issues with the trigger. When I switched to Tanfo last year it took about 6 months of regular live and dry fire before I was at the same level as before. All that said, if you want a new gun then just get a new gun. 

8 hours ago, apetrulis01 said:

Put a Johnny Glock trigger in the gun !!

This seems like a popular recommendation.  I think that I'll get one of these soon.  It won't be right away since I'm one of those weirdos who actually saves up money before purchasing something but I'll get one soon and report back here on what I think.

4 hours ago, Herk308 said:

This seems like a popular recommendation.  I think that I'll get one of these soon.  It won't be right away since I'm one of those weirdos who actually saves up money before purchasing something but I'll get one soon and report back here on what I think.

It will turn it into an entirely new gun!

Also agree that TTI kit is pretty decent for the price.  It's never going to be a 1911 / 2011 trigger, but there are some shooters who do very well with Glocks against the best guns and competitors in the world.  Ben Stogger and Bob Vogel's names come to mind.  Glock triggers don't slow them down much.