Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for multiple calibers?

R1_Demon

Nobel Sport Vectan powders are great, very economic (1.1 lbs for about $20) and available at Graf's. I use BA9.5 for 357 mag, but it can be used in pretty much all pistol calibers. I also stocked up on Prima and Prima V which I like for 9 mm, but they are no longer available.

16 hours ago, R1_Demon said:

Also, I thought they only use 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP for most competition?  I thought .380Auto is too "small"?  Or is that what you mean?  People used to use .380Auto and now they don't so the brass is just sitting there?

Lots of us buy or collect used brass from public ranges were the mix is then sorted. It's notoriously difficult to separate .380 from 9mm. Anyone loading 9mm will also have a small percentage of .380 in their collection which is often discovered when fed from the case feeder onto the shell plate -- another place for your eyes to check while reloading. On the 750, the 9mm case will be flush with the height of the case insert slide assembly (part# 97082). If it's 2mm short it's a .380, if it's 2mm too tall then it's a 38 super.

1 hour ago, belus said:

Lots of us buy or collect used brass from public ranges were the mix is then sorted. It's notoriously difficult to separate .380 from 9mm. Anyone loading 9mm will also have a small percentage of .380 in their collection which is often discovered when fed from the case feeder onto the shell plate -- another place for your eyes to check while reloading. On the 750, the 9mm case will be flush with the height of the case insert slide assembly (part# 97082). If it's 2mm short it's a .380, if it's 2mm too tall then it's a 38 super.

Good info.  :)  I bought used .380 Auto brass from a reloading shop, but they are inside of a range.  So, obviously they came from their range.  I plan on going through each case (500) to verify they are, in fact, .380 Auto and no splits or weird case anomalies. 

But I appreciate the tip.  I'll have to remember this while reloading when I finally start getting my own brass from shooting and accidentally picking up other's brass around me as well.  I'm not going to trust someone else's sort, so I figured it's best for me to go back through them anyway.  :) 

Do people just go to the range and ask them if they have any extra brass or ?  How do people get their brass from the range itself? (not picking up their own, obviously)  I've never thought to ask a range for their brass (mixed or whatever).  I figured they probably used it and reloaded the brass themselves.  Hmmm...

2 hours ago, R1_Demon said:

Good info.  :)  I bought used .380 Auto brass from a reloading shop, but they are inside of a range.  So, obviously they came from their range.  I plan on going through each case (500) to verify they are, in fact, .380 Auto and no splits or weird case anomalies. 

But I appreciate the tip.  I'll have to remember this while reloading when I finally start getting my own brass from shooting and accidentally picking up other's brass around me as well.  I'm not going to trust someone else's sort, so I figured it's best for me to go back through them anyway.  :) 

Do people just go to the range and ask them if they have any extra brass or ?  How do people get their brass from the range itself? (not picking up their own, obviously)  I've never thought to ask a range for their brass (mixed or whatever).  I figured they probably used it and reloaded the brass themselves.  Hmmm...

simple way to separate 380, 9 and 40, you'll need a few bullet trays that come in the blazer 40 or 45 ammo, go to the range and dumpster dive the trash, they're white and have square holes. next get a big tray, line he bottom with the bullet trays and from about a foot up, slowly drop handfuls of brass into the trays. about 80-90% will land with the case mouth facing up. now it's easy to see the different cases, 380 is shorter, 40 is taller and fill the square hole. also check for stepped brass, berdan primed, cracked brass, next take a empty tray put it over the one you're hold and flip the check the rest and look for crimped brass and if you want to sort by headstamp now's the time to do it.

31 minutes ago, rishii said:

simple way to separate 380, 9 and 40, you'll need a few bullet trays that come in the blazer 40 or 45 ammo, go to the range and dumpster dive the trash, they're white and have square holes. next get a big tray, line he bottom with the bullet trays and from about a foot up, slowly drop handfuls of brass into the trays. about 80-90% will land with the case mouth facing up. now it's easy to see the different cases, 380 is shorter, 40 is taller and fill the square hole. also check for stepped brass, berdan primed, cracked brass, next take a empty tray put it over the one you're hold and flip the check the rest and look for crimped brass and if you want to sort by headstamp now's the time to do it.

Awesome tip!  Thanks!  :) 

1 hour ago, rishii said:

This! Very fast and efficient.