Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot on Shadow or Shadow 2....which?

nagantino

Hi, 

I shoot a lot of IPSC Pistol with a CZ Shadow in Production Division. Just this week a Shadow 2 Optics Ready (OR)has become available near me. It’s not cheap €1425. I own a Vortex Viper red dot which was rarely used so I thought why not mount it on my Shadow, but when the Shadow 2 became available it gave me my quandary : Stick with the Shadow and mount the RD or mount it on the Shadow 2.
1. What is the benefit of an optics ready Shadow2?
2. Is the Shadow with a RD the same experience.

3. Is the Shadow2 dot easier to “find” because it’s lower on the slide?

I know the Shadow2 OR will not sit for long in the local dealers, so what do you think?

2 hours ago, nagantino said:

1. What is the benefit of an optics ready Shadow2?
2. Is the Shadow with a RD the same experience.

3. Is the Shadow2 dot easier to “find” because it’s lower on the slide?

1. It is optic ready. No need to have it milled or do other stuff. You have a factory warranty and set up. It takes the same mags at a SP01 Shadow or any other 75 series gun.

2. I say no. The difference in grip profile and weight do not make them same-same.

3. This is purely a function of dry fire. Neither gun or mounting process makes the dot easier to find versus the other.

How would you mount it on the S1?  Dovetail mounted optics IMO are silly.  Puts the dot up high and adds stress to the dot (i have no actual data to back that up though).

Have you shot an S2 before?  Its a significant difference.  A lot of people like it better, but some don't.

Get the S2 OR and try it.  If it's a hot commodity in your area, then if you find you don't like it, then you can always sell it.

The advantage is that it's ready to go... swap out the plates for iron sights, or a different optic whenever you want.  There is a significant cost to get your current slide milled.  Plus the downtime you'd have while you're waiting for it to be done.

They do handle and feel different. So that's subjective.

Finding the dot is all about practice.

• 2 weeks later...

I know a few shops who have found ways to mill optics for both shadow 1 and shadow 2 very low.  if that is available to you, that takes that out of the equation and its simply which pistol you like to shoot more.  S2 definitely has different ergonomics than an S1.  As for OR ready model, I personally thing with the new weight limit, and a sale price about $1500, no need for 3rd party milling and recoating, that's one heck of a value.  S2s have a great hammer from the factory, pop a reduced hammer spring in and its a very light, good trigger.  perhaps some grips.  you are ready to go fairly quickly and with little hassle.  I have heard the mounting plates are hard to get.  

But as for ditching your S1, I think the 2 main decisions are how much you want the S1 ergos over S2 ergos, and can you get an S1 milled nicely.  most places don't offer it.   

I have an SRO mounted on my TSO with a CZC side mount and is my favorite gun to shoot. The optic is further forward, I would like a Shadow 2 optic ready so I can shoot in Carry optics division.

Edited by Darrell

I have the Shadow 2 OR and currently have a plate mounted for a Romeo1 PRO which is my favorite red dot. Purchased the plate from CZC. One of the main reasons I went with the OR as opposed to milling a slide, I like the way the OR slide slightly widens at the rear so that when a plate is installed (and the red dot) they are flush with the side of the slide  which gives a true custom look.

Just sayin'

• 4 months later...

Hi pcar157, what exactly the mounting plate did you get?  I bought a plate for Delta Point Pro but the boss posts are different.  I will have to grind off them to put Romeo 1 Pro on but not sure if this will cause any red dot drift when shooting.  Thanks.

Yes, while the footprint of the DDP and the Romeo1 PRO are the same, the locations of the posts/bosses are different. You will need the specific Romeo1 PRO plate.  I purchased my Romeo1 PRO plate from CZC.

19 hours ago, pcar157 said:

Yes, while the footprint of the DDP and the Romeo1 PRO are the same, the locations of the posts/bosses are different. You will need the specific Romeo1 PRO plate.  I purchased my Romeo1 PRO plate from CZC.

I'm not doubting what you're saying, but it does not make sense to me. I'm also in the Sig world, and their RXP factory cut will handle the DPP and R1P. So I assumed they were fully swappable optics for any slide or plate that supported either one. 

1 hour ago, jejb said:

I'm not doubting what you're saying, but it does not make sense to me.

Screws are designed to take forces in tension.  Screws are not meant to take the shearing forces generated by the slide slamming into its stops in both directions.  That's the job of the recoil bosses.

If you insist on using a plate without recoil bosses eventually you'll find your sight shifting zero or falling off the pistol when one or both of the screws snap in half.

Doesn't matter if it makes sense or not, that's how it works.

5 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Screws are designed to take forces in tension.  Screws are not meant to take the shearing forces generated by the slide slamming into its stops in both directions.  That's the job of the recoil bosses.

If you insist on using a plate without recoil bosses eventually you'll find your sight shifting zero or falling off the pistol when one or both of the screws snap in half.

Doesn't matter if it makes sense or not, that's how it works.

You misunderstood what I was saying. I'm not the guy asking about removing the posts, as I told him it was a bad idea too. 

My point was if the R1P and DPP both fit the Sig RXP optic cut, why don't they both work on the DPP plate? Sig had to make the M17/M18's with the DPP footprint for the military. The R1P was introduced mostly so that Sig would have an optic of their own to fit that same footprint.

1 hour ago, jejb said:

My point was if the R1P and DPP both fit the Sig RXP optic cut, why don't they both work on the DPP plate? Sig had to make the M17/M18's with the DPP footprint for the military. The R1P was introduced mostly so that Sig would have an optic of their own to fit that same footprint.

Because it's SIG.  They cut corners everywhere.  It's what they do.

5 hours ago, jejb said:

You misunderstood what I was saying. I'm not the guy asking about removing the posts, as I told him it was a bad idea too. 

Point well taken "jejb" and I have no answer. I can only attest to the fact if you order a DPP plate from CZC and try to mount a R1 PRO everything lines up but the "bosses/posts".  Ask me how I know; rather don't ask me!!!!

On 2/7/2021 at 12:53 PM, pcar157 said:

Thanks, pcar157.  Is the link below what you bought?  Unfortnately it say does not fit S2 Optical Ready and that is what I try to install Romeo 1 Pro.  Is there another plate?  

https://czcustom.com/rds-plate-romeo1-pro.html

marcool, when I purchased the plate, I just sent Stuart an email and told him what i was looking for and he took care of it. Suggest you give him a call or send an email.

See attached photos.  Remember also these plates are sold as for P10 Optic Ready guns.  They also fit the Shadow 2 OR

optic mount.jpg

optic mount .2.jpg

2 hours ago, pcar157 said:

marcool, when I purchased the plate, I just sent Stuart an email and told him what i was looking for and he took care of it. Suggest you give him a call or send an email.

See attached photos.  Remember also these plates are sold as for P10 Optic Ready guns.  They also fit the Shadow 2 OR

Thanks, pcar157!