Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Super GP100 9MM Video from Ruger

Kustom

I don't live in the States so don't know the actual prices, but just checked MSRP for this Super GP100 and a S&W 929... 

The Ruger is $ 1549.- and the Smith is $ 1209.-

I would only buy such an ugly gun if it was way cheaper than the S&W... (and even the S&W 929 is ugly, to be honest...)

But then again, that's my useless non-important opinion. 

But it would be interesting to hear how it compares to the 929. 

Edited by WFargo

55 minutes ago, WFargo said:

I don't live in the States so don't know the actual prices, but just checked MSRP for this Super GP100 and a S&W 929... 

I would only buy such an ugly gun if it was way cheaper than the S&W... (and even the S&W 929 is ugly, to be honest...)

929 street prices are all over the place. I’d imagine once the Ruger is out and about it will be too. I’m more interested is seeing the competitive differences between the two at speed. 

I sent probably 150 rounds down range in both a borrowed Redhawk and a super GP in 38, and the quick impressions I got weren’t far off Smith capability. 

17 hours ago, WFargo said:

You may have an easier time getting one than we will in the USA.  🙂

21 hours ago, MWP said:

929 street prices are all over the place. I’d imagine once the Ruger is out and about it will be too. I’m more interested is seeing the competitive differences between the two at speed. 

I sent probably 150 rounds down range in both a borrowed Redhawk and a super GP in 38, and the quick impressions I got weren’t far off Smith capability. 

Congratulations on yet another National Revolver Title! 

Had a buddy attend this year, can't wait to catch up with him on the details.  Haven't been to one since 2014, hit Super Senior next year and am hoping to get back on the match circuit!!!

I've shot on the same squads with Cliff, Jerry and Rich, been able to watch TGO, Olhasso and Matt hope to be able to watch you at a Nationals next year!

Have a 627 Pro (w/dot) and a 627 PC (Iron Sights) and a GP100 in 357 (6 shot, standard barrel, etc...so it's not an apples to apples comparison) did the action jobs and work myself on the S&W's they're at 5 1/2, the Ruger came out at 6 but both feel real good and just based on that I couldn't make a decision on which platform I'd pick.

BUT, the Smith has a few perks that do make a difference to me.  Aftermarket/Upgrade parts availability is better and especially the sight upgrades.  S&W sights are easy to replace/repair and it is pre-tapped for Dot Sight Mounts.  Not a huge issue but for the masses, especially those of us who shoot USPSA & ICORE it can be a deciding factor.

7 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Congratulations on yet another National Revolver Title! 

Had a buddy attend this year, can't wait to catch up with him on the details.  Haven't been to one since 2014, hit Super Senior next year and am hoping to get back on the match circuit!!!

I've shot on the same squads with Cliff, Jerry and Rich, been able to watch TGO, Olhasso and Matt hope to be able to watch you at a Nationals next year!

Have a 627 Pro (w/dot) and a 627 PC (Iron Sights) and a GP100 in 357 (6 shot, standard barrel, etc...so it's not an apples to apples comparison) did the action jobs and work myself on the S&W's they're at 5 1/2, the Ruger came out at 6 but both feel real good and just based on that I couldn't make a decision on which platform I'd pick.

BUT, the Smith has a few perks that do make a difference to me.  Aftermarket/Upgrade parts availability is better and especially the sight upgrades.  S&W sights are easy to replace/repair and it is pre-tapped for Dot Sight Mounts.  Not a huge issue but for the masses, especially those of us who shoot USPSA & ICORE it can be a deciding factor.

Thank you. Fun match, reminded me of the pasa stages a little bit.

I don’t think the Ruger is up to 929 standards, yet. 

But I do think it’s closer than any other gun has ever been. And I also think it’s good enough that it’s an option of someone didn’t want the smith. I want to go into it with an open mind and no preconceived outcomes though. 

FWIW, I busted out my first ever revolver (6" GP100) for some steel practice the other day.  I was cruising at a slightly faster pace than I normally run with the 929.  It only has 6 rounds but I love shooting Steel with the Ruger.  For whatever reason I tend to like the Ruger DAs.

Having a SuperGP in 38 and a couple 627 V-comps here is my $.02 

The Ruger trigger is super easy to get to a reasonable pull, just swap out a couple springs and your at 6.5 to 7 pounds and mine was very smooth. 

The Smith trigger can be run lighter but there is more work to get there correctly and the parts are harder to work on.

The Grip/Frame shapes are different and require a different grip, I grip the Smith higher than I do the Ruger both work but they are different enough to matter.

