Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who has built an Open Gun? Let’s see your pic.

Nic_USPSA_C

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I built this, based on a rock island 10mm double stack. It's in 9x25 Dillon now, and still in progress, need a racker put in and maybe slide cuts. She's got her fair share of feeding problems I'm still trying to sort out. 9fb84ccec47dfb4f26832a78b8b5e9f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Looks good.  I had feeding issues and it ended up being my Mags.  There are videos in tuning mags, I doubted this myself since I had brand new MBX mags but after I measured the mags with a caliper and adjusted them my feeding issues have gone away. It was a day and night difference.

Yeah I've tuned my mags. My issue is once I've run about 50 rounds through it from clean, I get rounds not going all the way into battery. Can't really put a heavier spring in, since I already might be to lighten it to get it tuned properly (still get a little muzzle dip), and I don't want to push the shoulder of the case too far back, because then I get head separation. This next batch of ammo I seated the bullets a bit deeper and crimped a tiny bit more. Just not entirely sure what is causing them to not fully chamber. Usually just a slight bump on the back of the slide does it. I'm hoping that if THAT'S not the issue, lightening the slide a bit, which I want to do anyway, will help. I also think my comp is far too large. During my testing with the barrel but before the comp, I had to get a 8.5 lb lighter spring to get it to cycle. The Dillon is an interesting round!

Here is mine.  It's run flawlessly for 9,000 rounds.  I did change the sight to an SRO.  I like it better than the DPP 2.5.

JEM Guns frame and slide, Cheely e2 grip.  Trubore blank with Eric's custom comp cuts and a mix of Cheely, Extreme Engineering and EGW parts.  I'll finish the blending and stone the serrations this Winter.  I still cannot decide what finish I want.

This was my first.  I subsequently built an identical gun on a 1911 receiver as a dedicated SCSA Open gun.

100_1175.thumb.JPG.0b18896291bf618f77b79171d7d55c0f.JPG

Edited by zzt

Here is mine.  It's run flawlessly for 9,000 rounds.  I did change the sight to an SRO.  I like it better than the DPP 2.5.

JUM Guns frame and slide, Cheely e2 grip.  Trubore blank with Eric's custom comp cuts and a mix of Cheely, Extreme Engineering and EGW parts.  I'll finish the blending and stone the serrations this Winter.  I still cannot decide what finish I want.

This was my first.  I subsequently built an identical gun on a 1911 receiver as a dedicated SCSA Open gun.

http://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2019_03/100_1175.thumb.JPG.0b18896291bf618f77b79171d7d55c0f.JPG
I'm with you on finishes. I saw a duplex stainless/dlc with the neo chrome on the controls. And as much as I hate that neo chrome, this one looked dang sexy. Either that or a red, white, blue theme. Or I might just get the whole darned thing covered in TiN. Would be hard not to laugh every time I unholstered

16 hours ago, nhyrum said:

Yeah I've tuned my mags. My issue is once I've run about 50 rounds through it from clean, I get rounds not going all the way into battery. Can't really put a heavier spring in, since I already might be to lighten it to get it tuned properly (still get a little muzzle dip), and I don't want to push the shoulder of the case too far back, because then I get head separation. This next batch of ammo I seated the bullets a bit deeper and crimped a tiny bit more. Just not entirely sure what is causing them to not fully chamber. Usually just a slight bump on the back of the slide does it. I'm hoping that if THAT'S not the issue, lightening the slide a bit, which I want to do anyway, will help. I also think my comp is far too large. During my testing with the barrel but before the comp, I had to get a 8.5 lb lighter spring to get it to cycle. The Dillon is an interesting round!

I have that issue on my first built open gun.  What has worked for me is putting the ammo in a ziplock back and a couple squirts of light oil.  Just a really light coat on the bullets.  It works in this gun and that issue went away as long as I do this.

16 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

You built that yourself, Nic?  Doesn't look too bad!

Thank you.

Having trouble with fitting the slide and frame.  Not good at the lapping process.  Just replaced a frame on an STI and stoned it to fit and that turned really good.

I have access to a mill but have limited skills at using it.  You can see some “chatter” in the cuts.  I have to setup the mill so that I can use the Vice and cutting tools I have available.  This limits what I can do.

I really need to learn how to properly fit a barrel, I am pretty sure this one is not right.  It works but probably not up to quality standards.

15 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

I rebuilt this one from the ground up it started life as a 38 super basket case, I tightened and refit the slide and frame for a 9mm barrel, only original parts are frame slide thumb safety (reworked) and guide rod383a6144e84ff2560ade044c31b4656f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nice looking blaster did you do the finish yourself?  I need to figure something out when it comes to the finish as my guns are currently in the white.

Hope you enjoy shooting it.  To me it says a lot when people build and shoot what they have built in a match.

14 hours ago, zzt said:

JEM Guns frame and slide, Cheely e2 grip.  Trubore blank with Eric's custom comp cuts and a mix of Cheely, Extreme Engineering and EGW parts.  I'll finish the blending and stone the serrations this Winter.  I still cannot decide what finish I want.

100_1175.thumb.JPG.0b18896291bf618f77b79171d7d55c0f.JPG

Looks great, For my next build I am planning to go with a jems frame and slide and pay for the match ready slide frame fit.

I too am on the fence about finishing.  Not sure if I should do DLC or PVD.

Looking at Hayes for DLC or Richter Precision

I do not know if "assembling" counts as building, but I've converted my Limited custom (.40) and Limited Pro (9mm) for open. Both slides interchange with the two frames.

If I could find a Tanfo frame dot mount I'll be happier.

Oh, that's not a Docter, just the scope cover.

tanfo_limited_pro_limited_custom_f.jpg

On 9/11/2020 at 3:42 PM, Nic_USPSA_C said:

As the title says, Just curious how many people have built their own open gun.

I have built 2 and my first one did not go great.  I am currently running my second build and I am thinking about starting my third.

26CA1088-B5EC-42FC-951F-1FB1C03CA021.jpeg

What mag release button is that?

On 9/12/2020 at 5:39 AM, Nic_USPSA_C said:

Nice looking blaster did you do the finish yourself?  I need to figure something out when it comes to the finish as my guns are currently in the white.

Hope you enjoy shooting it.  To me it says a lot when people build and shoot what they have built in a match.

yes, I used KG Gunkote, its pretty easy to do and is reasonably durable