Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Es/sd

Davecoff13

Not really trying to solve a problem per say, but just curious how good people try to get AR ammo. I don’t have my load book here at home but I recall the sd to be in the 30s. I know pistol you work towards single digits. But being rifle velocities are in the 3000 FPS range vs 900 FPS range does that mean higher extreme spreads and a higher standard deviation is going to follow? As in if you have a pistol round that shoots 1000 FPS +/- 50 FPS that’s +/- 5 %.  And then you have a rifle round that shoots 3000 FPS +/- 150 FPS that is still +/- 5%. However you have a es of 300 vs 100 for the pistol round but the same percentage of velocity fluctuations. Hope that makes sense just curious. 

For rifle I’m normally 10-15 sd for stuff I put extra work into and 20-30 for the stuff I load in bulk. Typically 223 plinking ammo. For pistol I’m typically around 15 for sd. Single digits is pretty rare for me. Most of what I load is pistol ammo for uspsa and it’s plenty accurate for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just some fundamentals on statistics:

1. Sample size matters!  Less than 35 is not useful.

2. Extreme Spread is interesting but not as important as SD

3. Standard Deviation is a great number

You might want to shoot for something like a 95% Confidence Interval.  

FWIW-Below are one of my sets of results for my long range load. I usually test 5 sets of 5 (not sure why 4 here) and this is the avg. of the sets. This 24.0gr of 335 with a Hornady 75 BTHP. The Hornady Black, which is an accurate round in my rifles, had a SD of around 23. I'm sure my 55gr burner rounds have a higher SD as I pump them out at a much quicker rate.

Bullet Weight(gr): 75.00

Temp: 49 °F

BP: 1019.46 inHg

Altitude: 500.00

#          FPS  FT-LBS      PF

4    2734    1245.01  205.05 

3    2738    1248.66  205.35 

2    2728    1239.55  204.60 

1    2754    1263.29  206.55 

Average: 2738.5 FPS

SD: 11.1 FPS

Min: 2728 FPS

Max: 2754 FPS

Spread: 26 FPS

Shot/sec: 0.4

True MV: 2741 FPS

Group Size (in): 0.00

7 hours ago, pjb45 said:

1. Sample size matters!  Less More than 35 10 is not useful practical.

FTFY 👍

On a more serious note, while I do actually agree with you in a technical sense... running samples of >30 for each and every load increment does *not* make any kind of sense for people living in the real world.

For that matter... for someone like the OP, loading 55gn FMJ ammo for a .223 / 5.56... don't even worry about it.  Really really.

1. By the time you shoot that load far enough for the ES/SD to actually matter... that load is already sucking balls in the wind, general accuracy, etc.  Shoot it within its reasonable limits - I'd say 300yds, others might stretch to 400 - and its a non-issue, or at a minimum, the least of your worries.
  2. For whatever reason, .223 Rem / 5.56 is notoriously difficult to get good ES/SD values from, even in match guns with precision handloads using good bullets matched with suitable powders and better primers.  Tight ES/SD is just not it's game.  I fought it when I shot Service Rifle / Match Rifle, I fought it (and still) do when shooting FTR at longer distances.  Not saying it can't be done, just than the general level of effort to get a .223 down to the same ES/SD numbers *consistently* as a .308 or any other mid-sized cartridge, is significantly more.
Edited by milanuk

17 hours ago, milanuk said:

FTFY 👍

On a more serious note, while I do actually agree with you in a technical sense... running samples of >30 for each and every load increment does *not* make any kind of sense for people living in the real world.

For that matter... for someone like the OP, loading 55gn FMJ ammo for a .223 / 5.56... don't even worry about it.  Really really.

1. By the time you shoot that load far enough for the ES/SD to actually matter... that load is already sucking balls in the wind, general accuracy, etc.  Shoot it within its reasonable limits - I'd say 300yds, others might stretch to 400 - and its a non-issue, or at a minimum, the least of your worries.
  2. For whatever reason, .223 Rem / 5.56 is notoriously difficult to get good ES/SD values from, even in match guns with precision handloads using good bullets matched with suitable powders and better primers.  Tight ES/SD is just not it's game.  I fought it when I shot Service Rifle / Match Rifle, I fought it (and still) do when shooting FTR at longer distances.  Not saying it can't be done, just than the general level of effort to get a .223 down to the same ES/SD numbers *consistently* as a .308 or any other mid-sized cartridge, is significantly more.

I tend to normalize my data when I have arrived at a load I think is appropriate. 

My  Chrono allows me to download the data to a spreadsheet so the calculations are a POC. 

I calculate the dope with two different applications then set up targets next to each other at distances out to 500 meters to confirm the dope.  {I test two bullet weights at the same time}  

I have dope for X193, Hornady 68 gr, SMK 69gr, and S62 gr rounds for my Swaro.

Pretty anal for most 3Gunners and lackadaisical for the bench rest/precision rifle folks. 

Agree with milanuk.  

The OP appears locked in to one hardball load, he is pretty well stuck with whatever spread that develops.  And it doesn't matter at hardball ranges.

When I tried to make a .223 into a FTR, I was happy to see SD/ES under 15/40.  I could do a little better with .308 but not a lot.    

On the other hand, my .40-65 BPCR could be gotten down to a SD of 3 and a ES of 9-11.  Very important with a big slow bullet at 500 m - 600 yd.