Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 optic options

Racinready300ex

So I have friends recommending primary machine, send them your slide and dot looks like $170 they mill slide, cerakote and send it back to  you.

CZ custom looks like $200 and they mill the slide for their plate. 

What's better, price difference really doesn't matter. I hear some say plates act like a buffer and may extend optic life, others think direct mounting is better. The biggest plus in my eye's to a plate if next year a new dot comes out that rules them all I'll just need a new plate and I can run it. The draw back seems like twice as many screws to worry about coming loose, and I'd assume the plate uses shorter screws which would be more likely to come loose. 

Thoughts? Experiences? 

I have had milled slides and they fit better but if you cross thread or sheer a screw off you might need a whole new slide. I went with cz plate system in my shadow 2 but there is an ugly gap. Functions perfect though, and dot height is great. Some say non milled puts the dot too high but not in my case.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, chomorro said:

I have had milled slides and they fit better but if you cross thread or sheer a screw off you might need a whole new slide. I went with cz plate system in my shadow 2 but there is an ugly gap. Functions perfect though, and dot height is great. Some say non milled puts the dot too high but not in my case.

I'm not to worried about dot height, I figure I can train through that in DF. What gap are you talking about? The gap under the front of a SRO?  I hadn't thought about what happens if I shear off a screw.

I'm leaning toward the CZC plate system at this point.

I think the biggest pro to the CZC plate system is the ability to toss back on a rear iron sight and shoot in production. 

I’ve got a primary machine s2 and f4e a01 both with SROs. The dots fit real well in the cuts and I’ve never had issues with them coming loose. As far as shearing screws, they can be extracted, or drilled and retapped. 

I have both, milled and plate. I like the plate better but only because I switched optics. Now I have a perfectly working slide with an optic I don’t use.  Both work fine but the plate allows you to change your mind. 
Especially with all the new dots coming out. You never know what you might want.

The plate system has its advantages, I just don’t like how it looks with the gap between the front of the dot and the slide.

I realize this is necessary to make it work with all of the different dots but just doesn’t look right to me.
Just look at it from an angle hahha. I hated it too but after shooting it its so much fun doesnt bother me anymore.26fd709143dad31c669814fec4440d2b.jpg477b26ab73899376c8dfbb2c21b10755.jpg

Now I see what you mean by the gap. It is kind of ugly but not a deal breaker. 
Honestly other manufacturers make plates with a fill in piece in the front. Not sure why czc doesnt. But you have to use their plates with the rds cut.

If I was chopping a Shadow 2 I would go with Primary Machine for a SRO / RMR pattern. If CZ took much longer to release the S2OR I had already sent Bruce at PM a few quick emails and was planning on going that route. 

If you're wanting to use another dot go with the CZC cut so you can swap plates / dots. I picked up the S2 optics ready and use a CHPWS plate for the SRO. So far so good and from the feedback around the no BS folks, CH definitely seems like the way to go. 

9 hours ago, Malarky112 said:

CZC Plate system is the way to go IMO.  Heads up...currently the plate for the SRO is out of stock...has been about two weeks now.

Well it sounds like it's a 6-8 week turn around the get the slide cut for the plate anyway. So the plate being in stock now or not may not matter much. 

I have the CZC RDS plate on both my SP01 and SP01 Bull Shadow, I really prefer the the plate system for the ability to change optics if you want like I did. I originally had a Venom mounted to my SP01 and switched to an SRO when it came out. If I had direct milled the optic no way I could have used an SRO without paying someone a ton more money to re-mill the slide to fit an SRO (if that’s even possible). 

• 2 weeks later...

some big names, CZC, Cajun, Primary, Fire4Effect LLC all their pretty well received user bases for CZ optic milling.  Smaller local shops too, Vulcan Machinewerks.  pros and cons to each of having a replaceable plate or not, height, cosmetics, etc.  Generally I've found people have strong opinions if they had a bad experience - like a plate breaking in a match, those guys are going to say never get a plate.  others never have this happen, may never have it happen, and don't care.  ill just say if you mill your slide like I did, I got RMR cut for trijicon and holosun options.  seem to resale way better this way.  milling for say, DPP....could limit options in the secondary market unless you find a guy married to that specific optic.  seems like a well milled plate system like CZ is still worlds better than a ghetto dovetail mount.  Those seem to be way more problematic. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a CZC 75 Bull Shadow optic ready. When I purchased it I went with a CZC plate for a Vortex Venom which at that time was my favorite red dot.   I acquired a Sig 226 Legion with a Romeo1 PRO which is now my favorite red dot and I have owned them all.  So I called Stuart @ CZC and ordered a Romeo1 PRO plate for the Bull Shadow .   Easy peasy change when using a plate system.

I also have a Shadow 2 OR. Purchased a plate for the Romeo1 PRO from Stuart @ CZC  and now have a Romeo1 PRO on the Shadow 2 OR.

I love the plate system of mounting red dots. And I have found the plates from CZC to be a perfect fit and expertly machined. 

Just sayin'!