Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI IMM Open gun

unfortunatly there is more to my decision not to go this year...I've been fighting Bronchitis for the past two weeks and can't seem to shake it...despite some really cool drugs :)

If I can get cleared by doc after this weekens I'll go...but right now its looking doubtful

Pat

lol...not likely Ron

new blaster rocks!...shot my 115 gr load thru it today..hehe..normally shoots about 175 Pf thru my STI...only factored 153 out of SVI...However my old pet load at the old PF 125gr Todd Jarret bullet from Hornandy over 9.5 gr of 3n37 (do not duplicate... very hot load) gave me 166 PF (as opposed to its old pf thru STI of 182) Grouped very well too...This load out of my STI gave me 3.5" groups at 100 yds..Can't wait to see what it can do out of the SVI!

Gun is very soft with 3n37 and flat! Flames are something else though...completely envelop the gun..woohoo!

Tweaked a few things...fixed slide lock..it won't work anymore ...added steel arched mainspring housing..some extra weight in the frame..intalled 10lb variable wolff spring cut 3.5 coils off to allow spring retainer to bottom out on the shok buffs..since it has a short slide this is nessessary.

Zeroed gun at 50 yds then did a 3.64 bill drill at this distance (but dropped 1 C)

At 7 yds 1.78 bill drills were the norm.

Reloads (yes it shold not be too much different as it is the same type of frame as I am currently using) with SVI factory type mag well (as opposed to my favorite Red Buff mag well) ran between 1.15s and 1.25s at 10yds

All in all a very impressive experience!

Pat

Well now I have a pretty good idea what this gun is capable of...

After debating which gun to use at the Nationals, my old gun which has let me down at every major match this year, or the new SVI IMM gun, which with only three days on it, was largely unproven.

I took both and made the decision down there (at the match) to go ahead and use the SVI. Thats one decision I won't regret. I can't say enough about how well it performed. With the exception of two malfunctions, traced back to a bad mag, it worked flawlessly. Not even a hint of trouble. It cycles extremely fast. So fast that some of the earlier guns with light slides need a square firing pin stop to slow it down a bit. Extraction and ejection were perfect. Not even a trace of hesitation on the cycle.

And man is it flat shooting! Being new to the gun and down with Bronchitis I went into the match with only the plan to watch the dot on every shot and let it tell me what the gun can do. Well I ended up with three no-shoots, all edgers from putting a bit too much grip tension on the gun. And one miss from pulling off a target. (my bad)

Other than that points were good across the board. And my times held up with most of the higher masters/lower GM's.

The only major problems with the gun, and they are minor (at least to me) 1. Powder selection is critical. It looks like 3N38 will be the way too go, my pet 3N37 loads made it but were marginal on PF - 167 pf to be exact and they were a very hot load! Sandy says most shooters are having luck with 3N38 and bullets with long bearing surfaces eg 124 gr hollowpoints. 2. It is one LOUD GUN!...I pity the poor RO's that have to run shooters with these guns.

When we showed up at the match, Mike Auger and myself went to the sight in range. After warning the rest of the line we opened up...then reallized everyone else had stopped and were cringing from the blast. Soon Matt Burkett and the rest of the SVI team showed up with their IMM's and the line cleared!...It is definitly a bit much. You don't notice it much as the shooter but if you are off to the side a bit the blast is wild!

I'll post more as I experiment but for now what I have done ( and this was prior to the match) was add a steel arched mainspring housing and boost the hammer a few times.. other than that it pretty much was as it comes in the box.

Later

Pat

Ps and that was with regular .38 super brass...just got some new super comp at Nationals...and of course the gun is lubed with Slide Glide

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 5:50 pm on Sep. 24, 2001)

I shot a mag through one at the SV demo. Very sweet handling, maybe lighter feeling than a long/heavy Limited gun. Wish I could try it on a "swingy" field course. Not especially flat-shooting for me, but the dot did track straight up and straight down. It wasn't until after I shot it that I realized it was very soft and didn't transmit a sharp zing to my hand like some foo-foo guns and loads do.

Oh yeah, in case you don't believe Pat, it is obnoxious.