Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight wobble on recoil

Jlr99

Be patient while I try and explain this. Xdm 5.25 40 limited gun. Bought used with 14lb recoil spring on factory guide rod. I have shot a couple thousand rounds through it and a few matches. So this issue I will explain is new, just started on my last range trip.

After firing a round and while the slide is cycling and my sights are returning to the target the slide shakes three or four times at the very end of the recoil cycle. This never used to happen. The sights would settle with no shake.

The front sight/slide shakes just enough that the front sight will move outside the rear sight window. It is always 3 or 4 times after the pistol had just leveled and returned to battery. This makes follow up shots feel very slow.

The only thing I can think of is that the recoil spring is "whipping" or bouncing on return to battery. Especially since the bounce or shake was always the same number of times. I am buying a new recoil spring but any other ideas? Anyone else experience this?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

I track the sights through recoil and the gun feels like it should be settled, and previous to this outing it would be settled, but now the front sight moves or bounces a few times and I have to wait for it to finish before taking my next aimed shot.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Based on the new info, this doesn't sound like a hardware issue.  @ima45dv8 may have hit it as a possible grip change.  

What you're describing sounds like what happens to me when I have my elbows a little too high.  The sights don't snap down and settle like they should.  When I notice this, I drop my elbows a bit without changing anything else about my grip and the sights snap back like they should.  

I think it's basically that you don't have your usual pressure on the bottom rear of the grip because your elbows are pulling the bottom of your grip apart.  Moving your elbows down slightly will bring the bottom of your two-handed grip back together.

49 minutes ago, N3WWN said:

Based on the new info, this doesn't sound like a hardware issue.  @ima45dv8 may have hit it as a possible grip change.  

What you're describing sounds like what happens to me when I have my elbows a little too high.  The sights don't snap down and settle like they should.  When I notice this, I drop my elbows a bit without changing anything else about my grip and the sights snap back like they should.  

I think it's basically that you don't have your usual pressure on the bottom rear of the grip because your elbows are pulling the bottom of your grip apart.  Moving your elbows down slightly will bring the bottom of your two-handed grip back together.

I found this really interesting. Going to try moving my elbows down. Thanks