Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ro’s shooting with Squad.

Nic_USPSA_C

Let the squads handle it. You’ll just drive yourself nuts trying to do it for them. Ive been an md for five years or so.  Ive had a squad run into issues with not having range officers once. And later I found out they had three certified rang eofficers who just chose to lie to me about it. Spacing is very easy to handle when you let the squads work it out amongst themselves 

If the RO’s can’t figure this out they shouldn’t be running shooters. I swear some of the stuff I read here sounds made up. Around here we just say make sure there is enough space between us to make it work. Followed by “who’s up?!?”

15 hours ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

How do you handle this at your matches?

How do you adjust the shooter order to allow adequate spacing between RO’s so that they can shoot?

Easy!  Let the RO's run the squad.  Many if not all matches use practiscore to score the match.  It's a simple thing called random on the tablet.  Once the order is set, you usually drop 1-2 shooters every stage.

Is this even a problem where you are?  I've never encountered an issue any issues at any of the clubs I've ever shot at.

Seems like using random sort didn’t always space the ro’s.

My question was more along the lines of scoring and using the tablet.  Squads like to have the correct shooting order on the tablet.

Interested in how people handle placing RO’s in the shooting order on the tablet.

After I sync to stage tablets I don’t touch them. The squads can sort how they’d like on each stage tablet. Shooting order gets called out. Prior to shooting. If the ROs are bunched together it’s not a big deal to just skip one and slide them to the end or have them go first etc. empower your ROs and shooters or else you’re going to spend an entire match fixing perceived issues

I think you’re overthinking things. At the Level 1’s I attend, we establish who the RO’s are and when the shooting order is announced someone who is down the order grabs the brick. As soon as another RO shoots, they take over. Rinse repeat. In the odd chance the ROs are bunched up, we just skip someone and they shoot later. You can go out of order in Practiscore. As long as everyone has been scored when you leave the stage, you’re good.

9 hours ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

Seems like using random sort didn’t always space the ro’s.

My question was more along the lines of scoring and using the tablet.  Squads like to have the correct shooting order on the tablet.

Interested in how people handle placing RO’s in the shooting order on the tablet.

Sign Up on PractiScore.com...  Download match to a phone...  If a squad doesn't have enough known Range Officers, we ask for one to move to that squad.

When RO's shoot in a squad, the tablets travel with the squad, so once the order is created it always stays the same...  So the tablet always shows the correct shooting order.

Using PractiScore's 'Random' sorting order will usually find an acceptable shooting order...  It isn't an unlimited random sorting order though...  It cycles through about six or eight options and then circles back through the original order again.

How do you handle this at your matches?

How do you adjust the shooter order to allow adequate spacing between RO’s so that they can shoot?

If you are talking PractiScore shooting order, there is no perfect solution. You can hit the random button a dozen times and the order still sucks. Just pull them out of order to keep things flowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Nathanb said:

After I sync to stage tablets I don’t touch them. The squads can sort how they’d like on each stage tablet. Shooting order gets called out. Prior to shooting. If the ROs are bunched together it’s not a big deal to just skip one and slide them to the end or have them go first etc. empower your ROs and shooters or else you’re going to spend an entire match fixing perceived issues

Exactly! or just hit the random sort button again.  If you have two RO's back to back, just insert shooters in between them.  I think he's overthinking it.

2 hours ago, stick said:

Exactly! or just hit the random sort button again.  If you have two RO's back to back, just insert shooters in between them.  I think he's overthinking it.

I think so but I think he’s a new MD and that’s terrifying Especially if you want to put on a good match. I used to not sleep the night before a match when I first started so I can certainly relate 

On 9/12/2020 at 6:14 PM, RaylanGivens said:

Using PractiScore's 'Random' sorting order will usually find an acceptable shooting order...  It isn't an unlimited random sorting order though...  It cycles through about six or eight options and then circles back through the original order again.

First time I header this. Should be possible to address it.

When you hit this again, please email support@practiscore.com with the match export file, and additional info, such as stage, squad and also an acceptable oder you wanted/expected to see.

3 hours ago, euxx said:

First time I header this. Should be possible to address it.

