Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo Stock2 or CZ Shadow2?

Tophernj

I'm looking for my next "Precious" and am between and betwixt these two. Will run in local matches in the spring. I will most likely add an optic for CO.  Want the time to do some load development so I'd like to figure out what I want sooner than later.

If anyone has both, I'd love to hear your impressions! If you've had one or the other, honest opinions on the pros and cons of either is eagerly anticipated.

Thanks.

Can’t speak about the Tanfo, but I real like my Shadow 2. Out of the box it’s great, though I did put in a lower main spring, extended firing pin and DPM recoil system. If you are considering CO, I would recommend the Optics Ready version and avoid any milling. 

30 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

I have both. You’re in Paramus. If you ever make it out to a match at Matamoras I’d let you fondle each. 

Prefer the shadow2 

Are they currently holding matches? 
If so let me know. If they’re on Sunday I may take the ride. It’s about an hour and a half. 

I tried the Stock 2 - and it was such torture trying to tune it to an "acceptable" trigger pull.  Kept on getting light strikes, even with Win primers that I just gave up, and it was not for lack of trying.  I was obsessed with getting the platform to work but the relationship ended up being like a bad marriage.

The CZ SP-01 (shadow 1) on the other hand was a total breeze to tune.  Got the trigger pull I was happy with and it eats everything.  If only I could take back the hours and days upon weeks spent on the Tanfo.

If you like the larger grip I hear the Shadow 2 has a similar grip to the Stock 2.

In my opinion, between the Stock2 and the Shadow2, it's one of those "the grass always greener on the other side" kind of thing. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I'd say pick one and stick with it.

I went with Shadow2 because I used to have Shadow1 (SP-01) and really liked it. Plus, during the time I had the Shadow1, Stock2 was hard to come by. The only thing I personally dislike about Shadow2 is its factory grips. I have long fingers and find the factory metal grips are too thin. I put on a pair of Lok Palm Swell Bogies, the contour of them is identical to Shadow1 rubber grips. Problem solved.

Hope this helps!

Thanks folks. 

I am leaning a bit more toward the CZ for several reasons: parts availability seems better, holsters are a bit easier to come by, and there is probably a reason that it’s what most folks shoot. 
I’d love to find an OR but won’t hold my breath. 

Both are nice guns, I'd probably be happy with either but I've been shooting CZ's for longer so I know them better. Both OR versions are tough to find right now. The Tanfo's aren't as hard to shop for as far as upgrades as they once were... but that said, the DA pull on the Tanfo's is kind of weird. Don't know if it matters to you, but talking the OR versions specifically, you can shoot the S2OR in Production with it's fixed rear-irons plate in place if you want, not sure if you can do that with the Tanfo...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a follow up...

I wound up chatting with the gent selling the pistol.  We worked a deal for it and it came home the other day.  I am hoping to get it to the range in short order but with all that's happening I'm not sure when.  But, shortly.

5E5021AA-5814-405B-82F2-1377579A8047.jpeg

Edited by Tophernj