Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Shoot an Optic with the Sun in Front

CClassForLife

Carry Optics Nationals is held in Frostproof this year. The range is notorious for having the sun being in your face when shooting on the AM squads. When the sun hits the optic from the front, it might cause a false dot to appear. Some go ahead and buy an optic that mitigates this issue (Sig 3XL), others learn to ignore the false dot, and a few get surprised as they see it for the first time.

The simplest solution is to just get some blue painter's tape and tape the front of the optic. No more false dot, higher contrast with the red dot, and it protects your lens. Heck it's so good, I might just shoot all my matches with it from now on.

Same principle as the old Armson Occluded Eye Gunsight  (OEG) one of the early dot sights

A solid tube with a tritium? Dot, look thru it with one eye closed and all you see is the dot, open both eyes and the red dot gets superimposed onto what you’re looking at. A definite what the hell the 1st time I used one

Having shot a lot of matches at Frostproof, You definitely need something.  I've seen a lot of people use hoods on their optic.  I have the Arredondo hood for my C-mores.   I'm not sure about the Sig. You can easily make one with the blue painters tape. 

At the World Shoot in Frostproof we started the morning on the mover stage looking straight into the rising sun.  At least a couple iron-sight contenders on the squad taped large visor-extensions onto their hats...

On 9/10/2020 at 10:37 PM, BoyGlock said:

Some limitations: Shooting behind barricades and thru window/port with grills. Even if both eyes open wont see targets, only see the tape. At least for me. 

Yeah, it's not something you keep doing.  At least it wasn't in the old Open days.  You'd do it until you learned to keep both eyes open, then take the tape off.

On 9/12/2020 at 11:50 AM, rishii said:

Same principle as the old Armson Occluded Eye Gunsight  (OEG) one of the early dot sights

A solid tube with a tritium? Dot, look thru it with one eye closed and all you see is the dot, open both eyes and the red dot gets superimposed onto what you’re looking at. A definite what the hell the 1st time I used one

Hahah beat me to mentioning this bit of history.

Lots of IG carry optics videos lately w occluded sights. Matt Hemple is especially showing them lately. 

Edited by rowdyb

5.1.7 Competitors must use the same firearm and type of sights for all courses 
of fire in a match.  However, in the event that a competitor’s original firearm 
and/or sights become unserviceable or unsafe during a match, the 
competitor must, before using a substitute firearm and/or sights, seek 
permission from the Range Master who may approve the substitution 
provided he is satisfied: 

5.1.8 A competitor who substitutes or significantly modifies a firearm during a 
match without the prior approval of the Range Master will be subject to the 
provisions of Section 10.6. 

The sights are the same type, and is blue painters tape a significant modification? It's a good point to bring up though Mike

24 minutes ago, waktasz said:

The sights are the same type, and is blue painters tape a significant modification? It's a good point to bring up though Mike

I can think of RM's I'd bet would say that is significant, especially if you told them you were doing it to help with the sunlight. 

I asked the Area 4 RM:

Am I allowed to put the tape off and on between stages? For example, do I need to ask for permission if I want it on for stage 1, off for stage 2, on for stage 3, etc.?

His response:

Whatever equipment the pistol starts with needs to stay on for the whole match. That said the tape on the scope is not really covered under the rules, similar to skateboard tape on grips. Do whatever you want with the tape.

Edited by CClassForLife
Formatting

On 9/15/2020 at 9:39 PM, CClassForLife said:

I asked the Area 4 RM:

His response:

I think you should explain the reason behind wanting to make that change. See if that changes the answer. And I'd agree with above about kicking it to the DNROI.

He's basically saying you're equipment needs to stay the same for the whole match, but you can change your equipment from stage to stage if you want.

Just now, Racinready300ex said:

I think you should explain the reason behind wanting to make that change. See if that changes the answer. And I'd agree with above about kicking it to the DNROI.

He's basically saying you're equipment needs to stay the same for the whole match, but you can change your equipment from stage to stage if you want.

At first, the RM assumed it was for the purpose of a dust cover. I then explained it was to prevent a false dot when shooting into the sun. The response I posted was after the explanation. I'll email the DNROI and will update the post.

1 hour ago, CClassForLife said:

At first, the RM assumed it was for the purpose of a dust cover. I then explained it was to prevent a false dot when shooting into the sun. The response I posted was after the explanation. I'll email the DNROI and will update the post.

I bounced this off of a buddy of mine who's RM'd a few Area matches. He quickly said he'd call that a major modification and not allow it. Be interesting to see what DNROI says.