To me the biggest difference coming from a Smith to the Ruger is the length of the trigger pull,  the Rugers is longer by a fair bit, this is not so much a issue while pulling, but it can become a issue when resetting the trigger, coming from the shorter Smith trigger its real easy to short stroke the Ruger 

The smarter revolver guys probably already know the answer to this one. Throwing it out because I am curious. 

My SuperGP100 has a lot tighter chambers than my 929, in the long term that seems like it will be a meaningful disadvantage for fast and consistent reloads unless competitors pay to have the cylinders bored.  

1 hour ago, Pnut said:

I am waiting a couple of years until there are enough reviews and after market support, then I am probably buying a Super GP 100.

Now where is the fun in that?  Where is your sense of exploration and adventure, blazing new paths with new toys!

On 9/15/2020 at 10:47 AM, MikeBurgess said:

To me the biggest difference coming from a Smith to the Ruger is the length of the trigger pull,  the Rugers is longer by a fair bit, this is not so much a issue while pulling, but it can become a issue when resetting the trigger, coming from the shorter Smith trigger its real easy to short stroke the Ruger

If one's shooting style is to release the trigger finger all the way (I know, amateur rookie) then that wouldn't be a factor, right?

I have a GP100-22lr and a S&W 617 and I don't feel the trigger travel is that different, except for weight of course. I shot the GP100-22lr in a rimfire match and the very tip of my trigger finger was bruised from hitting the sharp(er) edge of the Ruger trigger guard where it meets the frame by the grip, I do need to check my grip and trigger pull technique.

2 minutes ago, IowaNewbie said:

If one's shooting style is to release the trigger finger all the way (I know, amateur rookie) then that wouldn't be a factor, right?

I have a GP100-22lr and a S&W 617 and I don't feel the trigger travel is that different, except for weight of course. I shot the GP100-22lr in a rimfire match and the very tip of my trigger finger was bruised from hitting the sharp(er) edge of the Ruger trigger guard where it meets the frame by the grip, I do need to check my grip and trigger pull technique.

for me it's not a huge problem but it is something to be aware of, 

On 9/22/2020 at 10:18 AM, IowaNewbie said:

TGO champions, I believe, the slap the trigger method on Semi-Auto's and I'd hazard that he does so with the Revolver.  The theory is it removes the possibility of short stroking, I've even short stroked with a 1911 match trigger though there we called it Trigger Freeze.  And TGO doesn't give up anything to anyone on shooting!

JM I believe always stated keeping a live trigger, always rolling it, and I'm pretty sure he didn't slap the trigger.  

It all comes down to personal preference and individual capabilities.  I've tried both and settled on "riding" the trigger instead of "slapping"

But I'm also never going to have the speed of TGO, JM, MWP or any other Champion.

I've yet to see an issue with the difference in a S&W and my Ruger GP100.  Both tuned triggers have different feels too.

As an interesting side note I once had an Apex 4 lb action on my 625.  Even though it had a very positive rebound I continually short stroked it.  It finally occurred to me that under pressure my "feeble" subconscious mind was confusing the light DA trigger with a 1911 trigger, which I was had shot for the previous 30 years, and was not going back far enough.  I tried slapping the finger and it didn't help, for me.  I finally, for other reasons, upped the action weight to 5 1/2 lbs with only slightly heavier rebound pressure and "most" of my short stroking went away.  Further on stock Revolvers I have also ran into the short stroking issue at a much higher rate than with my tuned Revolvers.  I've not had any issues with my 325 EDC Revolver with short stroking, I slicked up the action and set the weight at 7 1/2 lbs.

I wonder if the trigger mechanism can be modified to kind of a "short stroke" system to reduce the trigger pull length, like they do with maybe a Colt SAA or Winchester lever gun and clones where the geometry of the parts is modified such that they work the action with a shorter arc of movement for the shooter. I may not be saying it right, but you know what I'm referring to.

I hope someone comes up with one for the Ruger (and/or S&W), or maybe they already did and my google foo didn't bring it up. Surely, I can't be the first one to think of something like this.

Weight and pull length are, if you think about it, inversely related—a shorter pull means less mechanical advantage. I don't know whether I'd prefer a shorter, heavier pull or a longer, lighter one. I short stroke my Super GP in dry fire maybe 1-2% of the time, though less than that in matches. On the other hand, I haven't done the really aggressive polishing I'd need to do to get it down below the ~7lb it's at now (with a 9lb Wolff hammer spring).

Bob Nichols, in The Secrets of Double Action Shooting (a historical curiosity more than a modern-day guide; he's writing to an audience of bullseye shooters and advocating double-action guns), mentions a distinction between 'short-action' and 'long-action' guns, in reference to the length of the trigger pull. He considered short-action guns a red herring, useful for quick thumb-cocking and not much else, but even the rapid fire string in bullseye shooting isn't action pistol rapid by any stretch.