Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who has built an Open Gun? Let’s see your pic.


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my "Open Pewers" Build under instruction of Prof. Atlas. Round limited, but whatevs. I even shot it with irons first time. I'm new to open and kinda new to CZs.

DOTmount4.jpg.f913df8e1e38bc58ba03cf5187f32b4a.jpgDOTmount3.thumb.jpg.96c64771879ced7cc3ddd0d7c6bca544.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Carbine_Philosophy said:

I don't know if I can say I built it. I like to think I merely upgraded it to where it was always meant to be.

20201026_141148.jpg

20201026_141012.jpg

Looks like it would be fun to shoot - thanks for sharing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

Looks like it would be fun to shoot - thanks for sharing.

It was. I went to a match yesterday, that's why the barrel is so dirty. Compared to what I've shot before, including this same gun configured for Production Optics, it felt like I was cheating, it shot so well. Now I have to work on myself and my speed, because I love how it's set up now. Thank you for the reply.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I built mine? I assembled it, at least - some things were beyond my skill level so I had to pay someone else to do it.

 

50386854437_45bac52d97_b.jpg

 

This started life as a really beat-looking STI frame. I built up the bottom end and fit the .45 ACP top end to it (had gunsmith help with the slide/barrel fitting) and shot it as a Limited gun for a while. I converted it to Open when I decided that I wanted to learn to shoot dots. I had Magnaport add the V8 porting and Brazen TiN'd the barrel, then had the slide milled for a Viper. The Viper didn't survive very long so I installed the sideways C-More on a frame mount, bought a cover plate and racker, and had Protocall (Toolguy) mill the plate and attach the racker to it. I can always switch back to a slide-mounted dot by removing two screws

 

The comp does literally nothing (it's a bushing comp) – the gun just looked too stubby without it, lol. The ports do all the work of mitigating the, erm, mighty .45 ACP recoil.

 

Speaking of, is it dumb to have a .45 Open gun? I'd say "probably", though now that small primers are unobtainium I'm less disappointed in myself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago I had a Tanfo Eric Gold in .45 (got a really good deal) and it shot flat running major factory loads. Problem was the capacity of the double stack factory mags. If I remember right it would only hold 12, no 170mm available and they were very un-reliable. Shot it in some pistol pin matches and did quite well. Sold it to a guy in Hawaii with 10 round limits.

 

gerritm

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, matteekay said:

 

Speaking of, is it dumb to have a .45 Open gun? I'd say "probably", though now that small primers are unobtainium I'm less disappointed in myself.

I don't think it's dumb. But my open gun is 9x25 Dillon. Which was only used for like 2 years, 30 some odd years ago, then died. Sure, it's loud, it's odd,etc. But I don't care. I just tell ro's that they should probably double up on ear pro. Run what you got.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Benevolence said:

I think the issue with 45 open is having enough gas pressure to work the compensator and porting, as opposed to 9mm Major or 38SC.

 

Right. That's why the comp is really just cosmetic - the round isn't going fast enough (or bringing enough gas) to do much with it. The porting is more effective at reducing recoil but it's never going to be as good as a properly popple'd and comp'd .38 Super or 9 Major. As it sits, the dot goes to the top of the window under recoil but doesn't leave it.

 

 

9 minutes ago, gerritm said:

Years ago I had a Tanfo Eric Gold in .45 (got a really good deal) and it shot flat running major factory loads. Problem was the capacity of the double stack factory mags. If I remember right it would only hold 12, no 170mm available and they were very un-reliable. Shot it in some pistol pin matches and did quite well. Sold it to a guy in Hawaii with 10 round limits.

 

gerritm

 

Yep. No one makes a 170 that I've found, so I'm using 140's with Gram's 11mm basepads and Gram's guts. I get 17 reloadable (barely), 16 easily reloadable, but they run consistently so it could be worse. I've tried MBX (they claim 18/17 reloadable) but they didn't want to feed in this gun.

 

 

4 minutes ago, nhyrum said:

I don't think it's dumb. But my open gun is 9x25 Dillon. Which was only used for like 2 years, 30 some odd years ago, then died. Sure, it's loud, it's odd,etc. But I don't care. I just tell ro's that they should probably double up on ear pro. Run what you got.

 

Fair point. At least I'm not deafening people, lol ;) .

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, matteekay said:

 

Right. That's why the comp is really just cosmetic - the round isn't going fast enough (or bringing enough gas) to do much with it. The porting is more effective at reducing recoil but it's never going to be as good as a properly popple'd and comp'd .38 Super or 9 Major. As it sits, the dot goes to the top of the window under recoil but doesn't leave it.

 

 

 

Yep. No one makes a 170 that I've found, so I'm using 140's with Gram's 11mm basepads and Gram's guts. I get 17 reloadable (barely), 16 easily reloadable, but they run consistently so it could be worse. I've tried MBX (they claim 18/17 reloadable) but they didn't want to feed in this gun.

 

 

 

Fair point. At least I'm not deafening people, lol ;) .

It was actually really fun to shoot. It had V-8 porting so not sure what the comp did over the ports.

 

gerritm

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

Is that the Akai steel magwell super heavy?

It's a limcat custom stainless steel magwell. They weigh about 8 ounces.

 

The akai is heavier at about 10

Edited by Rnlinebacker
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello: It is a Limcat Aluminum magwell with the steel insert. I also have a Brass one with the steel insert as well. Not sure which one I like the weight of yet. With a steel mainspring housing it comes very close to the weight of a metal grip setup. Thanks, Eric

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...