Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170mm mags

jstagn

When I take my base pads off to clean I check if there is much tension. If there isn't I replace them. Also I will put 3 rounds in the mag and flip them off to see how much energy there is. If they just fall out I replace the spring. Not science but it works for me. I also, take the used 13 coil from my big sticks and rotate them to my 140 mags. I loose 1 round in capacity but so what to me.  I would never change before a major without first testing them in a match or practice to verify reliability. Good luck!

I have a rotation of match mags so I change Springs usually once a season. I have 4-170s and 8-140s that I run for matches in a 3 mag configuration. 1 big 2 small. So they dont see as much work as the guys that runs mainly the same mags every stage. I have not had any issues changing them out once a season. I run STI Gen2 Mags, with TTI Guts. 

Edited by TRPOperator

When I bought my MBX 40 mags (140 and 170) I ordered replacement spring for them at the same time.  After three seasons they are still untouched.  I'm still on the original springs for my MBX 9mm 155 and 170 mags.  One of the reasons is I down load my mags.  Even though the 155s will take 26 reloadable, I only put 25 in.  Same with the 170.  29 instead of 30.  It really saves the springs.

3 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: What I do is take the mag apart and look to see if I have at least 3 coils sticking out of the bottom of the magazine when the follower and spring are fully in the tube. That will give me enough tension. Less than 3 coils can be a problem. Thanks, Eric

This!!

17 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: What I do is take the mag apart and look to see if I have at least 3 coils sticking out of the bottom of the magazine when the follower and spring are fully in the tube. That will give me enough tension. Less than 3 coils can be a problem. Thanks, Eric

Wow. This makes perfect sense and anyone can do it. Thanks again Eric! 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a salt shaker 170 mag at a match this weekend.  Follower flipped over and bunched the spring up in the bottom of the mag.  MBX mag with MBX follower and spring.  Do any of you have a cure for this?

What springs and followers do you use?

Anything I should check to keep this from happening?

Is it common to load a magazine and be able to hear a bullet move around in the magazine?  Seems like this happens often so I unload a few bullets and put them back in and do this until the rattle goes away...thoughts?

1 minute ago, echotango said:

Grams spring and follower and problem solved. MBX fanboys will disagree and say they all run 100%.  The follower is a horrible design imo.

I’m going to this soon. My MBX are pretty new but will replace with Grams when needed 

1 hour ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

Had a salt shaker 170 mag at a match this weekend.  Follower flipped over and bunched the spring up in the bottom of the mag.  MBX mag with MBX follower and spring.  Do any of you have a cure for this?

What springs and followers do you use?

Anything I should check to keep this from happening?

Is it common to load a magazine and be able to hear a bullet move around in the magazine?  Seems like this happens often so I unload a few bullets and put them back in and do this until the rattle goes away...thoughts?

As they come from the factory Gen 2 MBX 9mm followers are angled down too steeply.  Bend the spring so the follower sits a little more level and you will avoid that problem.

Yes, you can hear rounds shaking in the mag sometimes.  The proper loading technique for 9mm is to load the mag about 2/3 full then repeatedly depress the top round with your Lula.  This helps the tapered 9mm case stack better.  The continue loading.  I make a habit of slapping the rear of the mag against the heel of my hand until it makes a dead sound.  Then all the cases are firmly against the read of the mag.  If you load fully and hear a rattle, remove the top round, slap the mag against the heel of your had, then reinsert the last round.

BTW, I tried Grams guts in one of my MBX mags and they did not work.  When I run out of MBX springs and followers I'll call Bevin and ask him what the correct setup for Gen 2 tubes is.  I love MBX mags but could care less whose springs and followers are in them, as long as they work.

On 9/9/2020 at 4:13 PM, zzt said:

When I bought my MBX 40 mags (140 and 170) I ordered replacement spring for them at the same time.  After three seasons they are still untouched.  I'm still on the original springs for my MBX 9mm 155 and 170 mags.  One of the reasons is I down load my mags.  Even though the 155s will take 26 reloadable, I only put 25 in.  Same with the 170.  29 instead of 30.  It really saves the springs.

what combo of mags and springs are you using for a 30 rd big stick? I can only ever get 29 in mine

4 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

what combo of mags and springs are you using for a 30 rd big stick? I can only ever get 29 in mine

Factory everything.  While I can fit 30, it is not easily reloadable.  I would have to slam it in really hard to get it to seat and I refuse to do that.  The extra round wouldn't buy me anything anyway.