Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSI tungsten module vs. Legion module

rocket99

I currently shoot the older X5 with the SSI heavy module, with the SSI tungsten weight and tungsten guide rod. I am thinking about selling it all and buying a Legion grip module to replace it.

Has anyone shot both and noticed any difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello: I have used the standard X5 grip and the Legion grip as well. I have the SSI tungsten insert and also a tungsten guide rod. I have played around with both grips with both setups and guide rods. This is on a X5 not the legion and is for carry optics. I really like the Legion grip but also like the stock grip with the SSI insert. I like the stainless steel guide rod with both setups since it gives me faster transitions than the tungsten guide rod. The Legion grip takes out some of the felt recoil but it is not any faster on the clock. I think it is something you should try yourself to see what works better for you. Remember to use a timer on some drills to see what actually is faster and with better hits. The timer doesn't lie. Thanks, Eric

16 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I have used the standard X5 grip and the Legion grip as well. I have the SSI tungsten insert and also a tungsten guide rod. I have played around with both grips with both setups and guide rods. This is on a X5 not the legion and is for carry optics. I really like the Legion grip but also like the stock grip with the SSI insert. I like the stainless steel guide rod with both setups since it gives me faster transitions than the tungsten guide rod. The Legion grip takes out some of the felt recoil but it is not any faster on the clock. I think it is something you should try yourself to see what works better for you. Remember to use a timer on some drills to see what actually is faster and with better hits. The timer doesn't lie. Thanks, Eric

I think there is more to it than just the times. Comfort. Hits. Hits and times with a bad grip (how easy to shoot). How easy to get a good grip. Return to zero. etc.

On 9/11/2020 at 1:16 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

. I like the stainless steel guide rod with both setups since it gives me faster transitions than the tungsten guide rod. lie. Thanks, Eric

Hey Eric - how much more does your Tungsten guide rod weigh than the stainless steel guide rod?

19 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Getting a good grip is on you and a thing you should practice with your draw. Getting the pistol back on target is part of getting good hits on paper and the faster you can do that will show up on the timer. Thanks, Eric

Your welcome Eric: Yes and no. There are grips where you get a better grip, more easy, etc. You also can shoot as fast as you want, with any grip. Depending on the shape, your handsize etc. different grips can return to zero differently.

If everything is a shooter thing, why even bother changing a grip ?

Hello

On 9/11/2020 at 10:13 AM, rocket99 said:

I currently shoot the older X5 with the SSI heavy module, with the SSI tungsten weight and tungsten guide rod. I am thinking about selling it all and buying a Legion grip module to replace it.

Has anyone shot both and noticed any difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a link to the "SSI heavy module"? 

I couldn't find any 320 grip modules on their website.

The only thing I could find 320 related was the tungsten slug and some sights.

36 minutes ago, ddc said:

Do you have a link to the "SSI heavy module"? 

I couldn't find any 320 grip modules on their website.

The only thing I could find 320 related was the tungsten slug and some sights.

They haven’t been on the site for awhile now. Not trying to hijack post but I have a SSI grip that is like new that I would sell. I have only used it 1 time and just didn’t like the extra width. Thanks Jeff 

Hello: changing grips can give you better feel under recoil and also adding weight to give a better balance on the pistol--"bimmer1980". What is your take on the Legion grip, SSI insert or the tungsten guide rod? I have shot many different combinations and bullet weights in my tests and use the timer and hits on paper to give me the best setup for me. What is your way to test these different mods to your pistol? Just currious. Thanks, Eric

17 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: changing grips can give you better feel under recoil and also adding weight to give a better balance on the pistol--"bimmer1980". What is your take on the Legion grip, SSI insert or the tungsten guide rod? I have shot many different combinations and bullet weights in my tests and use the timer and hits on paper to give me the best setup for me. What is your way to test these different mods to your pistol? Just currious. Thanks, Eric

No, you are right, of course! I just wanted to put some more variables out there. It "sounded" a bit time-weighted. (timer)

For example:

A grip can feel and shoot great, with the perfect grip, but it can be pretty hard to get that grip out of the draw, if something just issn´t right for you. (a bit to small is enough to make it hard to grip it right, for example). Your timer and your hits can tell a different story. The factor adaptation is there too. Magwell, Buttons, size, stippling etc. 

But yes, if you shoot a new grip and you mostly get better hits and times, you mostly don´t have to think about it. If not, you should/could put in more variables and time to really sort it out.