Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One extractor for 38Super AND Supercomp?

vgdvc

10 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

I use aftec scomp/9 and tune it for super by adjusting the spring/s. Runs on both. 

Thanks. Could you elaborate on how you adjust the springs for 38 super vs super comp?

Since an aftec for scomp/9 is a bit tight for super, i test by removing one of the springs, rear or front, or grind a coil to shorten/loosen pressure on one spring. If it doesnt work I bend the extractor stem a bit outwards but a bit short of as super’s. Or a combination of any of these. Usually just one of these works. It also depends on the slide extractor tunnel. 

2 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Thanks. Could you elaborate on how you adjust the springs for 38 super vs super comp?

I have 2 38S/SC guns, I do nothing special for tuning the extractor. I have a SC shell case that I drilled a hole through the web of the case, and use a paperclip through it. Use a trigger pull gauge and adjust tension until I get between 25 to 28 oz. pull when the shell case comes loose from the extractor. Both S and SC work as advertised

2 hours ago, IDAHOAASHOOTER said:

Most guns will run both with one well tuned extractor,  its getting them out of the mags that can cause issues. 

Have not had any issue w/ all my 10 sti mags for super in my 2 open guns. Didnt know there are mags specific for each caliber. 

6 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

I have 2 38S/SC guns, I do nothing special for tuning the extractor. I have a SC shell case that I drilled a hole through the web of the case, and use a paperclip through it. Use a trigger pull gauge and adjust tension until I get between 25 to 28 oz. pull when the shell case comes loose from the extractor. Both S and SC work as advertised

Nice. So you adjust the extractor to fit the super comp and apparently the 38super rims do not have a problem sliding up underneath the hook/claw and against the breech face. I like your method for determining adjustment tension, seems more controlled than the "shake 3 times to see if case doesn't fall out"

That's how I set mine up, I don't shoot super very much, but it functions. I can not find the link for the extractor setup right know, but I have been using this method for many calibers for years, and it works. For me, it's no guessing. Brazo's has very good info on their site, and Steve in Allentown(this site) has a very detailed explanation of extractor fitting. I have also settled to one type of brass per caliber. Doesn't matter which kind, but when extractor is tuned to a type of brass, you are not subject to dimensional differences between manufactures. I have found this to be true more with 38SC, Armscor has enough difference, that I will not use it, it doesn't even run through the press or my pistols very well.