Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did MBX Change their mag tube design?

NOSHMJ

So I got a new MBX 155 mag today.  I noticed right away that the follower was slow to come to the top.  After a quick look, I realized that the mag tube has a crease all the way to the top, as where my old one does not.  I had to file the follower to work properly.  Is this the new norm, or did I get a lemon?  The follower had to be filed a good amount to clear the crease to work smoothly. 

20200904_220251_resize_27.jpg

20200904_215931_resize_30.jpg

Edited by NOSHMJ

Tubes Gen 1 vs gen 2 change happened along time ago. Did you buy direct from mbx? Because the follower pictured looks like the old follower. The new follower should have round edges on the back corners and the #9 on the side. Also if you’re having issues it’s best to email @mbxextreme@gmail.com before gunsmifing 

D0CED321-869F-4549-86A9-948C010FE0BC.jpeg

C2657593-0E8B-453C-B0B0-0AACFB6D3E7B.jpeg

Edited by Bwillis

10 hours ago, NOSHMJ said:

I did not get it from MBX.  I bought it new from another memeber here.  I have some brand new sping/follower sets that would need to be filed to work.  Which tube is the newer design? 

are they mbx spring and followers if so they don’t need to be filed. If they aren’t mbx they aren’t made for the mags. Mbx magazines use proprietary parts. Same for the “tuning kits” they are for sti mags not mbx mags. 

All 155 mags are Gen 2.  They did not make any Gen 1 155s.  As stated above the Gen 2 9mm follower will have a 9 on one side.  Gen 1 followers will work, but need so tweaking.  When I bought my 155s, one had a Gen 2 follower, the other a Gen 1.  They both work.

If your mag is brand new, make sure you condition the spring before using.  Leave it fully loaded for a week or more until the spring takes a set.  You may only be able to get 25 in to start, but after the spring sets you'll get 26 reloadable.

The crease in Gen 2 tubes goes all the way to the top.  In Gen 1 it doesn't.  You cannot use Gen 2 followers in Gen 1 mags.  They are too wide.  You can use Gen 1 followers in Gen 2 mags.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

The crease in Gen 2 tubes goes all the way to the top.  In Gen 1 it doesn't.  You cannot use Gen 2 followers in Gen 1 mags.  They are too wide.  You can use Gen 1 followers in Gen 2 mags.

The newest tubes are gen 1 redesigns around old blue. It is possible to use gen 1 tubes with gen 2 and gen 2.5 #9 followers, there is a trick to it. 

Edited by Bwillis

1 hour ago, echotango said:

Or just put grams in and all issues go away. 😁

since we are in a competitive sport, enjoy that disadvantage. Ill take my reliable 170s that hold 30, reloadable 29. 155s that hold 27 reloadable 26. 

On 9/6/2020 at 8:12 PM, Bwillis said:

since we are in a competitive sport, enjoy that disadvantage. Ill take my reliable 170s that hold 30, reloadable 29. 155s that hold 27 reloadable 26. 

I’ll guess I’ll “enjoy that disadvantage” to know my mags run 100%, every time on every stage.  If your equipment doesn’t run then it doesn't matter if you start 46+ rounds. Just ask a PCC shooter, they can  tell you about it. 😂😂

2 hours ago, a matt said:

I’ll guess I’ll “enjoy that disadvantage” to know my mags run 100%, every time on every stage.  If your equipment doesn’t run then it doesn't matter if you start 46+ rounds. Just ask a PCC shooter, they can  tell you about it. 😂😂

Ive never had a mbx magazine with mbx guts cause a failure. Grams and mbx springs are both .052 wire cut by wolf. Only difference being the 4 coils on bottom. 

On 9/11/2020 at 5:39 AM, Bwillis said:

Ive never had a mbx magazine with mbx guts cause a failure. Grams and mbx springs are both .052 wire cut by wolf. Only difference being the 4 coils on bottom. 

True. I have had MBX mags cause failure but it’s due to bad maintenance practices because I didn’t change the springs out soon enough. 

3 hours ago, Posvar said:

True. I have had MBX mags cause failure but it’s due to bad maintenance practices because I didn’t change the springs out soon enough. 

Just chalk that up to learning your equipment 👍🏼.

Their mag bodies are solid.  I’m still running a few of his 1st gen and since new (around 2014-ish) I’ve only adjusted the feed lips a few time just to keep them in specs and running💯%.   After I swapping to Grams guts. 

Edited by a matt

1 hour ago, a matt said:

Just chalk that up to learning your equipment 👍🏼.

Their mag bodies are solid.  I’m still running a few of his 1st gen and since new (around 2014-ish) I’ve only adjusted the feed lips a few time just to keep them in specs and running💯%.   After I swapping to Grams guts. 

Do Grams guts just drop right in?

Yes sir.  
You might need to file the right-front 1/4 of the follower, so the slide will NOT lock back on the last round.  
The best way is remove the slide from the frame, then reinstall the slide stop and  insert a mag into the grip. Then look at where the slide-stop touches the follower.  The follower pushes the slide-stop up and that’s how the slide locks back. Just file the follower at that contact point. Most will file the follower but you can file down the slide-stop or file them both. 👍🏼

9 minutes ago, a matt said:

Yes sir.  
You might need to file the right-front 1/4 of the follower, so the slide will NOT lock back on the last round.  
The best way is remove the slide from the frame, then reinstall the slide stop and  insert a mag into the grip. Then look at where the slide-stop touches the follower.  The follower pushes the slide-stop up and that’s how the slide locks back. Just file the follower at that contact point. Most will file the follower but you can file down the slide-stop or file them both. 👍🏼

Excellent. Thanks man