When you hit this again, please email support@practiscore.com with the match export file, and additional info, such as stage, squad and also an acceptable oder you wanted/expected to see.

sure would be nice to be able to drop and adjust the shooting order an all tablets big just an IPad.

It would save a lot of confusion and keep things moving along if a person could slide a shooter up or down in the order and make the order how they want it instead of trying to get a random to work.

Also, sometimes when you change the shooting order on stage 1, why does the shooting order switch back when you go to stage 2?

2 minutes ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

sure would be nice to be able to drop and adjust the shooting order an all tablets big just an IPad.

It would save a lot of confusion and keep things moving along if a person could slide a shooter up or down in the order and make the order how they want it instead of trying to get a random to work.

Will be possible at some point after dropping support for Nooks and updating to more recent tools...

2 minutes ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

Also, sometimes when you change the shooting order on stage 1, why does the shooting order switch back when you go to stage 2?

With stage 2 being on another tablet - you will have to sync changed from the tablet these changes were made at.

3 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

I’ve seen this numerous times on the old Nooks. Keep hitting random and eventually it will cycle through and repeat the order, so its not entirely random. If you have an old nook it should be possible to replicate with any match file. 

If someone is willing to do the leg work and prepare match and all the required details that will allow to reproduce this, I can look at it, given details are provided.

15 minutes ago, euxx said:

Will be possible at some point after dropping support for Nooks and updating to more recent tools...

With stage 2 being on another tablet - you will have to sync changed from the tablet these changes were made at.

it was on the same tablet, rearranged the shooting order on one stage and it was different when we went to the next stage.

it was on the same tablet, rearranged the shooting order on one stage and it was different when we went to the next stage.

I can only think that shooter data was synced from somewhere between those stages. Will check if match info is saved in between...

To the OP don't over think it, just let the squads figure it out.

along these lines 

As a MD if I have a squad that looks like it is lacking enough experienced shooters to run smoothly I will move some people around to fix it, luckily I have had to do this only one time in the last 8 years, on another occasion years ago before on line squadding and practiscore I had a squad that was not getting started because they "didn't have any RO's" I thought about moving people around but then looked at who was there and found several shooters with a couple years in the game and explained to them that they could run the squad and just find me if they had any questions, in the end it ran fin no questions and half that squad was at the next RO class. Basically this is a user driven sport sometimes the shooters need a kick in the pants to understand that its there match too.

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

To the OP don't over think it, just let the squads figure it out.

along these lines 

As a MD if I have a squad that looks like it is lacking enough experienced shooters to run smoothly I will move some people around to fix it, luckily I have had to do this only one time in the last 8 years, on another occasion years ago before on line squadding and practiscore I had a squad that was not getting started because they "didn't have any RO's" I thought about moving people around but then looked at who was there and found several shooters with a couple years in the game and explained to them that they could run the squad and just find me if they had any questions, in the end it ran fin no questions and half that squad was at the next RO class. Basically this is a user driven sport sometimes the shooters need a kick in the pants to understand that its there match too.

During our Thursday night matches I always pick two people that come to the matches and train them how to RO a match.  Being from a small town with local shooters I am 1 of 3 official RO’s in our entire club.

If needed I will take the two people I have been training and have them run a squad.  In there squad I put experienced people to keep issues to a minimum. 

11 minutes ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

During our Thursday night matches I always pick two people that come to the matches and train them how to RO a match.  Being from a small town with local shooters I am 1 of 3 official RO’s in our entire club.

If needed I will take the two people I have been training and have them run a squad.  In there squad I put experienced people to keep issues to a minimum. 

I am pretty lucky, we normally have several certified RO on each squad, along with several experienced shooters. 

at one match pre covid with 15 or 16 shooters on the squad one of the shooters picked up the tablet to sort for the first shooter and asked who was able to RO, we kinda looked around and pointed to the two first match new shooters and said not them, the rest of the squad was RO or CRO with a former area director piping up and saying he was probably expired 🙂 

We've seen 'random' give the same (randomized) order on multiple tablets.  I thought it was a feature since it's handy at a match with tablets per stage. 

If not, maybe it should be-- have the randomizer give the same order from a given seed number and have a way to enter that seed on tablets once squads find a 'random' order they like.