Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 gen4 changing recoil spring to change impulse?

45Fundi

I typically prefer guns with a faster slide speed and I am shooting a Glock 34 Gen 4 and it feels like it is going "Ku-Chunk, Ku-Chunk, etc." when firing. If I go from the OEM 17# to a different brand or lighter weight mainspring will the Glock 34 Gen 4 function reliably? Anyone with first hand experience willing to advise me? Thanks!

http://www.jagerproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=35

I've only tried the 13 pound spring on the Jager guide rod. You should experiment with different weights. Personally only shot the 34 for half a season then got into 2011s. When I play around with my glock now it does feel a little slower than what I'm use to. 

I’ve got an uncaptured extended steel rod with an 11 lb spring running fine in my G34 with 125PF loads.
I also have an 11 lb captured spring in a G17 that runs fine with the same ammo but chronos at 121 PF.

Both are ISMI springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder how the Glock Performance Trigger will change the equation. When I installed the GPT in my 17, I went back to a stock striker spring, and then had to bump up the recoil spring to get the gun to lock up reliably. 

• 3 months later...

I bought a complete sprting kit (22-20-18-15-13-11lbs)

I started at the 18lb(about the glock factory)

18lbs: no difference

15lb: slide a tad bit easier to manipulate, no noticeable difference while shooting

13lb: slide Definity easier to manipulate, Definity easy on the recoil/impulse side

11lb: VERY easy to manipulate slide, noticed even less impulse ...BUT....I could feel the slide not locking into place.     Occasionally when chamber checking, I would have to gently knock the slide to fully lock up. 11lb just did not feel right at all.

The kit didnt come with a 12lb spring. 

For me...13lb was the way to go

On 7/22/2023 at 12:13 AM, Cuz said:

I wonder how the Glock Performance Trigger will change the equation. When I installed the GPT in my 17, I went back to a stock striker spring, and then had to bump up the recoil spring to get the gun to lock up reliably. 

This is to be expected.  The GPT (and the Timney) hold the Firing Pin at a fully-cocked position, therefore exerting more spring pressure resisting slide closure.

18 hours ago, Braxton1 said:

This is to be expected.  The GPT (and the Timney) hold the Firing Pin at a fully-cocked position, therefore exerting more spring pressure resisting slide closure.

19 hours ago, buckyjames1 said:

I bought a complete sprting kit (22-20-18-15-13-11lbs)

I started at the 18lb(about the glock factory)

18lbs: no difference

15lb: slide a tad bit easier to manipulate, no noticeable difference while shooting

13lb: slide Definity easier to manipulate, Definity easy on the recoil/impulse side

11lb: VERY easy to manipulate slide, noticed even less impulse ...BUT....I could feel the slide not locking into place.     Occasionally when chamber checking, I would have to gently knock the slide to fully lock up. 11lb just did not feel right at all.

The kit didnt come with a 12lb spring. 

For me...13lb was the way to go

Yup, first I bumped up my spring to 15 lbs I think, then had to bump up my ammo, which was a bit on the light side anyway.  It ran good this summer, I liked not having to worry about positive ignition and never had any light strikes.