Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Shoot an Optic with the Sun in Front

CClassForLife

• 3 weeks later...

Ran into this problem the first time I shot carry optics. Have an SRO and heard this was one of the problems with this particular optic. Supposedly it doesn’t happen with the SIG optic. Can anyone provide any info on that?

thank you

11 minutes ago, Boudreaux78 said:

Ran into this problem the first time I shot carry optics. Have an SRO and heard this was one of the problems with this particular optic. Supposedly it doesn’t happen with the SIG optic. Can anyone provide any info on that?

thank you

Yes, this is accurate.  There is a video somewhere, not sure it if is on here or not but essentially the person compared just about every common optic used in USPSA and all but the Sig Romeo 3 Max and XL had issues with the sun by creating another dot on the optic.  I have experienced this with the SRO as well and have yet to experience with the Sig Romeo 3 Max I have.  My experience with the Max is limited, but I had to send the first one back after 500-700 rounds.  Essentially it would not zero.  Since I know what to look for on the SRO, I just dial up the dot for a stage or two until the sun is no longer an issue.  Not ideal, but I have not found the brighter dot affected being target focused, and is easy to distinguish the optics dot versus the dot produced by the sun.

I have another gun that is not setup currently, but the Romeo 3 Max will be installed on and intend to do some testing in regards to durability for next season.  For the next season I will have two match guns I will split time on that will have different optics over the next year and then decide on one optic.  I love the SRO in regards to everything except the double dot issue when pointed into the sun.  If the Sig Romeo 3 Max proves its durability I will switch to that optic.  If the durability does not pan out I will stick with the SRO and deal with the double dot issue.

I have a buddy who has ditched his SROs for the Sig Romeo 3 optics, and has yet to share any issues with me.  

As of now, I do not think there is a straight answer in my eyes with any optic.  They all seem to have at least one flaw everyone has to deal with.  Given these optics are in their early years hopefully all the manufacturers are working on answers to correct that one or two issues each seems to have.  Especially since sales in Carry optics for competition, carry weapons has exploded over the last couple of years.  I only see the market growing.  To maintain market share it only makes sense to make these products better.  Lucky for us hopefully.

In any case slide mounted optics should be considered a consumable item.  The abuse they take every time the slide cycles is pretty extensive.  To be honest I am amazed they last as long as they do.  

Good luck.

Hello: If they don't allow install and removal of the tape then you may want to use it for the whole match. So if you can't see the targets and the later squads can see the targets would that be a range failure or adjustment issue or an advantage? Just thinking out loud. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: If they don't allow install and removal of the tape then you may want to use it for the whole match. So if you can't see the targets and the later squads can see the targets would that be a range failure or adjustment issue or an advantage? Just thinking out loud. Thanks, Eric

I call that luck of the draw. Just like first few days nice and sunny then storms and rain all day Sunday.